Mess Nights

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by geo_sapper, Dec 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help? I've been tasked to give a breifing on mess ediqute and rules. I have phoned sgts messes and have had no luck. Can anyone help with a list of do's and do not's? I know some of the basics like the port can't leave the table etc. but not enough to give a brief.

2. Each mess has its own etiquette and rules you can get a copy from the mess manager or the mess president for the mess you are giving the brief on (passing the port to the left/right or keeping it on the table or not allowing it to touch it are down to individual mess/regimental traditions) alternatively the RSM will have a copy

3. Making up your own version of mess etiquette is a good way of showing initiative, and is bound to score you brownie points with the Razzman. Alternatively, why not suggest 'dressing down' for the event, and have no etiquette whatsoever for the function? It always goes down that road in the end regardless....

4. Make sure you drink plenty of beer before you go in. My mates did this to me on my first mess night; my, how we all laughed the next day :roll:

5. .... an easy way of informalising a dinner is have the loyal toast at the start of the procedings then table movement is free after it.