Mess Dress to Civillian Functions?

Hi folks. I'm a TA subaltern (and fully prepared for stick), looking at getting mess dress for the first time. I was wondering what the custom is in wearing mess dress to civillian dinners and balls where the order of dress is black tie. I know the RN tend to, I see a lot of them wandering about my uni going to all sorts of functions, but not so much army.

Is it dependent on anything (like not looking like a mong when wearing it, for instance)?

Reason being, I hear the local pacifists are putting on an event in collaboration with the Guardian and I wanted to know what I ought to wear.

Just don't. Don't even think about it. It's military kit (even though it belongs to you and not the Army) - so keep it for military occasions. If it's a civvie occasion, wear a black tie like everyone else.

Hi folks. I'm a TA subaltern (and fully prepared for stick), looking at getting mess dress for the first time. I was wondering what the custom is in wearing mess dress to civillian dinners and balls where the order of dress is black tie. I know the RN tend to, I see a lot of them wandering about my uni going to all sorts of functions, but not so much army.

Is it dependent on anything (like not looking like a mong when wearing it, for instance)?

Reason being, I hear the local pacifists are putting on an event in collaboration with the Guardian and I wanted to know what I ought to wear.
As you will no doubt be completely devoid of medals you should wear a clown costume and an archers hat. For no other reason than you will look just as big a **** as if you went in mess dress.

As with previous posts, don't. If you want to annoy the pacifists wear a real fur coat or a Nazi arm band.

nark

Old-Salt
Wearing Mess Dress in a civilian environment can be a double-edged weapon. You will either attract the attention of:

1. Nubile young girls looking for some squaddie action. 2. Military fruitcakes, drunks, when I was inners, pacifists, arrsers or boring old duffers. No1 is fantastic (predicatbly), No 2 is a pain in the arse and will make you wish you'd never bothered.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Classified Ads 0
G REME 0
c0kecan Classified Ads 3