Mess Etiquette

I've heard that there is only one regiment whose mess etiquette dictates that an officer late for dinner should NOT apologise to the President (or Senior Officer), as it is assumed that he can only have been delayed by duty. Does anyone know which regiment this is? TIA.

Never heard such tripe in my life. Regardless of the delay be it military or civic duties or family issues it's protocol to apologise for tardiness. Regardless of the cause. Quietly apologise as you enter the mess to the President or senior bod present and give a quick explanation later.

BaldricksBullet said:
It's not a regiment, but a corps: The one I was with. We were always late but that was ITVs fault for putting Sessame Street on at a stupid time.
Are you able to tell me which corps that was then?

maxstrammer said:
BaldricksBullet said:
It's not a regiment, but a corps: The one I was with. We were always late but that was ITVs fault for putting Sessame Street on at a stupid time.
It was the Corps Blimey, mate.

Only the dull and unimaginative would put themselves in a situation wherein they need to apologise for being late.
Simply let the fire alarm off, and then wander in with everyone else once the all clear has been given.
If anyone queries you, simply brass it out.

frankie said:
maxstrammer said:
BaldricksBullet said:
And I bet it had a bar.....with a one armed bandit machine....

Why would you be late for dinner? The walk from the Kitchen to the TV room can be covered in less then 5 mins in most messes, even with a plated meal.

No-one would want to be late for "Double Dildo Shove Fest II" that nobby says he'll be putting on at 8 sharp!.

LB

Bambi said:
frankie said:
maxstrammer said:
BaldricksBullet said:
No that would be the RAF. Maybe he's talking about the RFC!

LostBoss said:
Why would you be late for dinner? The walk from the Kitchen to the TV room can be covered in less then 5 mins in most messes, even with a plated meal.

No-one would want to be late for "Double Dildo Shove Fest II" that nobby says he'll be putting on at 8 sharp!.

LB
Gosh, Sesame Street has changed since I was a young shaver...

Bambi said:
frankie said:
maxstrammer said:
BaldricksBullet said:
It did actually... honestly... with flashing lights and everything...

but also some real one-armed bandits with a few too many medals. (Don't ask)

As I remember latecomers were always made most welcome due to their generosity in placing the evening's wine on their Mess bill.

Ritchie

Isnt that the famous and well known Lt Gen Carton De Wiart VC KBE CB CMG DSO Late 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards on your avatar?

RO

With my wah detector flashing madly..

Yes it is

Reputedly Evelyn Waugh's inspiration for ......

R-H

RogerOut! said:
Ritchie

Isnt that the famous and well known Lt Gen Carton De Wiart VC KBE CB CMG DSO Late 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards on your avatar?
Carton de Wiart was my military role model, which was probably why I baled out as a wise-enough-to-bale-out-before-offically-classed-as-passed-over major. He won his VC at the Somme as a brigadier for walking accross no-man´s land tossing granades at the Boche from a satchel slung round his neck. I believe that by that time he had already lost an eye and an arm. He wrote an autobiography called Happy Oddesy. If anyone can get hold of it, it´s well worth reading. My favourite quote: "I failed the Staff College exam gloriously". My type of officer.

My favourite Richie-Hook quote was after spending a week with the partisans in Bosnia in 1943 "Impressive soldiers - I particularly like the one whose name ended in Itch".

Back to the thread, Carton de Wiart couldn´t give a stuff if you were late for dinner.

Ritchie-Hook said:
RO

With my wah detector flashing madly..

Yes it is

Reputedly Evelyn Waugh's inspiration for ......

R-H
I remember in 1996 hosting a group of Polish officers as part of a CFE armour count in Barker Barracks. The count was over very quickly and with time to kill I took them on a tour of our WOs and Sgts Mess, boring them to death with tales of derring do associated with the Regiment. The RM major who was accompanying them was translating and everything was going really well. But they were trully bowled over when they came across a picture of the great man in the mess and exclaimed in unison CARTON DE WIART!!!!!!

I thought I knew my Regimental history but these guys were gushing in their praise of Carton De Wiart, it was then that I started to learn of the extent of his exploits with the Poles, apparently they hero worshipped him in parts of Poland.

A swift shot or 2 of Bush sealed our comradeship and we all parted much the better for the meeting :)

Another Carton De Wiart inspired diplomatic success :)