Mess dress - correct placement of stripes etc

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Jerm, Sep 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This may be a bone question, but bear with me as I'm TA.

I've recently bought (through ARRSE no less) a set of mess dress. However, I got it from a WO2 and need to get the correct badges sewn on (Sgt's stripes, RE bomb and SAA badge).

Finding a decent military tailor that can sew them on, in the correct place, is proving a pain so thought I'd sew them on myself.

Finally the question - what is the correct placement/location for the above badges?

2. I would try asking again, in the Sappers forum. Maybe a MOD can move this thread?

3. I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Sapper forum as well/instead of here, so I'll post it there myself.

4. I would imagine you could get this info. from your Adj or RSM, at least by proxy!?

5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Same as on your No.2s.

I forgot, you don't get issued No.2 dress.

6. ...or mess dress.

One Army!

7. Take your lead from other TA seniors - i.e wear any badge adornment you like, any black shoes that takes your fancy, your son's school shirt and ill fitting trousers, preferably halfway up your shins. For added spice wear a jacket from a different fcuking regiment.

8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

You could always get a rank slide!

9. Talk to your QM who will tell you who your unit tailor is.

10. You've omitted to mention the five-starts name tag, Bruce.

11. The stripes on my mess kit started about two inches above the cuff. Hope that helps.

12. Messdress.com in Bournemouth.

Anton will sort you out. You can mail it to him too, and he'll mail it back in a nice suit cover. You can get all the extra bits t hrough him too. ie medals... and he'l do you large medals for you too, with a bit of laquer to keep them shiny.

13. Holy thread ressurection Batman!

Firstly, I found a military tailors who did this for me. Although, just before the first mess dress function I went to, I was informed that the SAA badge was in the wrong place, so removed it.

Secondly, I'm in an independent squadron so no RSM or Adj.

FiveAlpha, you know TA seniors all too well...!

14. Oh, well, in that case, well done!

15. Who's Bruce, Steve?