MESS DRESS HELP!

Where's the best place to get RLC mess dress, I'm fcuked if I'm forking out hundreds of my hard earned spondoolies, don't mind second hand if anyone is breaking free from the mire and soaring to the fluffy heights of civvy street.

Colonick said:
Where's the best place to get RLC mess dress, I'm fcuked if I'm forking out hundreds of my hard earned spondoolies, don't mind second hand if anyone is breaking free from the mire and soaring to the fluffy heights of civvy street.
From your attitude towards purchasing a new Mess Kit, could it be you are a little immature and have been promoted too early?

Call me old fashioned if you wish, but I am of the opinion that if you accept the promotion to SNCO then by default, you accept the rules that accompany the automatic membership of the Warrant Officers & Sergeants Mess.

Hear, Hear Wolf Man. This is an all too typical attitude of modern NCOS and I blame their WO's for not instilling the desire to be promoted and jion the Sgts Mess which is an admission into the most exclusive club in the world - to fail to embrace the rules and spirit of the mess is grossly discourteous and colonick should seriously consider reverting to Cpl rank and give another more grateful Cpl a crack!

Abandon_Ship! said:
give another more grateful Cpl a crack!
Thats where I've been going wrong! I've been revering good JNCOs for applied intelligence, professional knowledge, leadership ability and attitude; now I realise that gratitude is a far more worthwhile attribute.

What a silly Billy I have been :highfive:

Colonick said:
Try a tailors in any garrison town.

Personally, i know its expensive initially but i preferred to buy my own Mess Kit. And besides, most decent companies allow you to spread the cost over a few months. Because we all know, getting those initial 3 stripes on your arm doesnt give you pop stars wages!!!

Similar question, but does anyone know the score on female mess dress.

I am at a non RLC unit at the moment and purchased my mess dress 2 years back. I have now heard that the mess dress has changed from a dress to a skirt.

Will I have to buy the new dress or is the old style still acceptable?

I come back to the RLC world next month where people are more likely to know the difference between styles?

Any help? :shaking2:

B

Bottleosmoke

General Melchett said:
Just keep wearing the old dress until you get told to change it.

Personally I think the new female mess dress looks a bit pants anyway.
Oh i dont know. The fishnet holdups are definitely a step in the right direction.

Humpmaster said:
Try Deepcut QM's, They have loads of secondhand ones, got rid of mine through there. Sell for a third/quarter of original price.
Seconded - the biggest selection of RLC Mess & Service Dress in the world..... ever!!

Thanks for all the helpful advice, it is much appreciated. What I was not expecting were the insulting comments from Wolf "man" and Abandon Ship. As a 35 year old man who joined the armed forces at the age of eighteen I do not consider myself immature and I am extemely proud to have been admitted into the Sergeants Mess. Being married with children does however put a slight strain on finances and having to fork out for new mess dress is not an option for me and possibly many others.
What I do not appreciate is obviously mentally deficiant gurners who have nothing better to do than trawl the forums placing insulting and unhelpful posts.

Again thanks very much to all who gave helpful advice.

Colonick - Good on ya mate, that's a pretty good reply.
Spend the spare cash on the things that really count - the family.

Being a frugal tight arrse I never once bought a new mess dress, I purchased a second hand set from someone who was leaving the service and needed the cash - Win, Win.

Even though it was second hand it still looked the part and no one was the wiser.

Latest Threads