Mess Dress

Discussion in 'REME' started by Army_Rizzle, Nov 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a newly promoted lance jack I cant decide wether to buy a new mess dress or a used one. Any thoughts?

2. I bought new. But it's up to you and your wallet I suppose.

3. Cheapest I've seen new so far is £550.

4. Christ. I don't think I paid that much for mine!

If I bought second hand it would probably be owned before by a swampmonster.

5. As long as you don't become a lard arse you'll get loads of use out of a new set over the years as you progress up the ranks, so maybe worth spending the extra and getting new instead of a swamped second hand set.

6. It's a drinking tracksuit. You are going to get drunk and throw up all over it. You want to spend £500?? Your choice I suppose.

7. Why buy mess kit at all? Wear your No.2s to mess functions and replace them at the QMs when they are stained.

Wait until you are a Sgt before you invest in a mess kit from the Corps kit agency.

8. Some units insist on it for JNCOs, if money's a problem then purchase a second hand set cheap off Ebay.

9. Don't you get a grant to buy it now on promotion to Sgt? I thought that would stop units enforcing it for screws' messes.

10. Got mine made by Goodalls Tailors. Good service, quality and fit are excellent. I think they actually make them for a lot of other 'military' tailors which makes them a deal cheaper. http://www.messkitonline.co.uk/index.html

11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Thank you for a link to one of the worst Official Tailors that the army uses :roll:

12. Are you sure about that? I don't think they have any official capacity. Maybe you got them mixed up. I was recommended to go there not ordered!

13. Rizzle unless at a unit that makes(/prefers) its JNCOs (to) wear mess dress don't bother. You will receive the grant on promotion to Sgt.

14. dont buy one and wait till u become SGT shouldent be to long for you. then u get a grant of - i think its 5000 quid, just wear a black suit mate, unless u have been told u need it. at my unit we have been told our mess dress is gray trousers, white shirt, blue blazer and core tie