Mess function in London

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ben0239, May 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been tasked to organise a mess function in London and was hoping for some advice from anybody who has been put in a similar position.

My BSM would like to visit the Tower of London and have lunch in the Beefeater Mess. I have spoken to the Tower of London today and they inform me that for this to happen we have to get sponsored by a Warder. The only way to be sponsored by a warder is contacting one directly. Therefore does anyone have a contact number for a warder who would be willing to sponsor a Royal Artillery unit.

Secondly, accommodation is proving to be more expensive than most of my fellow seniors budgets, I was therefore wondering if anyone knew of any good, reasonably priced hotels in London. I have contacted the Union Jack club and Victory services club and I am waiting to hear back.

Any advice/help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance......
  2. We had a "Cultural Visit" to London a couple of years ago, it included a tour of the Royal Chelsea Hospital and that sort of thing. I never went on it so dont know the details but I do remember they were accommodated in one of the TA centres down there.
    Maybe you have a sister unit down there ?
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I enquired at the Tower of London and they offered me a great deal including tour, ceremony of the keys, dinner in the Fusiliers' mess etc at a cost of £7k plus food plus booze. Your BSM may need to rethink his plans!

There is no cheap way to do a mess function in London unless you find a unit there that will host you. Even at service rates (which would typically allow for the waiver or reduction of rental etc) you are unlikely to get much change out of £100 per head for the most basic menu and very limited booze. The best I managed was at the Cavalry and Guards club who did an absolutely brilliant job for us which came in at around £60 per head, but that was with us bringing our own booze and just paying them corkage.

You will have to shop around for deals on hotels, but good and reasonably priced is usually a contradiction in terms for London hotels.
  4. Try contacting someone at Wellington Barracks. I know they hire the Sgts Mess out to people like the Met for functions, they might also be able to provide transit accomodation.
  5. Tried doing this last year - HMS PRESIDENT is a good venue for hosting an officers mess dinner, but costs about £50 per head.
    Accommodation used to be possible in Woolwich, but transit barracks closed during redevelopment apparently. Very little accommodation in London now - frankly I'd do it elsewhere - much easier to arrange sadly :-(

6. Probably the TAC at Horsferry Road. I've been to a few functions there.
  7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Actually the RQMS of the Irish Guards was very accommodating to me some years ago for a birthday you might want to have a chat with him or his successor. The RHQ is there (or was) so if you needed to contact someone he might be a good first stop...
  8. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

London Scottish...literally at the end of the road I used to live in. They also have some 'strange' female detachment I think? FANNY...God bless the humour of the Army.
  9. Hi...

Thanks for all the responses!! very useful, I will act on those leads straight away.
  10. FANY used to act as casualties/victims/hostages on some very 'quiet' CRW exercises on the London Underground in the 90's. A friend (dial a shag) of mine who took part was shocked by the aggressive realism of the 'rescuers' and did a bit of gibbering afterwards.
  11. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

If big guns are your thing HMS Belfast does a cracking dinner in the Wardroom. I couldn't tell you cost as I was a guest. It also has the bonus of being a pelasant riverside walk to the UJ club afterwards.
  12. It's also worth risking your pride and calling the RAF Club on Piccadiliy and the Navy Club (also in Mayfair). The latter used to be for London based naval reservists and is very friendly.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. My sister went to the RAF Club for a lunch a few weeks ago - said it was excellent. Just a thought - is Hounslow Barracks still open and is there a resident unit there or is it just transit accomodation?