Mess Debtor Leaving the Service - Options for Ensuring Payment

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Gracchus, Dec 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I, as Presiding Member of a Mess, am having to deal with an individual (SNCO) who is leaving on redundancy. He has a significant outstanding Mess Bill which is not disputed; however this individual thinks that he can refuse to pay his bill because he is in dispute with the unit over claiming back costs incurred in resettlement. Notwithstanding the absurdity of that argument, can any SPS Pay experts here tell me if there is a facility within the pay system for the debt to be deducted from his pay before he departs? I am quite prepared to focus his mind by pursuing him through the Small Claims Court if necessary, but hopefully there is an easier way. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for any help.

2. Yes, I recommend breaking up a pallet and taking a pointy bit of wood to him.
  3. Although a Mess member, I am not a member of the Sgt's & WO's Mess; however, I would have thought that you've got him under AGAI or the Army Act or both. As a SNCO, he is automatically a member of a Mess and therefore pays his dues like everyone else. If he is having serious financial difficulties, I am sure that he can work something out with the RAO; if he is just being bloody minded, then what does your supervising officer (the QM?) have to say about this?
  4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I'm no expert

But I'm sure when I was leaving one of the things was that you didn't owe any money to stores etc.
    I was owed money and it was cleared up before I could depart camp.
    Couldn't the C.O. just block his departure until he coughs up.
  5. Small claims court?
  6. Whats a few quid ? The snco is losing his/her job voluntary or otherwise. I hope you get **** all

Happy Christmas
    • Like Like x 6
  7. Excellent, Mess Bills are now voluntary because you say so. You don't know if the guy is leaving as an applicant or not which would blow your emotional argument out of the water and more importantly if he has run up a mess bill he owes the money. Or can he now avoid any other bills he doesn't fancy paying.

In fact if you are so concerned about the poor (potentially thieving) SNCO why don't you pay his mess bill for him - afterall it is only a few quid.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Probably nothing to an SNCO being made redundant.
  9. Small claims court.... you rectum
  10. No expert but why not contact Glasgow and get it deducted at source!
  11. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

QR's are clear - he needs to pay up. If not, disciplinary action can be taken by the chain of command. One would hope this is not the way an issue is resolved with a SNCO over a mess bill but if he owes money and is is insistent on being a cock and not paying his debt, do it formally.

Edited to add:

Having seen the other thread from the SNCO who is allegedly not paying his bill, it seems there are two sides to every tale. He thinks he is credit, you think he is in debt. Stating the bleeding obvious; surely a statement from the unit accountant to show the real state of play followed up by a phone call from PMC to said SNCO should resolve the issue one way or the other.
  12. Don't worry it's clearly not going to be required. You've already pretty much stated that the guy doesn't have to pay and as it is only a 'few quid' I'm sure you'll be popping a cheque in the post at the earliest opportunity.
  13. Where abouts in QRs? I know it says he has to be a mess member, but if the army owe him money (from another area) it should work both ways.
  14. Perhaps the army owes him money and they won't cough up and he's giving you some of your own medicine.

If he pays up the army will still owe him money, but won't pay up.

Get the pay staff to sort his problem out.

If he didn't want redundancy perhaps he's pissed off and it's his last chance to rebel.