Mess kit?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by squigeypie, Jan 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are newly promoted sergeants eligable for that payment to purchase mess kit, ive not heard anything but i guess their not

2. What,You haven't claimed your £700 yet? Get right on to JPA ASAP !

3. no sadly i was in the mess before jpa was invented, i was wondering about our newbies. you know how things are kept on the QT if you are intitled to something.

4. No, the TA don't get it.

5. One Army!

6. no chance....yer buggered ! :)

7. msr

msr LE

Concept, not reality...

8. I wrote to Soldier magazine in October 2009 regarding this allowance asking the question 'why members of the Reserve Forces are ineligible for the public provision of the SNCO Mess Dress Uniform provision contained with JSP 752 Tri Service Regulations for Allowances (Ch 8, S5, paragraph 08.0501)?'

I received a reply DPS(A) which stated the following:

' "Thank you for you letter regarding the recently introduced SNCO Mess Dress Uniform provision. As you rightly point out the grant can only be paid to newly promoted regular Sgts, who are promoted on or after 1 Apr 09 to either acting or substantive rank. The grant is not payable to members of the Reserve Forces.

Regular Service personnel were given priority for this grant because of the greater frequency with which they are likely to attend functions in Mess Dress. Indeed Queen’s Regulations have now been amended so that those that receive the grant will be required to wear Mess Dress, when appropriate. Those that are not eligible for the grant, including all members of the Regular Army that were promoted to Sgt or above before 1 Apr 09, remain entitled to attend Mess functions in issued uniform (normally Number 2 Dress), although I accept that most will have chosen to purchase Mess dress at their own expense. Regrettably at the time the allowance was introduced it was not possible to find sufficient funding to enable it to be extended beyond Regular personnel and, given the current economic climate, it is unlikely that funding will be found to extend this allowance in the near future."

From the editorial staff - I am sorry the new allowance is only for the Regular Army.'

edited for October 2009 not 2010

9. So Mess Functions in combat 95 it is? :soldier:

Q

10. msr

msr LE

Can I borrow your time machine?

11. I was chuffed to bits to learn that I wasn't going to get the grant. Instead I got a 2nd hand mess dress which is better because its tailored to someone else and actually looks like a clown outfit. Best £90 I ever spent.

I have heard a few people are disputing the rule though.

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

And I think we can all predict how that will work out!

Your options are:

1. Stump up and buy it as everyone else has done for years (remembering that the best made mess dress soon resembles a clown outfit anyway).
    2. Go in 2's.
    3. Go in black tie.
    4. Don't go.
    5. Don't accept the promotion.

Never let it be said that you never had a choice in the matter.

13. i like the point "more mess functions". Ive got 3 in a month this month. It must be party,party party! in a regular mess

14. Since when did the system ever let facts get in the way of cost cutting. Regs need Mess Kit more than STABs by virtue of the fact that they are Regs, end of. :wink:

15. No. Ask your PSI for his.