Met Gordon Brown today at Camp Bastion

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Nightrained, Dec 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gordon Brown met a few hundred squaddies today, went round us, shook hands with loads. Gave a speech. Quite inspiring at this time of year.

Not much else to report on it.
  2. were there lots of held tongues?

hmmm, i guess we could trip over the gobment gagging order on this one!

3. Bloody Hell! I'm geniunely surprised at that comment. Saying that, with all the spin doctors / speech writers, he probably is capable of sounding inspirational, it's just a shame that talk is cheap. As far as I'm concerned, his actions speak louder than his words.
  4. Any chance of him doing a quick tour of the AOR in a dayglo vest?
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Oh, in that case, I didn't here a word.
  6. All it needed was one ND and you failed us all. :p
  7. Just seen him on C4 news. Did nobody tell him that weating a buttoned up suit is a very bad idea when your gut is bigger than your chest?
  8. I heard (from a reliable source) that there were some medical staff sat on a warrior and instead of talking to them he commented on the Warrior....
  9. After 10 years of ignoring the Armed Forces, he now apparently wants to be their best friend. Could it be that his spin doctors have told him that by cosying up to squaddies he can boost his appalingly low popularity ratings? As far as I'm concerned, he's a forces-hating career politician that's not up to the job - like Bliar, he can't see a bandwaggon without wanting to jump upon it.

One thought, though, westminster has gone very quiet since he went on his travels. Just goes to show that the glove puppets aren't allowed to do anything while the puppetmaster's away.
  10. Medic and RLC. Who were attached to the warrior infantry battalion, can't remember who though. He did speak to the medics and the RLC on them about tour..etc. I was beside the warrior.
  11. Frederick Forsyth describes him has having 'the personel charm of a Cape Buffalo' on P21 of the current international express:)

(& yes Fred it made me laugh!)
  12. I'd wager it's a lot worse than that.

His spin doctors have been desperately trying to rescue him from the tsunami of excrement that has engulfed the government in the last two months. Associating him with the decisive military victory at Musa Qala is just the latest attempt to get his photo under some good headlines for a change.

I can't help thinking of the start of the film 'Gladiator'. Maximus and the Roman equivalent of NATO have just finished giving the Barbarians a good kicking while the benevolent emperor Marcus Aurelius looks on.

The fighting's over, the dust has settled and the wounded have been evacuated to the apothecary's tent. Cook Sodexho Minimus is getting a brew on for the troops and slaughtering some goats for tonight's dinner.

Suddenly, the emperor's wastrel son Gordon, err I mean Commodus, arrives in his VIP motorcade and asks, "Father, have I missed the battle?".

"Son", replies the emperor, "You've missed the war."
  13. "Associating him with the decisive military victory at Musa Qala is just the latest attempt to get his photo under some good headlines for a change."

Trust me, the timing of this visit has NOTHING to do with the timing of the Musa Qala offensive.