Mess Tins

If memory serves, the rectangular mess tins ceased to be issued (loan issue) when the new mugs came out a couple of years ago. They were all backloaded as (L) starred items.

The KFS were issued on individual issue at the depot when a soldier first joined up, so some people still have them on tick (even though they are Consumable items)

Please feel free to comment/correct - it's been some time & the alzheimers is kicking in.

SixBadges said:
If memory serves, the rectangular mess tins ceased to be issued (loan issue) when the new mugs came out a couple of years ago. They were all backloaded as (L) starred items.

Some TA personell are still issued mess tins (and advised not to use them due to health and saftey issues). Not sure why, maybe a shortage in tin mugs.

Still on issue to Cadets. Even those little feckers seem unable to break them.

On a recent weekend away a Cadet told me "Don't put your black mug on your stove like that Maam, it will melt" to which I replied "Dont worry young man, its metal" said Cadet looks at own mug clutched in his little hand and says "Cor they look just like plastic....." I let him walk away without telling him. Hope he tries it.

we stil got mess tinns still on issue. always a bull shit item for when cadres are on. if the powers that be had there wya, we would still be wearing puttes and ammo boots

Whats this mug everyones talking about? I've only got mess tins and no-ones ever told me not to use them for health and safety reasons, have I missed something? :cry:

MISS_WHIPLASH said:
Whats this mug everyones talking about? I've only got mess tins and no-ones ever told me not to use them for health and safety reasons, have I missed something? :cry:
The danger from aluminium cooking vessels was grossly overstated, it would seem. But it took me in and I carried a stainless billy can around on exercise for years.

The lids were a "must have" speeds up the boiling time massively and you can leave them on with the water inside to keep it warm at last light so your mucker can have hot scoff and a brew as he comes off stag.

Or you can jack on him...............

FFS all the walts will be flying in to use that link. They monitor the net for use of the letters SAS in that format.

Mess tins still on issue to my garage with several large black mugs too if I remember correctly. Then again I did hand my 1157 in by telephone - Mrs M is so impressed that after a year out I still have all my kit deployed between the loft and the garage.

Will have all sorts of walts around my motor at the car boot sale when this lot goes under the hammer. Wonder if anyone will buy:

Trainers green
Chinese fighting suit
Green plassy mug
Jap hat
DMS boots - complete with several sets of puttees (including one set fitted with velcro)
Washing kit roll
plus loads more old crap no doubt

For those that don't know - Alzheimer's Disease has been associated with ingesting aluminium. This revelation accounted for the demise in aluminium pans and the sudden uptake of non-stick many years ago (late 70's, early 80's). At that time a lot of soldiers went out and bought stainless steel mess tins. It's probably fair to say (but I'm not making a legally binding statement here) that there isn't a problem if you wash your aluminium mess tins with detergent and water (thereby retaining the protective aluminium oxide film on the metal, but you should avoid using abrasives as this brings the questionable aluminium to the surface. If you need to use abrasives to remove burnt-on particles, you can restore the "safe" dull finish by boiling some water afterwards, but remember to discard it before using your mess tin to make tea.
Of course, the Army doesn't like to see dull mess tins, so it seems that the stable door has been shut some 20 years after the horse bolted (unless you're TA or a Cadet).

And it was a sad day when we stopped wearing puttees... Even sadder when we stopped wearing woolly pullies...

Rather than pay £20 for a frying pan lid, just get a large mess tin and cut down three sides (not the side with the handle on). It will then fit snugly over the small mess tin.

Better still, don't cut the sides down. It will still work as a frying pan and has the additional advantage that you can deep fry chips.

Murielson: Green trainers!!! My first issue were black Bata canvas plimsolls. I was lucky, previously they were white and you had to dye them black yourself. I also have a unique matching pair of anklets - unique in that they are both left ones! I was told I couldn't exchange them until they were worn out.

Latest Threads