Metalsmiths making headlines

Discussion in 'REME' started by worm, Dec 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A lot of you may already know this fella, and might have seen his work before....

For those that haven't however:
    clicky here for full story
    A REME mechanic has been utilising his skills to help soldiers based in southern Afghanistan create a memorable gift for their loved ones this Christmas.

Accomplished metalsmith Stuart Atkinson, who normally carries out repairs and manufactures replacement parts for armoured vehicles, has been creating everlasting metal roses in his spare time.

And the blooms, crafted in copper and brass, have proved so popular with service personnel based at Nad e Ali, in Helmand province, that the 27-year-old Craftsman has started metalwork classes so they can make the blooming lovely gifts themselves.

Stuart, who normally serves with Tidworth-based 6th Battalion, The Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME), in Wiltshire, said: "The most time-consuming thing is cutting the petals out of the brass sheets, as well as the decorative detail that goes into the stems and leaves.

"Once they have all been prepared it is simply a case of moulding them and welding it all together. They are unique and something that wives, girlfriends or mothers would appreciate.

I just thought it was good that he's been noticed. Might his prices be rising now though? :D
  2. Not for me, Im his ASM! Looks like he'll be getting me some browny points when he gets back!!

Well done!
  3. Met him in Canada, very talented and a top notch bloke!
  4. Oh well, suppose it beats making small skiing figures out of bolts for leaving gifts when you'd rather have your genny fixed
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Turner Prize entrant 2010? :D
  6. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Excellent story.

His brother is also serving, and is also an absolutely cracking bloke.
  7. and they're both crap at skiing.
  8. this realy lol
  9. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT