Metal detectors at airports

Discussion in 'Travel' started by skid2, Mar 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Back to the font of all knowledge.
    Been travelling for years I remember it when aeroplanes were fun.
    And as soon as the metal detectors were in I was like the local entertainment. Bored kids at an airport. Go with Skid2 and watch him go through the metal detector.
    The other week off to Yoorip through a non Uk Airport Lurched through the portal and nothing. No ding. Put the arms out for a pat search and was waved into my chair. Same thing happened on the way back, through the metal detector, nothing. Got a quick competant pat down search and wheeled on my way.
    Now I'm sure these airports take their security as seriously as anywhere else. I looked, I dont have any extra scars so the tin hasn't been removed.
    Have these things been reconfirgured or recalibrated?
    Ta

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

nah they are just crap and an excuse to piss us off and make someone some money.

years ago they tested a load and all you had to do was put anything metal down by your ankles as they don't work until a foot off the floor. one reason why you have to take your shoes off.

they love me as I deliberately wear boots so hold up the queue for fifteen minutes allthough years ago I stripped down to my lycra shorts and put everything through the detector to prove a point. I was a bit buff then, probably scare the kids now.

3. My knees often set them off for some reason, no idea why no metalwork in me.

4. Shoes are removed because Richard Reid had a device hidden in his shoe. It did not ping the detectors because it held no metal content.

Shoes are now radiographed as a matter of course.

5. Could a buttplug sized explosive blow a hole in a plane?

6. Grumblegrunt

do you leave your prince albert in?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Grumblegrunt

yup. mythbusters did a good thing on explosive decompression which appears more survivable now than when the comet was going off the radar screens.

sidney allthorpe proved the effectiveness of shoe, pants and bottle bombs

8. phil245

phil245 LE Book Reviewer

it depends how big your arse hole is, if your arse hole is standard size, then probably not. but if you have got an arse hole like the Mersey tunnel, then more than likely yes.

9. My wife has two hip replacements and they never fail to set the alarms off in the UK, mainland Europe or the States. Its most fun in America as they make her stand in a glass cubicle with extra thick glass, one day I swear they are going to gas her.

Posted from the limits of sight and sound (iOS or Android)

10. They took swabs off my hands and wheel chair in the US. They were very polite an professional about it. Something I suspect UKBA would struggle with.

11. On my way to Atlanta, they couldn't find my Swiss Army Knife, but they found the bottle of water in my rucky.

I didn't even know the sharp item was in there.

12. Went through Heathrow the other day, took all the metal off myself (including my boots) and I still set the detector off (no metal in me). So they stuck me in that body scanner thing and that detected metal, so the guy patted me down and found nothing. Feckin useless.

13. Happened to me at least 3-4 times so far, both back home and here in Europe. Only when I got to the destination and started unpacking my backpack did I have an "oh, ****!" moment. And it was my Leatherman Wave which made all the journeys, not exactly a compact tool.

The best experience I ever had was when the Austrian security guys found a screw driver set in the back pack (one of those cheap all in one thingies with an LED) and asked me a few questions - again, no idea I had it there. But determined that I wasn't trying to unscrew the rivets on the plane using the tiny bit heads and actually returned it back to me and sent me on my merry way - no f-ing way that would happen with the TSA goons!

14. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

There is also (not related, AFAIK, to any of the above) a random percentage of pax who get the close-up scan anyway, even after clearing "The Arch". I joked about that with a guy at Gatwick last year … "I assume I'm a random check?". "Yes, Sir, just one of those!"

15. You are joking right?? I've had much more pleasant experiences here in the U.K. than with the TSA mob. I am not saying all the TSA are fecking goons but I seemed to have a better reception here on average.

That said, never had any bad experiences at DTW (Detroit Metro) which is my "home" airport. Also, one of more pleasant bigger airports to pass through or spend time at - surprisingly.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-best-and-worst-airports/15