Message to the Taliban - Dont Mess with the Paras

U

uncle_ho

Well written article. Shame the author didn't spend a bit more time doing his research into 3 Para. They didn't lose 23 men on the slopes of MT Tumbledown. 3 Para assulted Longdon , Tumbledown was 2 SG.
Good read all the same.

SCoy

War Hero
Hmm, the 130's might be for dropping paras out of, but probs more likely to move stuff around :D Mind, they could probably save some money if they dropped Arrsers over there. Might get a bit out of control actually :?

uncle_ho said:
Well written article. Shame the author didn't spend a bit more time doing his research into 3 Para. They didn't lose 23 men on the slopes of MT Tumbledown. 3 Para assulted Longdon , Tumbledown was 2 SG.
Good read all the same.

Could be a type error from the site. He did mention the correct battle at first :wink:
that they could sustain losses on a par with the Falklands where 3 Para lost 23 dead and 50 wounded taking Mount Longden

Dezhersinsky - why the fcuk would Paras be moving around the Stan in pairs anyway?!
I don't underestimate the Taliban/AQ. But unless they take the Paras completely by surprise - not easy - they are going to come off second best in a fire-fight.
It's fun to take the urine out of the Paras, and they give as good as they get. But all B.S. aside, there are no better infantry than the Paras, not even the Gurkhas.

Dezhersinsky,I wish everyone going good luck,get it done quick and back for the drink up in the rat pit afterwards,good luck lads

stormtrooper said:
I'm ex Reg ( 3 PARA ) , go for it fellaz! Get over there n get mega body count! Para reg fcuk all in ones or twos.......heheheheh.....dick!
They'd certainly better be on the look out for your Mortar Pl. :wink:

The Lonely Goat Herd (From The Sound of Music)
[Maria:]
High on a hill was a lonely goatherd
Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo
Loud was the voice of the lonely goatherd
Lay ee odl lay ee odl-oo

Folks in a town that was quite remote heard
Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo
Lusty and clear from the goatherd's throat heard
Lay ee odl lay ee odl-oo

[the Children:]
O ho lay dee odl lee o, o ho lay dee odl ay
O ho lay dee odl lee o, lay dee odl lee o lay

Etc. etc. (Change lyrics to include the legendary antics of 3 PARA mortars as req'd.) :D

Goose_Rider said:
countdokku said:
there are no better infantry than the Paras, not even the Gurkhas.

What about Gurkhas who are in 'the Paras'

... and what would you know about it, Civvy Tw@t
To echo Goose Rider's sentiments. What about Armoured Infantry? I think you'll find that a decent Warrior Bn are a lot better at Armoured warfare than the Paras are. Horses for courses.

stormtrooper said:
I'm ex Reg ( 3 PARA ) , go for it fellaz! Get over there n get mega body count!
yawn :roll:

I really hate it when jingoism gets to the military,Don´t mess with theParas etc.Why?

In 1979 2 Para trained for a tour in NI in Sennelager, full of themselves in the belief that the IRA wouldn´t even consider targetting them, they ignored the basic drills of deploying in allround defense at stops and refused to go to cover believing that their red beret was bullet-proof,young 18 yr old squddies will believe what their ill informed NCO´s tell them.Sadly we all know what happened in August 1979!

A few years later the Paras fought magnificently during the Falklands War,and re-earned their reputation as a professional fighting force second to none.A high morale is a pre-requisite for good soldiering,but when soldiers start to believe their own myths,it starts to get very dangerous.

The enemy they will be facing in Afghanistan´s Helmland fear nobody,not even God,though the history books tell us they respect the Gurkhas.I´m sure 3 Para will do extremely well,but if they rely on their reputation or on myth,they will surely suffer high casualties.

Their enemy will not give up their way of life,however repugnant it seems to us,without a fierce struggle;They think nothing of killing their own relatives if provoked.

I sincerely hope that the result of the operation will be achieved with low casualties;However there has been so much debate and speculation that the army cannot rely on surprise.There should be a stop on reporting,and journalists banned from being there,let them in when the shooting stops,if at all.

Manchester wrote:

RAMC > Parachute reg.

Hmmmm I take it you hav'nt seen Wild Geese then......