Mess Dress badges??

Could some one please confirm which coloured background specilist badges we wear on our mess dress ,eg. signaller, crossed swords

is it red or black??

Many thanks!

befeater said:
scotty345 said:
The correct colour on mess dress is RED. WHy do you ask?
Regards
Scotty
Oh no it isnt!!
Depending on when you got promoted. Those promoted prior to 01 Apr 09 - black backing, those promoted on or after 01 Apr 09 red backing.

OH YES IT IS. Or for 15 years I had the wrong one on my mess dress as did every other SNCO. So tell me from what section of Dress Regs are you quoting.
So are you saying the Hammer and Tongs should be Black?
Your go.

Surely the backing colour matches the jacket colour?

Or is that too simples?

What he said

i just looked on ebay theres loads of mess dress gear on there,,just look at them

There`s only 1 badge worth anything and thats worn on the top of the right arm and on mess dress they`re gold!! :D

Parablue said:
There`s only 1 badge worth anything and thats worn on the top of the right arm and on mess dress they`re gold!! :D
Here Here old bean
Ad Unum Omnes 8)

Reme_Armr said:
Hammer + Tongs = Red Background, unless you're a tiffy then you have a black background. Other badges Red background
New one on me, I've seen the mess dress H&T on a red background but the manufacturers make all mess dress badges on different backgrounds as they don't make their badges to a military contract. The other reason I've heard the red backed is sold is that is was worn by Artificers RA and RE, which are now defunct.

The only No.1 dress H&T badge you can get though the system is on a dark blue background if what you say is true then a red backed badge would be available.

For No 10 (Temperate Mess Dress) and No 11 (Warm Weather Mess Dress) dress, the following details regarding badges are to be noted:

a. The badges of rank worn with these orders of dress are to be gold ranking on scarlet backing.

b. Qualification or skill-at-arms badges are to be gold on dark blue backing.

Additional items to be worn with No 10 and 11 Dress:

a. Headdress. No 1 Dress forage cap.

b. Netherwear. No 1 Dress trousers, dark blue socks and black shoes.

c. Shirt. Soft fronted white shirt of plain design with soft turn-down collar.

d. Tie. A plain black bow tie.

e. Medals. Miniatures (may be court mounted at individual expense).

f. Cummerbund. A plain, dark blue silk, cummerbund may be worn with No 11 Dress.

Optional Items of Dress for Warrant Officers (Class 1).

Headdress. Warrant Officers Class 1 may wear either a service dress cap or beret with No 7, 13 and 14 dress. The cap will be provided at the individual’s expense. They may also wear the embroidered REME badge on their berets as a mark of distinction for their rank.

Shoes. Warrant Officers Class 1 may wear officer pattern brown shoes if appropriate with No 2, 13 and 14 dress. They are to be provided at the individual’s expense.

Mess Dress. Officer pattern embroidered collar badges may be worn. They are to be provided at the individual’s expense.

Have a look on DII for the full details:

http://defenceintranetds.diiweb.r.mil.uk/sites/polestar/cs/ArmyPublications/02/1_deme_CI_b10.pdf

REME Corps Instruction B10
Issue No 5 – Mar 10

30. No 10 (temperate Mess Dress)and No 11 (Warm weather Mess Dress) Dress for REME Warrant Officers, Staff Sergeants and Sergeants.
No 10 and 11 Dress may be worn by Warrant Officers and Sergeants as an optional item of
dress, for which a grant is available for those promoted on or after 01 Apr 09.
Detailed specifications for No 10 and No 11 dress are provided in ADRs, Part 4, Authorised
Dress for the Royal electrical and Mechanical Engineers.
31. The following details regarding badges are to be noted:
a. The badges of rank worn with these orders of dress are to be gold ranking
on scarlet backing.
b. Qualification or skill-at-arms badges are to be gold on dark blue backing.

Why oh why did you feel the urge to resurrect this dull thread?