Mess Dress

For a variety of reasons I need to get new mess dress (Major, RAMC).

What's the cheapest (I'm a Scot, after all, and therefore have a stereotype to live down to) and best service from a tailor that you've had?

(For info, I've looked at Costello (Ilford) who've quoted £799 and messkitonline.co.uk (Leeds) who've quoted £650).

Have you tried the Retd Maj at the museum at Keogh? He can some times have a good selection of kit.

Just get a shell suit from JJB sports! No one will notice!

What happened to the old one? Mess rugby? Mess dress is pretty forgiving, it takes a lot of pies to 'grow' out of!

Not pies so much as got it when I was (ahem) significantly younger than I am now ...

Additionally - swords. Obviously we carry them but don't unsheath. For No1s (which I do fit into, thank goodness) and wedding purposes (mine) can I borrow one from the museum?

DontMentionTheWar said:
Not pies so much as got it when I was (ahem) significantly younger than I am now ...

Additionally - swords. Obviously we carry them but don't unsheath. For No1s (which I do fit into, thank goodness) and wedding purposes (mine) can I borrow one from the museum?
Any officers No. 1 jacket will do! Just borrow or buy the buttons and do a bit of tailoring! It is your wedding so you call the shots! Ask around the mess!

DontMentionTheWar said:

At the impending nuptials I would assume that you will be using a sword with a metal (not leather) scabbard and be using all the other glittery stuff like sashes and funky epaulettes? If so then your RHQ ought to be able to help out - failing that, cultivate a mate in an English or Welsh Inf Bn and borrow it from their mess.

Should RHQ not provide the answer, the RQMS dept at Woolwich station (as it's now being called - GRRRR) have a fine selection of swords, all of which have been refurbished in the last year and look tremendous.

All the best for the big day.

Try Ebay. You take pot luck, but most descriptions are accurate and it may only cost you £20 or so.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rapey MaGoo Medals 14
L Forces Discounts 7
G Classified Ads 0