Messy business

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Animus, Jun 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good afternoon all,

Could someone give me an example of the typical amount of time spent living in the mess? i.e. when do young officers get shown the door/flee/have saved up enough for a mortgage deposit etc.

I understand that there'll be varying situations depending on op tours, postings and what have you. Do things like the regiment/corps one is in have a bearing on it?

Thanks,

Animus

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

You can live in the Mess as long as you want to but I think it's fair to say that many tire of it after a few years. Having bought a house soon after leaving Sandhurst I began weekly commuting during my second tour.

3. You shouldn't view it as something to be endured. Living in the mess with your mates is great fun - even more so than student flats. Also, if you live out straight away you may find that you don't gel quickly with your fellow officers (I am sure that this varies depending on Regt etc)
    whf

4. Well that's good to know there's some flexibility in the system, thanks cpunk.

It's not something that I'm anticipating to endure whf, I very much look forward to becoming part of the furniture, but its nice to know what the future may hold and all that.