Mess Dress to Civillian Functions?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by SgtRabbi, Dec 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks. I'm a TA subaltern (and fully prepared for stick), looking at getting mess dress for the first time. I was wondering what the custom is in wearing mess dress to civillian dinners and balls where the order of dress is black tie. I know the RN tend to, I see a lot of them wandering about my uni going to all sorts of functions, but not so much army.

Is it dependent on anything (like not looking like a mong when wearing it, for instance)?

Reason being, I hear the local pacifists are putting on an event in collaboration with the Guardian and I wanted to know what I ought to wear.
  2. Just don't. Don't even think about it. It's military kit (even though it belongs to you and not the Army) - so keep it for military occasions. If it's a civvie occasion, wear a black tie like everyone else.
  3. Seconded. As an aside, it's mostly always our hobbyist brethren who always want to preen in rig at civvy piss ups.
  4. As you will no doubt be completely devoid of medals you should wear a clown costume and an archers hat. For no other reason than you will look just as big a **** as if you went in mess dress.
  5. As with previous posts, don't. If you want to annoy the pacifists wear a real fur coat or a Nazi arm band.
  6. Cheers guys, I guessed the feedback would be as such. And Seagull, I was joking about the pacifists.
  7. Wearing Mess Dress in a civilian environment can be a double-edged weapon. You will either attract the attention of:

1. Nubile young girls looking for some squaddie action. 2. Military fruitcakes, drunks, when I was inners, pacifists, arrsers or boring old duffers. No1 is fantastic (predicatbly), No 2 is a pain in the arse and will make you wish you'd never bothered.