Mess Webley (or the mess I’m going to make of one)

Righto,

I’m on the hunt for a Webley and as I live somewhere where that sort of thing is encouraged I was wondering if the hive mind might have some ideas about what to look out for.

Ideally I’d like it in .455 but I’d settle for a .38 S&W version. I’ve taken a set against the ‘shaved’ .45 ACP conversions because I’m a woman and that’s bloody that.

Any thoughts?

*Sighs*

On. The. Webley.

Ta.

Why do I get the feeling I’ve paddled into some very deep waters?
You'll be fairly okay here, the chaps I have given a call out to (up there) are pretty good at this sort of stuff.

If any really bad nonsense spills over here from from the NAAFI at kicking out time (which by the way is never) it'll cost them dearly.

Righto,

I’m on the hunt for a Webley and as I live somewhere where that sort of thing is encouraged I was wondering if the hive mind might have some ideas about what to look out for.

Ideally I’d like it in .455 but I’d settle for a .38 S&W version. I’ve taken a set against the ‘shaved’ .45 ACP conversions because I’m a woman and that’s bloody that.

Any thoughts?

*Sighs*

On. The. Webley.

Ta.
Righto,

Any thoughts?

*Sighs*

On. The. Webley.

Ta.
Is the aforementioned hand gun for protection or a little piece of jewelry

Righto,

Any thoughts?

*Sighs*

On. The. Webley.

Ta.
Either calibre will do it but 0.38 is slightly more traditional.
Sink a few gins first.

How did you fcuk up ?

You'll be fairly okay here, the chaps I have given a call out to (up there) are pretty good at this sort of stuff.

If any really bad nonsense spills over here from from the NAAFI at kicking out time (which by the way is never) it'll cost them dearly.

Cheers. I occasionally chime in on the other shooting threads and agree they are grown-ups.

There will always be crayon wielding ‘telpises but the afflicted need to feel important as well. Bless.

Is the aforementioned hand gun for protection or a little piece of jewelry
It’s for reminding uppity natives of their place.

Serious answer. I have several modern handguns and I’m just looking for a change of pace. Webley aren’t common here but there are enough knocking around to make it a feasible project gun.

Sink a few gins first.

How did you fcuk up ?
You’ll have to narrow it down for me. When? Where? I engage in a lot of fcuking up.

Good to know. There seems to be more 38s available. Ammo isn’t too hard to find either.

Quite a few in SA dating back to the Boer war and subsequent world wars. Classic Arms in Witbank may be able to help you if you want to go thrugh all the hassle of bringing in stuff.

CLASSIC ARMS

IMO it would be a good thing to export a lot of historic firearms right now before the idiot factor running the country get it into their heads to destroy them. Already lost a lot of good Enfields due to the penchant for 'sporterising' them a few years ago.

Quite a few in SA dating back to the Boer war and subsequent world wars. Classic Arms in Witbank may be able to help you if you want to go thrugh all the hassle of bringing in stuff.

CLASSIC ARMS

IMO it would be a good thing to export a lot of historic firearms right now before the idiot factor running the country get it into their heads to destroy them. Already lost a lot of good Enfields due to the penchant for 'sporterising' them a few years ago.
also gunbroker.co.za

Do you reload? I think new .455 ammunition might be difficult to get hold of, whereas the .38 versions might be easier to feed. I've no idea on prices where you are, but the .38 revolvers are also cheaper (and easier to find) than the .455 ones here.

I don't have a Webley myself, but an Enfield revolver .38, which I paid around £150 for a couple of years ago.

You'll be able to shoot factory 38 S&W in the 38 Mk.IV. It'll shoot low, but that's not the end of the world.

I'd get one of those, or an Enfield if I were you. But I'm not you, I'm me, and I've got one of each. And the equivalent S&W :)

Isn't a Webley a bit large for a garter gun?

Sink a few gins first.
.455 was the first and best - pre-WW1 and wartime, designed (like the Colt) for stopping the locals after a load of their loopy juice.. .38 came along later - 1930s - for civilized warfare and uses a badly underpowered round. In the SASC museum at Warminster is a cross-sectioned .38 Enfield with all six round stuck in the barrel, and it still didn't burst.

Go for a nice .455 MkVI and may the blessings of the Lord be upon you!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dark_Nit The NAAFI Bar 115
wm1965 The NAAFI Bar 4
Helm The NAAFI Bar 31