Mess Dress

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by ammosgt, Sep 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone selling SNCO Mess dress? Im 6ft and 13 stone and would like to buy some second hand

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Some sort of hint about which Regiment you're in might help!

3. RLC - cheers , Good old RLC

4. Are you an AT per chance? If so, buy new, cheaper than all the port fines.

5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Are you newly promoted to Sgt? If so, are you aware you can claim £455 on JPA to assist in the purchase of your new Mess Dress?

6. Dinger's correct and in the Sappers you will get bounced if you don't buy new.

7. Yes dingerr i am an AT. Priced up Mess Dress and it comes in well in excess of £600, yes we get the Mess Dress grant of £455 which i am more than greatful for, but being a parent to two young boys finding the difference is hard. Especially after buying the whole mess drinks at both my old and new unit!

8. Are Mess dresses fairly standard whoever you buy from or are there tailors who charge more for better quality?

9. Not being allowed to buy second hand is a bit out of order. I'm a Sgt in the RE and have been posted to a non RE unit on promotion to Sgt for the last 3 1/2 yrs. I'm due to finish in 5 weeks. And I have worn my mess dress 3 times. And one of those was on the SNCO's course. So I've paid over 200 quid a function for my clobber. And now I can't pass it on to some one else.
    So do I just keep it in the cupboard or do I join the TA just to make use of it?

10. Do not try and plead poverty, especially not with a fellow AT.

What size feet are you?

11. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Bounced for what, exactly? As long as the bought kit is in good condition, 100% presentable and serviceable and has all required badges of rank/qualification sewn on, then that's the end of it.

12. You can have mine in just over a year if you want. It should fit you, but it's the taffetta kind. I've got grandma rights. It's only mildly ripped, with a few vomit stains on, but should fit you perfectly. I only bought it in 1994, and being an ex-WRAC it's still fitted me perfectly.

13. For a couple of years now there have been accredited tailors for RE mess dress, and you do get inspected on the Senior's Course by the Corps RSM. And there have been a number of changes to RE mess dress, bigger bombs, the change from black to red backing etc, and anyone picked up having to get their mess dress up dated.............

However, the Corps RSM did pick me up for not having gone to one of the approved suppliers..........even though the old bastard was stood behind him.

14. I am size 11 dingerr

15. That's a shame, I've got a size nine pair of patent leather george boots (worn once) that you coud have had for £30 donated to the will and grace fund.