Met Police and National Anthem

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by fairy_nuff, Jun 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know why the Met Police do not stand at attention when the National Anthem is played, just loll about like a sack of spuds? I was at the Colonel's Review today and it was noticable

2. because they have different rules and dont give a shiit! not my words ! but from a serving police orrificer!
    but said officer is from cheshire and would salute royalty!!
    edited to add! at hendon its down to ethnic or religious background what ever that may be!?? but the MET are a pretty slack!!

3. They are supposed to be focussed on the crowd and ensure that no nobbers jump over over the barrier and create a "public order offence" or "risk to security"!

Remember, it takes a nobber to catch a nobber!

4. Doesn't surprise me. Because they are not soldiers no matter how hard and battle ready some of them think they are. soldiers are part of Her Majesty's armed Forces and so i would think it only right that they(3 months can't wait til i can include myself in that category) stand to attention on the playing of the anthem of the nation they are sworn to protect. coppers are just civvies with a bit of power to act patronisingly superior should that be their pre-disposition to do so.. don't get me wrong though certainly not all bobbies are nobs just some!

5. Despite the facetious content, you actually hit the nail on the head as to why they do not.

6. I suppose it depends on the situation - if conducting crowd control duties then I would rather them observent than stood to attention - if it was a Met Police Parade, then I would expect them ( no matter their ethnic or religious background) to stand to attention!!

7. When we do this stuff we are there operationally , facing the crowd, listening to radios etc etc, we are not part of the parade and don't do any of the march and starch type stuff. On the odd occassion we do do anything cermeonial the drill staff at Hendon (ex Guards WO2's) come down and do a refresher. To be honest apart from a couple of funerals I haven't done any drill in the 16 years I have been in and we certainly dont go round saluting people.

8. However, they still wear the Queens' crown on their cap badge. So, whilst they are still on duty and maintaining order etc. I see no good reason why they cannot put their heels together and assume a position resembling "attention", while watching the crowd for the duration of the National Anthem. Or is that "multi-skilling" which attracts overtime!

9. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

A chum of mine (ex Scaleyback) and two other ex soldiers went through plod basic and taught the slackers a thing or two about cutting about the drill square in proper form.

Of course, a couple of intakes later some half wit jobsworth complained about abuse and the whole concept of drill was dropped.

Bunch of jessies the bally lot of them.

They probably campaigned not to stand for the anthem lest it straightened the curves in their creases or brought their lardy bellies in line.

10. Drill is still taught at Hendon and there is a passing out parade at the end of the IPLDP phase.

Trotsky

11. Absolutely!! thats what i was saying i wasnt defending them!! of course they should but like i said doesnt surprise me as a lot of them are knobs. standing to attention to the national anthem is somehting i think everybody with a duty to protect the people of the nation should do as an acknowledgement of thie role.

12. Sounds like the Legion of Frontiersmen.

13. Agree with Trotsky - those who need to be looking outwards should concentrate on doing so.

What really p*s me off are these so called 'Sports Celebrities' who, during the national anthem seem to have an uncontrollable urge to scratch their genitals or wave to their mates

14. I disagree with you. The military and police are from different cultures and that should be respected. I'm not ill at ease when seeing Met Police officers stood legs apart, backs straight with arms folded behind their backs as the norm on ceremonial instances such as the National Anthem.