Met Police take over Maddie Investigation

Scotland Yard takes over the inquiry into Maddie's disappearance from Portuguese police after they fail to make a breakthrough in six years | Mail Online

I think the Home Secretary is expecting miracles or making a very expensive and pointless play for Press opinion.

[pause for 5 minutes to allow you all to speculate about who did it, regurgitate last year's maddie jokes and post that Mr Men pic]

In my opinion the chance of any conviction is nil because of various jurisdictional issues and the passage of time - this is just to appease the readerships of various papers.

You would think that the police would have been working in conjunction with each other in the first place.

Good luck to them anyway.

After six years? I doubt it. This is a PR exercise by the police/government. The McCanns must have some big-time clout to keep this case going after so long and officialdom want to be able to say that they tried.

Anyone know of any other instance where the head of the Governments Media Monitoring Unit was parachuted in to take control of the media and message?

My contempt for Dr and Dr McCann is on a par with my contempt for the Blairs.

It still wouldn't surprise me if they were involved in Maddie's disappearance. (The McCanns I mean, although I wouldn't put anything past that grinning spiv Blair.)

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
PLEASE be careful! The McCann's are notoriously litigious and, whatever you may feel about their behaviour as parents, do NOT accuse them on here of anything that could be taken as defamatory. Please...

PLEASE be careful! The McCann's are notoriously litigious and, whatever you may feel about their behaviour as parents, do NOT accuse them on here of anything that could be taken as defamatory. Please...
Mr McCann looks slightly ginger.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Is commenting on their inept parenting skills defamatory? I'd hate for them to gain more financial benefit because they abandoned their children in a hotel room.

Is commenting on their inept parenting skills defamatory? I'd hate for them to gain more financial benefit because they abandoned their children in a hotel room.
Hopefully the moderators will act slightly more sensibly and less like deer caught in the headlights. Given the McCann's own account of what happened, criticism of their parenting is fair comment and shouldn't fall foul of anyone's over-sensitive delete button.

Thats all of my post binned then...

I hope the Met's review turns up the suspects and the truth as to what happened, using all the evidence and forensics that have already been carried out and discarded by the original investigation.

After six years? I doubt it. This is a PR exercise by the police/government. The McCanns must have some big-time clout to keep this case going after so long and officialdom want to be able to say that they tried.
Minister for Disability, Esther McVey is a big mate of Kate McCann. Prior to standing at the 2010 election she was on the McCann's Campaign Fund committee. Though she resigned from that a couple of years before the last election,presumably to focus on getting into Parliament.

She also once ran a petition demanding greater UK police involvement in the investigation

No doubt they have other mates with contacts too.