• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Metal Waterbottles

Does anyone know if the cylindrical metal waterbottles with the stopper at the top are suitable for storing coleman fuel. It's just that I cannot see the difference between a metal waterbottle compared to a fuel bottle apart from the spelling!!

Can't see why not. Sounds like a Sigg bottle. These are designed to hold meths for stoves. Coleman fuel is unleaded extra refined petrol so may be a bit more aggressive than meths. If the fuel attacks the sealing washer replace it with a nitrile one.

The blue sigg bottles (water) are also coated on the inside as opposed to the red (fuel) which isn't. The coating is there because of concerns of ingesting aluminium into the body. The coating is flexible so that if the bottle gets dented it will flex with the dent, not just flake off.

I'll get my coat.....

As no one has expressed any great concerns for safety, I can surmise that it is perfectly ok to store fuel in a metal water bottle but I may need to check/replace the washer

Yater_spoon

I got a red Sig bottle a few years ago as i thougt this was for fuel after putting colmans fuel in it the washer went after about a month, the next time i was in the shop i asked about this and they said that it has to be designed as a fuel bottle and the one that i got was only to be used for water, but there was a sig bottle for fuel

defender said:
Yater_spoon

I got a red Sig bottle a few years ago as i thougt this was for fuel after putting colmans fuel in it the washer went after about a month, the next time i was in the shop i asked about this and they said that it has to be designed as a fuel bottle and the one that i got was only to be used for water, but there was a sig bottle for fuel
As expected (See above)
Try asking the manufacturers
http://www.sigg.ch/
(cr4p website)

Latest Threads