Met Police PR disaster at Westminster Bridge

Apologies if this story has already been discussed on here.

Last Thursday the Met Police decided that it would be a great idea to have their very own 'clap for the NHS type of publicity stunt on Westminster Bridge. The idea being that they would descend enmass on the bridge with half of their fleet of cars and turn the lights on, whilst officers lined the bridge clapping along like a bunch of seals.
Unfortunately, it descended into a farce when joe public and his children decided that they'd have some of that too, and joined in.
Therefore making a total mockery of the social distancing rules.
Obviously 'Dick of the Yard' was there to lead from the front in all of this.
Again, apologies if this has already been discussed on here.

Applauding the people who will be looking after them next week when they come down with Coronavirus.

Apologies if this story has already been discussed on here.

Last Thursday the Met Police decided that it would be a great idea to have their very own 'clap for the NHS type of publicity stunt on Westminster Bridge. The idea being that they would descend enmass on the bridge with half of their fleet of cars and turn the lights on, whilst officers lined the bridge clapping along like a bunch of seals.
Unfortunately, it descended into a farce when joe public and his children decided that they'd have some of that too, and joined in.
Therefore making a total mockery of the social distancing rules.
Obviously 'Dick of the Yard' was there to lead from the front in all of this.
Again, apologies if this has already been discussed on here.

So how many were participating in the circle jerk, instead of doing the usual ho hum routine?
Not the time to pat yourself on the back.

Jocks in Fife got in on the action - also forgetting social distancing.
0_EVwAtH_WoAAV_a4jpeg.jpg

We had a similar event in Brighton. The reporter was at pains to inform us that the coppers were off duty at the time of the event.
fire.JPG

And Northumbria
image.jpg

And Chesterfield,Derbyshire.
b25lY21zOjY3Njg1NjY3LWEyYjctNGJkYS1iYzg0LTYyNDlmZmQ5MTI0NDpjYzJmNDE0OS05MzlkLTQzMDItYjYyOS0xMj...png

and also Milton Keynes.
Unknown.jpeg

Probably many many more as well.
Ironically, nurses following the cortege of their colleague who had succumbed to Covid 19 also forgot about it.
NINTCHDBPICT000577516187.jpg

Is it any wonder that Joe Public are unsure of what they can and cannot do?

View attachment 467535
We had a similar event in Brighton. The reporter was at pains to inform us that the coppers were off duty at the time of the event.
View attachment 467536
And Northumbria
View attachment 467537
View attachment 467538
and also Milton Keynes.
View attachment 467539
Ironically, nurses following the cortege of their colleague who had succumbed to Covid 19 also forgot about it.
View attachment 467541
What a joke.

View attachment 467535
View attachment 467536
And Northumbria
View attachment 467537
View attachment 467538
and also Milton Keynes.
View attachment 467539
View attachment 467541

It does look like a very effective social distancing effort. You lot might as well just bite the bullet and try to open your economy now. If your first responders can't follow the rules what chance does the public have.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Personally, I'm not into this clapping malarkey. I'm sure the nice NHS staff would be better off if the great unwashed agreed a 1% hike in the basic tax rate to give the NHS a pay rise. I wonder how many would clap that?

Well those look fine. They're stood 2m apart. What's the problem?

a bit selective in your choice of photos there try this one from the same bunch

and this ..
fire.JPG

Typical crap attempt by police farce sorry service leaders sorry "managers" to engage the public & failing miserably!!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
This must have been an internal email, as our local blue light peeps also did something similar, but they were quite obviously social distancing.

Ritch

LE
a bit selective in your choice of photos there try this one from the same bunch

and this ..
fire.JPG

Typical crap attempt by police farce sorry service leaders sorry "managers" to engage the public & failing miserably!!

Yes, I deleted the ones that obviously show lack of social distancing so I could point out the others that are following it. Not trying to be selective at all.

What really grips my shît is there are plenty of people on social media slamming the police for every little thing they do. They're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't.

DITA

MIA
View attachment 467535
View attachment 467536
And Northumbria
View attachment 467537
View attachment 467538
and also Milton Keynes.
View attachment 467539
View attachment 467541

[devils advocate]
I get what you're saying, but if they are all working together, on shift together, sharing cars/vans/ambulances/fire engines/small offices together, then surely that too makes a mockery of social distancing?

Or maybe, they just figured that as they all work in close proximity of each other on a daily basis anyway, why shouldn't they stand together and clap to show support/solidarity with their blue light colleagues? I mean, I'm pretty sure its hard for two coppers to socially distance when they are sat in a marked car on patrol together?

[/devils advocate]

Bunch of morons, what a drain on future NHS facilities/assets.

[devils advocate]
I get what you're saying, but if they are all working together, on shift together, sharing cars/vans/ambulances/fire engines/small offices together, then surely that too makes a mockery of social distancing?

Or maybe, they just figured that as they all work in close proximity of each other on a daily basis anyway, why shouldn't they stand together and clap to show support/solidarity with their blue light colleagues? I mean, I'm pretty sure its hard for two coppers to socially distance when they are sat in a marked car on patrol together?

[/devils advocate]

Bunch of morons, what a drain on future NHS facilities/assets.

Well perhaps they are just trying to help out herd immunity. If the people responsible for policing society can't do it, then any lock down is a lost cause. No social distancing or PPE to be found.

Yes, I deleted the ones that obviously show lack of social distancing so I could point out the others that are following it. Not trying to be selective at all.

What really grips my shît is there are plenty of people on social media slamming the police for every little thing they do. They're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't.
I think that you'll find that the condemnation of the police, over the last few years, that has come from conservatively minded folks, is because we are sick and tired of seeing the police pander to minority groups. I don't want to see police cars decked out in LGBT rainbow colours, and nor do I want to see dancing police officers at the Notting Hill Carnival.
I want to see the police acting like a police force rather than a social service.

Getting as bad as los Yanquis, who will applaud the opening of a packet of crisps.

DITA

MIA
Well perhaps they are just trying to help out herd immunity. If the people responsible for policing society can't do it, then any lock down is a lost cause. No social distancing or PPE to be found.

Hey, I'm only playing devils advocate.

But that is part of my point. They are physically unable to carry out social distancing in certain situations. Sharing an ambulance/police car/fire engine would surely put them in jeopardy. Carrying out shift work in cramped locations etc is going to negate social distancing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning their actions. Its foolish for anyone to have thought that the public, on seeing the coppers and the rest getting together to clap, wouldn't have thought 'lets go and join in with that opportunity for facetime in the local news'.

Maybe what I'm saying is that while the initial sentiment was good, and it was well intention-ed, it was executed very poorly.

Latest Threads