Metal Waterbottles

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by yater_spoon, Feb 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if the cylindrical metal waterbottles with the stopper at the top are suitable for storing coleman fuel. It's just that I cannot see the difference between a metal waterbottle compared to a fuel bottle apart from the spelling!!
  2. Can't see why not. Sounds like a Sigg bottle. These are designed to hold meths for stoves. Coleman fuel is unleaded extra refined petrol so may be a bit more aggressive than meths. If the fuel attacks the sealing washer replace it with a nitrile one.
  3. To avoid the risk of swigging out of the fuel bottle, use a MSR multifuel stove and run it on vodka.
  4. Sigg bottles, red for fuel, blue for water. Simple really.
  5. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Colour coded for the yanks amongst us. The early fuel ones used to be bare aluminium. Sorted when wrapped in a bit of old roll mat for padding.
  6. The blue sigg bottles (water) are also coated on the inside as opposed to the red (fuel) which isn't. The coating is there because of concerns of ingesting aluminium into the body. The coating is flexible so that if the bottle gets dented it will flex with the dent, not just flake off.

I'll get my coat.....
  7. Oh right, if we're getting uber technical, the red (fuel) bottles also have a reinforced base to prevent deformation under pressure.
  8. As no one has expressed any great concerns for safety, I can surmise that it is perfectly ok to store fuel in a metal water bottle but I may need to check/replace the washer
  9. Yater_spoon

I got a red Sig bottle a few years ago as i thougt this was for fuel after putting colmans fuel in it the washer went after about a month, the next time i was in the shop i asked about this and they said that it has to be designed as a fuel bottle and the one that i got was only to be used for water, but there was a sig bottle for fuel
  10. As expected (See above)
    Try asking the manufacturers
    (cr4p website)
  11. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Interesting, maybe the wrong washer had been put on at the factory. The plain alloy bottle I have is years old and still has the same washer.
  12. Their website doesn't list any bottles for fuel!
  13. The inside of my plain silver Sigg flask is quite heavily corroded from the meths thats been in it.