• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Mess Dress - Request for help

A plea for help cross-posted from Rear Party:

hayley_uk said:
hello everyone,

Havent been on here for ages!!

Just after some help, my oh has been told he needs to get a RLC mess
dress by next thursday price at £700.00, theres no way we can afford
that right now, is there any where that rents them or sells second hand ones??

If anyone can help please

hayley

xxxxx
Constructive ideas / information would be appreciated as I've told Hayley to keep an eye on this thread. Cheers!

Plenty of places hire them. If in or near Bulford, Glover and Riding in the precinct do so. Don't know how good they are, though, sorry.

Got one gathering dust. PM me with size, yours for the cost of postage if it fits.

Get your No2's on and use the following excuses

1. My mess dress was lost by the dry cleaners
2. My Mess dress is lost in transit
3. I am a Primark Pikey & They dont sell Mess kit in the winter range
4. The truth!

I was in the dead officers shop in Deepcut not long ago. It is located in the QMs department at Deepcut. I am sure I saw some mess kit in there, so you could probably pick up a set for under £100.
very helpful chaps too, give them a bell.

There's some mess kit in out clothing stores, male and female. Drop me a PM if suitable.

paragorge said:

4. The truth!
I do believe that No2s are a valid option. Never seen anyone use it though (by memory, so unreliable {mess dress=amnesia}) but at such short notice they (No2s) should be acceptable. Worth asking. I would have gone for option 4 up the CofC.

Perturbed said:
paragorge said:

4. The truth!
I do believe that No2s are a valid option. Never seen anyone use it though (by memory, so unreliable {mess dress=amnesia}) but at such short notice they (No2s) should be acceptable. Worth asking. I would have gone for option 4 up the CofC.
I've attended many dinners with members wearing No 2 Dress. Perfectly acceptable, maybe unpopular but you can't be "ordered" to buy something at personal expense. I've even seen WO1's in SD!

Other option it to hire a tuxedo/black tie.

apfsdsdu said:
Not normally acceptable for serving members and it would be quite a liberal thinking Presiding Member who allowed it.
Certainly never known it in my time in a Regular Mess.

Sir_Burton_Dassett said:
apfsdsdu said:
Not normally acceptable for serving members and it would be quite a liberal thinking Presiding Member who allowed it.
Certainly never known it in my time in a Regular Mess.
I did as I had a pot on my arm and couldnt' get mess dress over it.

Not that I would condone breaking an arm for it :lol:

Costello's split the price over a few months if you so wish.