Message Received from Nation States Founder

Hi D****,

I'm the guy who wrote NationStates.net, which you and a bunch of your
compatriots are apparently enjoying. In fact, you're enjoying it a
little too much. Your group is consuming a disproportionate amount of
the moderators' time, and I want to ask you to pull back.

Some of your guys seem to think the game is meant to be them versus the
moderators. This isn't the case. The moderators are just a handful of
people who have been nice enough to volunteer their time to keep this
site running; making them waste that time (e.g. by deliberately
submitting lots of unacceptable UN proposals) just leaves them less time
to deal with other problems, and hurts the site. Also, the griefer vs
moderator "game" always goes one way: we just steadily escalate the
response (from warnings to deletions to IP bans to, in appropriate
cases, contacting ISPs) until they stop. We've done this dozens of times
over the years, and it's never much fun for anyone in the end.

You are of course welcome to play the game as an invader region, or
however you like, so long as its within the rules. Please do so.

Thanks,

Max.

Yeah, check this out, from 'The Kingdom of the New Castle':

...just let you know, moderators have been notified of your regions happenings...
I feigned ignorance - not a hard thing to do! :D

Abacus, I suggest a small period of quiet reflection to look into the rules. It seems a little pointless to fight these muppets as they effectively hold all the cards and can just ban/boot etc at will - and they will do it like the small teddy-throwing boys they are.

Edited to add: I'd rather keep Arrseonia alive as there are nearly 100 ARRSE nations involved, some of whom only play their own nations - Arrseonia allows them to play without complete nutters turning up unannounced and messing them around.

Edited yet again to add:
Griefing is playing with the primary aim of annoying or upsetting other people
Yep - we're guilty as charged m'lud! :D

Darth_Doctrinus said:

I've spent a career beginning conversations with, "Well Sir, you see, it was like this....."

They used to call me the Sqn Explaining Officer.

abacus said:
I've spent a career beginning conversations with, "Well Sir, you see, it was like this....."
Just so long as I'm not expected to go before anyone & explain anything: I blush & giggle when I lie - absolutely useless! :roll:

From the "Invasions" thread on the NationStates forum!

The geezer that originally created the "Ye old England" region has a right sad-on:

The New Castle said:
i dont know about the all of you, but me and my fellows in ye old england have just be assaulted by invaders! Yes, i know your appalled, but its true. Invaders are real. here is what invaders do.
1. they start from their region which is password protected.
2. they send out nations in bulk to other regions
3. these nations endorse each other until the leader in that region is, well, not the leader and they are
4. If they are true scum (which most are) they eject all other nations and take over.
Think of these nations as AIDs. So be carefull, and trust those in your region.
Crazy Girl said:
Invaders are almost as old as the game.

You are a founder, I suggest you bar Delegate access to regional control, so even when they become Delegate by endorsing each other, they have no power except the UN voting.

I noticed these invaders, and we were keeping an eye on the endorsement counts. We are defenders, those who fight against invaders.

The group that tried to invade you was also involved in the griefing of Allied Islands. Ejecting them was the right course of action.
I said:
Surely by barring people to further your own gains and smash what is a realistic threat is a bit whingy and pathetic ?

Just an idea!
The New Castle said:
i had my old nation deleted somehow, so i made new one and a new region, and the fools followed me again.
Somehow I think quite a lot of sad people are pouting!

Diddums! :twisted:

I just telegramed 'The New Castle':

You had your Nation deleted because, somewhat pathetically, you pretended to be a Mod. Apart from being the action of a really REALLY tragically sad little man, this is against the game rules.

If you can't play by the rules, don't play. Simple really.

Thanks for coming. :)
We'll just overlook the fact that we're just as guilty on so many counts.... :D

Can't wait for the response!

scaryspice

LE
D_D

If you have some spare time - have a look here http://forums.jolt.co.uk/showthread.php?t=301703 this is an FAQ on invasions. It makes clear what is and what is not allowed.

For example if you p/w protect an invaded region and do NOT let the natives have the p/w that's against the rules.

If you look at how DEN do their invading they get in, get UN delegatship, change the world factbook to trumpet their victory, and then go away again leaving the natives with a warning to elect their own delegate and protect their region. Usually the natives are actually quite relieved of the warning and some even find it amusing. DEN then post about their invasion on NS boards and on their own board.

Maybe we should be looking at these lightning in and out raids rather than trying to stay?

Scary

Darth_Doctrinus said:
Yeah, check this out, from 'The Kingdom of the New Castle':

...just let you know, moderators have been notified of your regions happenings...
I feigned ignorance - not a hard thing to do! :D

Abacus, I suggest a small period of quiet reflection to look into the rules. It seems a little pointless to fight these muppets as they effectively hold all the cards and can just ban/boot etc at will - and they will do it like the small teddy-throwing boys they are.

Edited to add: I'd rather keep Arrseonia alive as there are nearly 100 ARRSE nations involved, some of whom only play their own nations - Arrseonia allows them to play without complete nutters turning up unannounced and messing them around.

Edited yet again to add:
i disagree. this is a sad game which really when you stop to think about it is a bit sh1t. They need us to give them a hard time. it make's their dull lives more interesting. I say we grief everyboody untill they kick us out. If we get kicked out what have we lost?

I found myself tending to agree with Lairdx earlier. We lose nothing if we get booted, and quite frankly some of the saddoes who really believe in it need a good shoeing. This is why I have absolutely no problems with ARRSErs doing what they like, as we'll always be able to keep Arseonia alive to cater for those who simply wish to grow their nation in peace.

Darth_Doctrinus said:
I found myself tending to agree with Lairdx earlier. We lose nothing if we get booted, and quite frankly some of the saddoes who really believe in it need a good shoeing. This is why I have absolutely no problems with ARRSErs doing what they like, as we'll always be able to keep Arseonia alive to cater for those who simply wish to grow their nation in peace.
And if you can read the NS forums for long enough without having to run outisde to VOMIT you'll see that there really are some saddoes playing - and I thought I was the serious one.....

I'll be staying in CC for a bit to "grow my nation in peace" (sounds a bit rude actually - I would do a goggle-eyed smiley here but only the smileys I can remember the shorthand for work on my posts - like this one :( ) but I think I might create a puppet nation to go recceing and see what we can see.

Scary

smileys no work noomooor. I will compose Lairdx's lament for his smileys.

I with lairdx on this one, it is a sad little game really and the more trouble we can stir up the more interesting it will be. I certainly won't lose any sleep when the mods catch up with me.

Look at this posted on Ye Old England:

The Paradoxical Summer Paradise of Nolaerie We have been given word that the founder of the region was deleted for NS rules violations. Later today I will post up an XML feed in Gameplay to help determine the nativity of nations.

We may return later if conditions warrant (and some defenders may stay on here. Also note that some other defender groups were here, like TITO).

Good day everyone
I think there's a game going we don't know about - arrsewatch?

Yep - on balance I think we should just get on with what we were doing, but use 'The DEN' style tactics to dress it up a little - i.e. 'You have been raided by the Free Arrseonian Forces. Remember kids - always use a password etc etc'.

In this way, when we're long gone, we'll have effectively ruined the game for all the legitimate ram-raiders as everyone will be markedly more wary! :D

Lairdx said:
i disagree. this is a sad game which really when you stop to think about it is a bit sh1t. They need us to give them a hard time. it make's their dull lives more interesting. I say we grief everyboody untill they kick us out. If we get kicked out what have we lost?
Give that man a cigar!
That's the spirit that makes us as great as we are.
'I'm well up for a ruck'
I have to admit that Nationstates kind of lost it's appeal after about an hour.
I for one think we should go all out for a mass banning session.

I seem to remember that Darth said he was checking out a new pastime for us?

TTFN

BFG

Looks like I've just upset them - Abacania no longer exists.

Hope the arrse mods don't have a sense of humour failure like this:

NationStates Moderators

Distributing the password to natives is not optional. Password cleared, natives are free to return.