Messing Member

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by SnapDragon, Apr 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a cry for help not abuse :)

Can someone, anyone, please tell me what the responsibilities/duties of the 'Messing Member' are?
  2. I can't beleive that 22 of you B*gg*rs have looked at this and not one of you have been kind enough to grace me with an answer :evil:
  3. You're job is to parade round the mess in your short skirt and see through tops looking as easy on the eyes as you can manage. After all the trained proffesional Chef in the Kitchen know's how to run it better than you.

"Women Know Your Limits"
  4. The Messing Member is the man in charge of the Messing!

Messing is GRUB.

The word 'Mess' comes from the Latin Mesa for table, the -mas at the end of Christmas and Mass in church are derivatives of the same word. Obviously the root is Mesa -Table - Meal - etc.

Therefore, he is responsible to the committee for the state of the food the Mess members eat. He may have an input into Dinner night or day-to-day menus, he should watch/run the Extra-Messing account, if you have one, and he is the point of contact for the members who may have a complaint/compliment about the Messing. Mess members ought not to appraoch the mess staff directly - only the Committee should do this. This means they only get praise/earache from one source who can then spot trends etc.

How's that for size?
  5. **** me you're an interesting bloke. Was all that latin beaten into you as a boy?????
  6. Now not wishing to be a pedant, OK I am, but anyway I'm lifting this from word-detective

"The root of "mess" is the Old French "mes," portion of food, drawn from the Latin verb "mittere," meaning "to send" or "to put," the original sense being "a course of a meal put on the table." This sense of "mess," which appeared in English in the 13th century, was often used for cooked or liquid dishes in particular, as in the "mess of pottage" (porridge or soup) for which Esau in Genesis traded his birthright. By the 15th century, a group of people who ate together was also known as a "mess," and it is this sense that persists in the "mess halls" of today's military."

and I think the Latin for Table is Mensa..

Oh God I hate myself.
  7. very many thanks to you all!
  8. My Latin may be failing me - but I believe table is actually mensa.

Sorry if I'm wrong

Edit: just seen Lost Boss has just posted - sorry for the duplicate
  9. Bloody Hell, i though it was called Mess becuse that's generally what you get on the table.

That said if Mess derives from Messaging it could be because you're the one who gets the messages i.e "The food is crap, sort it out"
  10. Looks like I'm going to be a busy puppy :cry:

Grub is Sh1te in this place :evil: