Mess Dress - Who wears spurs?

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Sgtfcuknuts, May 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just being promoted, and have purchased a second hand mess dress for the AGC complete with boots and spurs.

Do AGC actually wear them, or will I look like a walty chopper if I use the spurs....

Do I have any historical right to wear them, after coming from a Cavalry regiment?

I've asked about the office, and been told variously to wear them, and not to....

Is there a definitive answer?

Ta

Sgt FN

2. I haven't seen any other AGC - other than RMP Officers - wear them. I'd say no - but I'm no expert!

3. Did you, perhaps, buy your mess dress from an ex-WO1?

I don't know the answer to your question, but spurs seem a very WO1 form of dress to me.

I've got a sneaking suspicion, though, that spurs are part of the kit... (If only I'd spent more time looking at people's feet instead of their faces...).

4. I reckon I'll wear them then, and risk the wrath of the RSM!

5. Or ask the RSM - it's their show.

6. You crack on mate, I've only ever seen WO1's wear them, but stand to be corrected.

7. You'll be the most popular member of your mess after all those extras then! :D As a general rule all the Cav Regiments wear them (SNCOs/WOs & Offrs), everybody else just Field Offrs (Maj and above), cos they got issued with a nag in the old days, HTH!!! :wink:

8. So...if I transferred from Cavalry, would I retain the right to wear them? Are there dress regs covering this at all?

9. Just remember to remove them before you go to bed...

..otherwise the duvet will be shredded and the bedroom will look like Bernard Matthews has just plucked 30 turkeys in it!

Litotes

10. Wise words, obviously speaking from experience! :D

11. Practise walking up and down stairs too...or you might end up like the Skins officer who redesigned his previously somewhat handsome face on the concrete stairs of Victory College en route to his commissioning ball...

12. Definitely no spurs for AGC SNCOs. Only WO1s and above.

13. Your own capbadge dress regs will determine the dress requirements. As REME in a cavalry mess we only wear our own mess dress with no embellishments. Obviously the RSM and unit may wish to have to some input into it though!

14. Agreed ..... Spurs are a nightmare to walk in, I have only ever used them in Showjumping Classes not as a form of dress code... and I can tell you no one wears them any longer than they have to....

15. No