Metal Mugs

Haven't a ferking clue mate ???!

However, in true Booty fashion, they soon took to boiling loads of water in them for washing/shaving/etc, whereas we all promptly lost/broke/sold ours (in a true Airborne fashion ???!)

I'm not sure if they are still on issue now, maybe I should pop along and try to exchange mine ?

For anyone who hasn't been issued one (or two) I'd recommend the BCB/Brit issue one (as sold by RV Ops http://www.rvops.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20&products_id=1154 and others) or the US ALICE issue water bottle and mug and heater (I think ours is a copy of the US issue one with the metal mug and heater fitting on the bottom of the mug)

Anyone else been issued two metal ones ?

Here's a thought, why when none of the above mugs are issued (to everyone) does the good old Hexi cooker have a stand for the metal mug?. It never used to.

And why in this century are we still using something which gives off toxic fumes and leaves a tar-like coating on your mess tin/mug ? They must have invented a cleaner form of hexi by now ?!

Am I right in saying the German version of hexi burns hotter and cleaner ?

Goose_Rider said:
Issued within 5 AB Bde approx ten years ago, same for Booties as well from what I saw when some of them (59 IIRC) came to us for some pre-deployment trg.

I've seen them in the shops and wondered why people buy them, maybe not on general issue - anyone else been issued them ?

Edited to add: the ones I was issued had 'BCB' and an NSN stamped on them (we all got two each)
I too was issued them at 5 AB about the same time and previous to that with the AMF (L).

brucewillis said:
Here's a thought, why when none of the above mugs are issued (to everyone) does the good old Hexi cooker have a stand for the metal mug?. It never used to.
'cup converter' now included with the cooker. Specific to BCB type mug. I think those are only issued for those going to cold places?.

Really popular mug with civvie 'bushcraft' types cos their God Ray Mears uses one.

Lady_Macbeth said:
brucewillis said:
'cup converter' now included with the cooker. Specific to BCB type mug. I think those are only issued for those going to cold places?.

Really popular mug with civvie 'bushcraft' types cos their God Ray Mears uses one.
Thank you m'lady!

I second the big steel one. That's the one I was issued a few years back, does what it's meant to.

I bought one of the other type with the plastic rim ages before, used it about twice before the rim snapped. Also, the rim had an annoying tendancy to let some brew go under it as well as over it, leading to a dribbly chin and oh-so-comical offers to lend you a bib/safety mug etc... :pissedoff:

Goose_Rider said:
Bennett said:
http://www.ukkitmonster.com/product_info.php?cPath=78&products_id=24 Kit monster do the one you want, and handily give you the NSN for it so you can see if you can get your QM to order one for you. Although I recomend the steel BCB one its great.
Had these issued ten years ago, not sure how they manage to sell any if it's available through the system ?

The ones with the removable plastic bit are gash, get the pukka steel one (don't bother with the black coated one it only wears off anyway - we were issued two of the plain steel ones and they are bomb-proof)
I've got one of these 'crusader' cup and cooker stand. They are very good, but like GR says, dont get the black one, the coating soon comes off. Just get the steel one, and if you only half fill it, the rim doesnt get so hot anyway that you can't drink out of it comfortably.

The cooker is pretty efficient, even with gel fuel, but those single sachets are arrse, as there is not enough in one sachet to warm a brew. Get it in tubes or bottles if you can, but they are hard to come by.

The cooker, mug bottle combo fits comfortably into a PLCE WB pouch, with room to spare for fuel/Hexi etc;

They do have an NSN on them, but I don't know anyone who has got one through stores.

Goose_Rider said:
And why in this century are we still using something which gives off toxic fumes and leaves a tar-like coating on your mess tin/mug ? They must have invented a cleaner form of hexi by now ?!

Am I right in saying the German version of hexi burns hotter and cleaner ?
I hate Hexi.

Trioxane, used by the US Forces is fearsomely hot, lights readily, is lighter than its equivalent dose of hexi, doesnt have any unpleasant odours and leaves little or no tar on your cookware. Cheap too. 99p for a 3 bar pack from USMC.

'Bout time the MOD looked into this. Anyone seen the COSHH data sheet for Hexi? Its an H&S nightmare and environmentally very unfriendly!

brucewillis said:
You know your pic looks a bit like our Demi!
I didn't think she was 'your Demi' anymore. Didn't she cradle snatch some snot nose little boy young enough to be her son? I'm surprised at a man like you taking that....

She left me because, she didn't like me carrying out metal mug tests on the hexi burner, in the middle of the sitting room carpet.

I thought after her GI Jane role she would have joined in. But she ran out the house screaming and caught the bus to her mams.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bluecoveralls REME 4
kayak8889 Classified Ads 2
quiller Weapons, Equipment & Rations 5