Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Auld-Yin submitted a new resource:

Metcalfe Models Parish Church - HO/OO Scale (1/76 scale) diorama

Metcalfe Models Parish Church

HO/OO Scale (1/76 scale)

Pre-printed card and plain card

I left these models alone for a long time, thinking, "they're only for kids". How wrong was I? These are serious models which require a good study of instruction sheets and a sensible approach to building. The following are also required: A decent modelling knife and spare blades, metal rule, a good quality "fast-grab" glue (titebond II for instance), scissors, felt pens and patience.

The parish church...

Read more about this resource...

Having built both OO and N gauge models, I much prefer Metcalfe's products to, say, Superquick's offerings, they are a much more superior and realistic offering. The best glue was, I found, Roket card glue which didn't leave the buildings looking as if a giant snail had crawled across them.

D

Deleted 60082

Built several Metcalf models for my GWR layout (actually, it's for the kids, you know). One of them was missing the glazing and one quick phone call saw replacements sent out by return mail.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Superquick are for 5 year olds, Metcalfe are only suitable for 10 year olds.
If you want to model SERIOUSLY you will opt for Scalescenes which look like the real thing instead of paper toys.
product-news - Scalescenes
I agree with your comment about Superquick, however, Metcalfes are ideal for the beginner; well-detailed and well-priced, they are very useful for small scale dioramas. I will admit, there are better models out there, but most of us model on a budget and cannot afford to chuck more than twenty quid at a model. We all like something for nothing, and Metcalfe's meets that criteria.

Must admit I am very much a Scaelscenes man. However the Metcalfe stuff is getting better & better - they seem to have solved the issues with cut edges not being coloured.

Mind you I scratch build a lot too. I can often be distracted looking at a model & ticking off the different manufacturers of items of scenery on it.

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
The main issue I've had with card kits is that they tend to warp with changes in humidity and temperature.

As I exhibit my model railway layout probably 4 - 5 times per year the models tend to see big differences in both temperature and humidity. I found that I needed to do a lot of interior reinforcement to keep them reasonably square.

The other issue is that they are also a lot more prone to physical damage when transporting the layout and hence need to be very careful when moving.

As a compromise, I've also used printed brick sheet (paper) over 1mm ply or plasticard. This link has lots of interesting stuff which could be used for wargaming as well as model railways.

Card Model Building Kits & Brick Papers For Model Railways

However, I agree that with care, card kits can make a very nice model.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
While we're discussing cardboard models, the following guys FREE CARD MODELS provide free downloadable HO/OO scale buildings, including several from the Falkland Islands (Government House, Top Malo House, A Church, Houses and some derelict shacks). Having downloaded one or two, they are quite basic, but can be enhanced with basic modelling tweaks. Brilliant if you want to show the RM Mountain & Artic Warfare Cadre's contribution to the 1982 conflict.
KINGSWAY MODELS - High Street kits are another good source for freebie downloads. If you don't want to spend all of your modelling time knocking up scenery, these are reasonably good.
Incidentally, those of you using card for your buildings may be interested in www.hunkydorycrafts.co.uk They produce card up to 350gsm which does not split when folded. Loads of colours available. Type adorable scorable into the search function. 30 A4 sheets of assorted colours for under a tenner!

Last edited:
However, I agree that with care, card kits can make a very nice model.

Here's one I scratchbuilt using Scalescenes papers, card & some embellishments from the spares box:

Bell Complete.jpg

It's my favourite pub in the world. Dreadful pic as on camera phone before I bought the DSLR.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
For those of you who took part in Operation Pagoda, and wants to place themselves on the balcony (again), this guy does a reasonable model of the embassy; FREE CARD MODELS as shown below...
_3210625.jpg

Latest Threads