Met Mascot "Too White"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rockape34, Nov 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :roll: HERE

[quote="The Times]
    Met introduces the PC PCs
    Sean O'Neill, Crime Editor

Scotland Yard is spending £15,000 on ethnically diverse police mascots after complaints that PCSO Steve, its current rubber representative, is too white, too male, and too blond.

Three new mascots – to be known as “Police Pals” – will make up, with Steve, Britain’s first foam-headed Safer Neighbourhood team. A new police community support officer called Sunita will be joined by two police constables, one male and one female, who will appear at schools across London from next year.

The initiative follows the creation of a working group within the force’s Diversity and Citizen Focus Directorate to tackle “race and gender” issues within the Met’s mascot division.

Details were revealed yesterday in written answers from Sir Ian Blair, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner, to the London Assembly. Sir Ian disclosed that £600 was being spent on designing the mascots and £14,400 had been set aside to provide four uniforms for each team member. Helmets for their enormous foam heads will prove particularly expensive.

The Met’s mascot deployment may have implications for other public services where puppet-like figures with outsized heads play a prominent public relations role. Postman Pat and Fireman Sam could both find themselves rendered unrepresentative and out of date. But construction industry insiders said that Bob the Builder would survive unscathed.

PCSO Steve was developed in Cheam, southwest London, and was modelled on an actual member of the local Safer Neighbourhood team.

Complaints about him first appeared in The Job, the Met’s monthly magazine, in September when a Sergeant Wright wrote about using the mascot at a community event.

“An Asian member of our team agreed to be Steve,” the sergeant said. “He was wearing a short-sleeved shirt and because the character would not have dark-skinned arms it became apparent that the officer would not be able to perform the role. Female team members also felt isolated.” The Met responded by saying that it was addressing the race and gender issues around mascots, prompting Richard Barnes, a Conservative member of the London Assembly, to table a series of questions to Sir Ian.

After receiving the answers, Mr Barnes told The Times yesterday: “Are they serious? There are so many issues that are of greater importance than the gender of a giant foam doll.” PC Geoff Parker, an officer stationed in Islington, was equally disappointed. In a letter to The Job, he said: “One of the things that is damaging our job and our relations with the community is this constant overbearing political correctness.”

[/quote]

2. I'm sure we've covered this already, but I can't be arrsed to search for it.

3. Thats not quite correct. The real story is that the PCSO doll was so succesful that the Met are investing in More dolls, not replacing the origional. Was cleared up on Radio 5 last night

4. Can we have a Gollywog in a Panda car?

5. Is 'Panda' a politically correct term? Are you implying that pandas never commit crime, and that other animals do? or do pandas need their own police cars as they commit more crime than any other animal?

Bloody immigrant animals, coming over here, sponging off our Zoos and wildlife parks......

6. Don't be rediculous, Panda's are an endangered species and are far less likely to mate if offended.

7. Are they going to have a ginger one? No- that would just be stupid...

8. A ginger panda?

9. [/quote]

Can I suggest that £15,000 seems a tad too much for a few costumes:

http://www.mascot-costumes.co.uk/prod2.cfm?product=38495

Used for illustration only not wanting to stereotype any profession!! :lol:

10. "The Met’s mascot deployment may have implications for other public services where puppet-like figures with outsized heads play a prominent public relations role. Postman Pat and Fireman Sam could both find themselves rendered unrepresentative and out of date. But construction industry insiders said that Bob the Builder would survive unscathed. "
    Should these not be Postman Plod and Firearm Sam

11. I'm deeply offended.

Like the idea of a golliwog, though. If they got a black one I bet they won't call it 'Sambo'.

12. Can I suggest that £15,000 seems a tad too much for a few costumes:

http://www.mascot-costumes.co.uk/prod2.cfm?product=38495

Used for illustration only not wanting to stereotype any profession!! :lol:[/quote]

well, the breakdown is

Doll: £450
    Consultant to decide what the doll looks like (4 hours work): £10000
    Health and Safety risk assessment: £550
    General "expenses": £4000

13. They could always put in a "Black Maria"

14. Just to be fair, how are they going to represent the Homosexual Community? (It's bound to come up.)

I picture a giant foam representative of a Bandit, fully equipped with pink baton and fetching leather shorts. Called 'Bruce'.

15. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Shurely 'Brian'?