Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Met Gun amnesty

4(T)

LE
Yes I noticed the disparity too but if they're mentioning the more pedestrian pistols, rifles etc I'd expect the MG to be in there too as it is so unusual.

IIRC the MG is implied somewhere as a de-act.

"“A MG42 machine gun used in World War 2 was certainly a surprise however it poses much less risk than some of the other items handed in."

The "one weapon found in a shed could have had “devastating consequences” in the wrong hands." is most likely the featured Mauser G98 rifle, which does appear to be a live Section 1 weapon, or the pistol.

I imagine that even the Police couldn't get too screamy about something that is perfectly legal and harmless.

I don't understand how they can even be proud to list the "17 Air Weapons were surrendered including eight rifles, eight pistols and a gas gun, Two BB Guns, Three starting pistols, One replica 8mm pistol, Four realistic looking toy guns", all of which arguably falls within the Public's perception of "FFS, go and deal with something thats actually a threat to public safety"...

I'm not surprised he looks comfortable with it. At the bottom of the article is,

All the items handed in during the amnesty
41 lots of ammunition, including 450 shotgun cartridges and more than 150 9mm pistol rounds

41 lethal firearms including four revolvers, five rifles, eight shotguns and 14 pistols (Notice anything missing? Like a functioning belt fed machine gun?)

17 Air Weapons were surrendered including eight rifles, eight pistols and a gas gun

Two BB Guns

Three starting pistols

One replica 8mm pistol

Four realistic looking toy guns (Ah, there we go)

also no mention of de-activated guns!! I wonder how many of the "lethal firearms" were actually not firearms?

Blogg

LE
IIRC the MG is implied somewhere as a de-act.

"“A MG42 machine gun used in World War 2 was certainly a surprise however it poses much less risk than some of the other items handed in."

The "one weapon found in a shed could have had “devastating consequences” in the wrong hands." is most likely the featured Mauser G98 rifle, which does appear to be a live Section 1 weapon, or the pistol.

I imagine that even the Police couldn't get too screamy about something that is perfectly legal and harmless.

I don't understand how they can even be proud to list the "17 Air Weapons were surrendered including eight rifles, eight pistols and a gas gun, Two BB Guns, Three starting pistols, One replica 8mm pistol, Four realistic looking toy guns", all of which arguably falls within the Public's perception of "FFS, go and deal with something thats actually a threat to public safety"...

Some years ago saw some proudly posted up pics of an amnesty haul

One of them was a Spud Gun. With a big red "suspected firearm" tag on it. Others were toy guns with bright plastic muzzle caps.

The correct description should be "roughly firearm shaped object"

Yes, the government and Police have found a nice neat way to ban stuff without the tiresome need to compensate owners.

E.g. if you have a few tens of thousands of pounds invested in a de-act collection (as many do, apparently) then its now worthless unless you spend a few hundred per gun to have it re-cut and re-proofed. Even then it'll still be worthless, unless you can find some rich mug willing to pay top dollar for welded up junk that'll probably itself become illegal in due course when the next change in specification is dreamed up.

There will be a growing black market for pre EU compliant deacs creating another group of "gun owning" villains for social media to vilify.

The problem is there is no paper trail for them to follow, they'd have to catch you in the act. I've got a nice little collection including an "old spec" SLR that would have fetched me £1500 before the new legislation. Drive it underground & who knows what the prices will be. Not worth the risk personally but that's just me.

This isn't based on navel gazing, I've had a few phone calls from collectors asking if I have or know of someone with a specific piece for sale. There are people out there willing to take the risk.

QUOTE]

Don't be so sure, your average plod knows Jack about deacs.

I've mentioned it before on the site but just to reiterate. I bought a piece from a guy in London who was selling his collection to help finance a new house. He had stuff I'd only ever seen in books or museums. Bought them all years ago when they were dirt cheap and were then worth at least 10 times or more what he'd paid.
I estimated he had easily £50-60k worth of stuff.

Police were called one day & two turned up and both looked instantly twitchy. He then explained they were all deactivated but you could have a good play with them as all the bits still moved. It was all legal & above board and of no danger to the public.

Male copper brightens immensely and had a good 10 minutes playtime before he had to be on his way, his oppo a little female PC would have none of it and still behaved like he was Carlos the Jackal.

He had some real rarities.
Johnson M1941, M1 Garand
MP40 liberated by Tito's mob & covered in partisan engravings
MP41
Arisaka emergency rifle built just before the surrender
Immaculate tripod mounted Vickers and MG42

The lucky fcuker sold them all off a few years before it all went Pete Tong.

What's t
But, on the other hand, would argue with some angry bloke pointing it at you and demanding the ******* money, grandad?

What's that got to do with the police padding figures in order to make a firearms amnesty look a lot more effective than it actually is to the uneducated public and press?

But to answer you question, luckily enough I live in a part of the UK where if faced with such a situation most of the people I know, won't argue, but just shoot the angry bloke. ;)

Last edited:
Do photographs of weapons count ? well its getting silly....
Photos like this will be handed in soon.

In fact I'm hoping there's a gun amnesty my way soon as I could turn up to the station with a box full of these.

There has been much rejoicing in the popular press about the success of the Metropolitan Police's recent gun amnesty, and how many terrifying weapons are now "off the streets". Indeed the Met themselves tweeted a picture of an ancient Webley air pistol and two machine guns, both deactivated:

World War Two machine guns among 140 firearms handed to police during #GiveUpYourGun campaign

However it did get me wondering why anybody would hand in a deactivated Bren gun when these things can be sold to anyone, as a wall hanger or curio, for anything from £500-700?

Are there now different standards of deactivation so that what may have been ok a few years ago is now unacceptable so the firearms in question would still be section 5, and so able to be returned to being fully working weapons?
So, rusted air pistols and a fake duelling pistol wall ornament from grandad's attic, not Scorpion machine pistols from the N London Turkish mafia...... no change there then from the last fifty years of gun/knife/amnesty gimmicks.

Some items handed into Suffolk Constabulary. Presumably that spherical object is a grenade?
Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 15.53.06.png

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile on the Isle of Wight . Some of the stuff handed in so far View attachment 305154

Oxfordshires contribution to the effort, including piles of BB guns.
Seems the mess Webley is featuring across the regions.

It seems that the IoW and Oxfordshire have the same type of people collecting the same type of weapons or they both used a stock photo!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I wonder if the Americans would get such a good response if they offered an amnesty ! :-D

They have tried a number of ill conceived ideas, IIRC the worst was a "guns for sneekers" (trainers). Where youths were encouraged to hand in handguns for a pair of high end shoes donated by Nike or the like. Result, a massive increase in home invasions and break ins by criminals looking for guns to trade in.

ches

LE
Each amnesty is generally a PR driven 'look at us' stunt for plod. The footage & images of tables full of gatts, the vast majority of which a airsoft stuff or deacs makes them looks utter buffoons in the eyes of anyone with a basic knowledge of firearms - which obviously excludes the RAF Regt

Latest Threads