Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Met Gun amnesty

There has been much rejoicing in the popular press about the success of the Metropolitan Police's recent gun amnesty, and how many terrifying weapons are now "off the streets". Indeed the Met themselves tweeted a picture of an ancient Webley air pistol and two machine guns, both deactivated:

World War Two machine guns among 140 firearms handed to police during #GiveUpYourGun campaign

However it did get me wondering why anybody would hand in a deactivated Bren gun when these things can be sold to anyone, as a wall hanger or curio, for anything from £500-700?

Are there now different standards of deactivation so that what may have been ok a few years ago is now unacceptable so the firearms in question would still be section 5, and so able to be returned to being fully working weapons?

There was some new legislation last year, which made the sale/transfer of older deacs illegal. For them to be legally sold they need to be the new EU spec, though older spec deacs can still legally held by the people who owned them before the change in the law.

4(T)

LE
The Police are now so blindly politicised that they'd rather have their triumphant self-congratulatory puff piece in the press, rather than do a bit of public service and tell those people that they do not need to hands in perfectly legal items.

Why do the Police trumpet "successes" that even the dimmest members of the public can see are fatuous? Cannot the Police understand how they look to the general public?

Read the Daily Mail comments; even that erudite and learned part of the population apparently has a better grasp of firearms legislation than the Police...

Personally, I'd like to nominate the 'Met's PR Director for the Booker Prize.

What is the machine gun at the back?

untitled.png

Lemme guess - a mixture of mostly de-acs, airguns, softair and toys.

It's not actually an amnesty though. My understanding is that if the guns link to a crime they will come after you.

So this will scare non-criminals into handing things in. Nothing more than a PR stunt.

It's not actually an amnesty though. My understanding is that if the guns link to a crime they will come after you.

So this will scare non-criminals into handing things in. Nothing more than a PR stunt.
Maintaining a chain of evidence might be a bit of a problem.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
"...11 pistol guns, 10 hand guns, 9 revolvers..."

So, would that actually be thirty handguns, then...?
Is there a difference between "pistol guns", "hand guns" & "revolvers"?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Slime

LE

Who knows ;)
As 'hand' guns have been handed in I'm just waiting for WW2 waist and chin guns to be handed in :)

Double win for the Met here - deadly assault rifle AND a knife safely off the streets:
upload_2017-11-22_11-17-55.jpeg

Chuck in a tin of 0.177 Diablo pellets and that's 500 rounds of ammunition for the hat trick.

Blogg

LE
Double win for the Met here - deadly assault rifle AND a knife safely off the streets:
View attachment 304452

Chuck in a tin of 0.177 Diablo pellets and that's 500 rounds of ammunition for the hat trick.

Tsk. You forgot to attach the big red label saying "Suspected Firearm".

Which it can then be classified as until somebody gets around to formally deciding it is not. Which is handy.

1&12

LE
Museums are chopping them up these days....

If the things get as far as museums.
Seems that in the past amnesty firearms were shipped abroad and sold.
I believe that's where a load of the post Dunblane hand in hand guns went too.

NSP

LE

Dunno. That's why I'm asking!!

"...11 pistol guns, 10 hand guns, 9 revolvers..."

So, would that actually be thirty handguns, then...?

My thoughts exactly, it just goes to show that either the muppet issuing the statement has no idea WTF any firearm is or the journalist, probably both. I mean air weapond FFS, as far as I know any adult can still buy them LEGALLY!
Methinks the Met is just trying to show the world, especially the gullible SJW, that they are "taking steps" to address the problem of increasing gun crime.................. and FAILING MISERABLY!

Latest Threads