Mess waistcoat - aaagh!

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Cuddles, Jul 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last night, for the first time in about ten years, I donned my mess kit. Or rather I got into the jacket and overalls but for some reason, the waistcoat did not even come close to a fit. As I have not varied in suit/shirt size in that period I was nonplussed, especially as the trousers seemed fine.

On closer inspection, the waistcoat in question appeared to be a 38" chest size. I believe that on that last occasion I wore it, when I shared a room with another officer of the Royal Regiment as drunk and in a rush as I were, he must have gone home with my fecking waistcoat!

Now I cannot for the life of me even begin to think who said officer was but I remember him being of the smaller variety. So he has probably been worried that he has a wasting disease for the past decade!

Hi-ho, it's dinner jacket for Cuddles then this weekend...Shame, I was quite excited when I managed to get into the overalls and sit down without a bursting sound, like an SF GPMG from behind!
  2. Nah - silk insert strips either side - saved my bacon and took the tailoress about 2 days.
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Or thick black elastic and a heavy duty staplegun in lieu of the centre seam pending a visit to the tailor!
  4. Or adopt the navy solution of no back at all, just a strip of elastic - much cooler and no problems with an expanding waistline!
  5. I have been considering taking the pinking shears to it! It would indeed be a shame to pass the opportunity to pop on full fig of a Gunner for a dinner chez RSA, after having pranced around all day dressed as a R SIGNALS officer!
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Do it, after all you will not be removing your jacket at any stage!
  7. Is that not a little schizophrenic?
  8. I don't think he's a schizo and you'll note from the rest of this thread he's certainly not claiming to be little!!!
  9. Nope, a six foot-five inches, 16 stone 10 lbs figure is not little!
  10. I was refering to you being a R SIGNALS officer by day and a Gunner by night!

Is this not rather Jekyl and Hyde (although which would be the Gunner remains to be seen!)?
  11. I never bothered with replacing my RA mess-kit with that of my adopted Corps. I didn't exactly want to be a R SIGNALS officer but the cuts in manpower in the TA left a lot of Gunners scrabbling for berths and I got lucky. I have now moved into the ERE world but remain badged R SIGNALS for the present. WTS!

(Note: People always knew I wasn't a real R SIGNALS officer - my VP was too good!)