Mess Traditions.

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by TOOT_TOOT, Jan 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Troop's,

I am trying to get a little info together on Mess Traditions i.e. why we use the Gavell, the use of Port on toast's etc.

If anyone out there has a website link or has the info i'd appreciate a copy.

Thanks in advance,

Toot Toot.
  2. A lot of traditions date back from the Navy days aboard ship apparently.

The reason we can't get up for a p1ss at mess dinners is supposed to be because when the sailors were having dinner below decks, they were so tightly crammed in, that if someone wanted to go to the toilet then everyone would have to get up to let him out.

Makes you wonder why we in the Army carried it on. Skate cnuts.
  3. It maintains control of the night and ensures the correct respects are paid and everyone is there for the speeches and toasts.
  4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

For one thing, the Mess wouldn't be called the Mess if it wasn't for the Navy. A "Mess" was an area between the guns where the crew would gather to eat.
  5. Why is it then that we stand for the Royal (and other) toast? The Navy don't stand for the toast as the overhead beams were too low on wooden ships and everyone would bang their heads. Also, the Royal Navy don't stand for the Royal Toast as they swear allegiance to the Admiralty, not the Monarch. That tradition continues.
  6. You put port on your toast?!?! That's hardcore. I tend not to touch the stuff until at least midday ;)
  7. Does it not go soggy? :?

I think somebody has been telling you some mis-truths about "mess traditions!" :p
  8. I made no mention of port, although, come to mention it, port on toast really aint that bad an idea! Better than boring old jam!