Mess Culture

Bottleosmoke said:
Im PEC at a Garrison mess and the attendance there is shocking.

Im based 20 miles away from the mess itself and doing the PEC job is a real effort but something Im proud to do.

Im trying to organize a ladies dinner night next month and so far I have 2
people confirmed................................Like i say....shocking.
At a certain joint service mess late last year, at a Battle of Britain do, out of a total amount of 110 eligible RAF personnel, only 11 showed up. They were outnumbered by the Army whose numbers were greatly inferior. Only a few matelots went but I didn't go as I was away on a course unfortunately.

It all depends on the mess though as well. I've yet to go to a do in a strictly single service mess as I've always worked in Joint Service environments since being promoted to SNCO 2 years ago.

Being a old fart with over 25 yrs under my belt in the colours and read these posts...I must concur when you got SODEXHO running the show things are getting bad. Recently I done a tour of the messes in the new barracks in Colchester...both SNCO and Officers messes....yuk!

sbotty

Swinger
Does not the Mess reflect the Army of today......pull up a sandbag sonny!

nil_oc

Old-Salt
SJFC said:
The problem today is that seniors have more and more put on them. I remember as a young Pte/ LCpl seeing my seniors disappearing for hours on end to the mess leaving the Cpls to run the show. Then, full screws ran the army. I used to think "I cant wait to be in that position".
This is not the case today. Every senior has two, three or more caps to wear, often working long hours, leaving less time for home life. Result; they have very little time to give for other business, ie the mess.
SJFC, you obviously have time to run your grubby little mits over your keyboard, no doubt you also have the time to indulge in a little cyber now and again?
I agree SNCO's are working harder with the current tempo, but if we throw the towel in now who will be left to pick up the pieces when things slow down again?

This mans Army was built on ethos and tradition; you have probably been a little miffed at other attacks/cuts on the way we conduct our affairs. When the politicians tighten the purse strings and stab us in the back we more often than not have to put up and shut up. When its our own clan trying to destroy our system from within through pure ignorance, then we have a real problem on our hands.

If the mess is so bad, why not volunteer as a member of the committe and change it for the better. Why not involve the families a little more? Hey, then when you are away doing your bit, maybe your other half will have met some friends who understand her frame of mind when she starts to lose it while you are holed up in some shit excuse for a country.

Oh and to finish off, newlynpirate(sorry for not declaring long message), you really are first class. Next time you are working down the Med centre try taking something for that attitude of yours.

nil_oc

Old-Salt
Bottleosmoke said:

Im based 20 miles away from the mess itself and doing the PEC job is a real effort but something Im proud to do.

Im trying to organize a ladies dinner night next month and so far I have 2 people confirmed................................Like i say....shocking.
Bottle, check your PM.

GeordieHussar

War Hero
Gents, The Mess is what you make of it, if you go in with a negative attitude then it’s going to be crap, try changing your attitude and you may find you enjoy it. I have been in the Mess for 25 years now, yes i'm an old git with 37 years under my belt so what, and have loved every minute of it, we all end up doing certain committee jobs which take up more time than we like but once its done it’s someone else’s turn to do it and you can sit back and enjoy things. I take it that when you have Mess meetings that you voice your opinion or are you the ones who sit at the back and mumble or don’t attend at all. If you don’t like the Mess then revert or join the Salvation Army.

B

Bottleosmoke

nil_oc said:
Bottleosmoke said:

Im trying to organize a ladies dinner night next month and so far I have 2 people confirmed................................Like i say....shocking.
Bottle, check your PM.
Checked but nothing new there. What you sending me?

stedian

Swinger
The thing i find annoying is the statement that seems to be throwen around alot on here IF YOU DONT LIKE THE MESS REVERT. What has liking the mess got to do with being a SNCO. If they have earned the right to promtion the same as everyone else then why should you get slated for hating the mess.

I cannot stand it and try my best to avoid it at all costs. But saying that it doesnt make me a worse SNCO, i would rather spend time down town if i want a drink or with my family

Stedian. You know, I have had the pleasure (probably the wrong word) of reading several of your post disparaging the Warrant Officers and Sergeants Mess as an institution.

Having examined them and mulled over their content, I find it difficult to believe that you have any place in the forces never mind the Mess. Were you this annoying as a Corporal and a private soldier.

This endeavour we (unfortunately I suppose I have to involve you in this) are embarked upon is not a normal job. In no other profession are you asked to commit the ultimate selfless act of laying down your life. No other Job asks of its employees to suspended their belief in humanity and violently take another’s life. And, no other line of work has to rely on comradeship, friendship and working together to achieve the mission at all cost.

This is the strength of the Section, the Company, the Battalion or the Mess. It promotes comradeship and friendship. Qualities in conjunction with Courage, Strength and Valour, which help real soldiers to perform as a unit and carry the fight to the enemy and win.

It may be that you are a clerk, technician or medic. You may believe that you may never have to serve in combat. But take it from me, if you are fit and drawing a salary the chances are that you will have to serve at some time on operations.

And when you find yourself in a tight spot another SNCO will have to step up and probably save your life or take over your command. And when you have to thank him, I hope he smacks you in the mouth and says “Start attending the Mess you weasel”

Its time to change you tune or get out. The real soldiers out here don’t need oxygen thieves like you around.

sc_obvious

War Hero
I think if messes lowered the dress standards to something even resembling 'Casual' like clean jeans, polo shirt/shirt and shoes, then more people would use the mess. You can look far smarter in that rig than some tight b'stard who has been to ASDA and bought a pair of tight polyester trousers and shirt combo for £8, you can almost feel the static when they walk past you.

As for those who hate the mess, never understood that. I always seem to have a laugh and I know I can get wrecked and not worry about making a tit of myself in front of the lads, just the err badge.

stedian

Swinger
WitchfinderGeneral said:
Stedian. You know, I have had the pleasure (probably the wrong word) of reading several of your post disparaging the Warrant Officers and Sergeants Mess as an institution.

Having examined them and mulled over their content, I find it difficult to believe that you have any place in the forces never mind the Mess. Were you this annoying as a Corporal and a private soldier.

This endeavour we (unfortunately I suppose I have to involve you in this) are embarked upon is not a normal job. In no other profession are you asked to commit the ultimate selfless act of laying down your life. No other Job asks of its employees to suspended their belief in humanity and violently take another’s life. And, no other line of work has to rely on comradeship, friendship and working together to achieve the mission at all cost.

This is the strength of the Section, the Company, the Battalion or the Mess. It promotes comradeship and friendship. Qualities in conjunction with Courage, Strength and Valour, which help real soldiers to perform as a unit and carry the fight to the enemy and win. WHAT A LOT OF CRAP

It may be that you are a clerk, technician or medic. You may believe that you may never have to serve in combat. But take it from me, if you are fit and drawing a salary the chances are that you will have to serve at some time on operations.

And when you find yourself in a tight spot another SNCO will have to step up and probably save your life or take over your command. And when you have to thank him, I hope he smacks you in the mouth and says “Start attending the Mess you weasel”

Its time to change you tune or get out. The real soldiers out here don’t need oxygen thieves like you around.
Yes i am a technician and i have complted my fair share of tours.And i would love someone to tell me to start attending the mess weasel and i would love nothing better than telling him where to go.

And there you go again change your tune or get out??.So you are an oxygen theif if you dont like the mess that a very intelligent comment.The mess is a thing that should be left in the past. All it is is another pub and personnaly i would rather go down town.

sc_obvious said:
I think if messes lowered the dress standards to something even resembling 'Casual' like clean jeans, polo shirt/shirt and shoes, then more people would use the mess. You can look far smarter in that rig than some tight b'stard who has been to ASDA and bought a pair of tight polyester trousers and shirt combo for £8, you can almost feel the static when they walk past you.

I don't know what Corps or Battalion you are in but most messes I know now adopt this policy.

As long as the jeans aren't ripped or patched up they generally let it go, and if you have a collar on its okay.

heidtheba said:
sc_obvious said:

I don't know what Corps or Battalion you are in but most messes I know now adopt this policy.

As long as the jeans aren't ripped or patched up they generally let it go, and if you have a collar on its okay.
Im REME so have been in quite a few different Corp/Regimental messes and second your reply. I've even been to the occassional mess meeting where they have given the option of polo top instead of suits.

IRON, I've also had a couple of Mess Meeting like that.

It certainly relaxes the mood for the numerous hours drinking to come.(Unless you scurry off home or down to the pub)

zipit

Old-Salt
stedian said:
WitchfinderGeneral said:

This is the strength of the Section, the Company, the Battalion or the Mess. It promotes comradeship and friendship. Qualities in conjunction with Courage, Strength and Valour, which help real soldiers to perform as a unit and carry the fight to the enemy and win. WHAT A LOT OF CRAP

Yes i am a technician and i have complted my fair share of tours.And i would love someone to tell me to start attending the mess weasel and i would love nothing better than telling him where to go.

And there you go again change your tune or get out??.So you are an oxygen theif if you dont like the mess that a very intelligent comment.The mess is a thing that should be left in the past. All it is is another pub and personnaly i would rather go down town.
Is the reason that you would rather go down town because that is where your mates are?

Do you have trouble integrating with other mess members?

Are you the funky cool SNCO who hangs around with his subordinate mates on a regular basis?

I bet if you asked any of the Full Screws around you if they could swap with you, and would they support the mess, most would tear your arm off. But unfortunately for them they have to look up to you, who wants to end hundreds of years of tradition because it interferes with his social standing.

You most probably earnt your way into the mess as much as the next, i can even understand gripes, but to not support it is lunacy.
If your next CR states that you dont support the mess, i bet you complain.

[/quote]Yes i am a technician[/quote]

And here endeth the lesson. Don't get me wrong, I am not trade bashing, however, if you didn't get promoted so quickly and be in the mess after 5 years you would understand that you are joining the most exclusive club in the Army if not a wider audience.

Join the real world where we don't get promotion because of trade and actually EARN your rank as you so say you have done.
After you earn your rank and use values and standards that the Army promotes, I suspect your views may change.

newlynpirate said:
Sennior Rank- Its a JOB for a short time of your life in the big picture of things

Mess Life - For un married (ugly) people

Mess Culture - ............Its 2006 not 1906...The empire has gone,there is less time for family life,people want to go to work,come home and play with the kids not listen to some twwat go on about mess funds/functions/people required for stuff etc etc...Yes have a SNCO bar...Optional functions if you want to attend....Then leave it at that..Make it a CLUB if you want to join,join...
I do believe that you need to get a life and or an education. Let me illucidate, the Sgts' Mess is the most exclusive club any soldier worth his salt would wish to aspire to or become a member of. After all it is the engine room that governs the path of any Regiment anywhere. Wake up!!

zipit said:
stedian said:
WitchfinderGeneral said:

Is the reason that you would rather go down town because that is where your mates are?

Are you the funky cool SNCO who hangs around with his subordinate mates on a regular basis?

I bet if you asked any of the Full Screws around you if they could swap with you, and would they support the mess, most would tear your arm off. But unfortunately for them they have to look up to you, who wants to end hundreds of years of tradition because it interferes with his social standing.

You most probably earnt your way into the mess as much as the next, i can even understand gripes, but to not support it is lunacy.
Well done mate, you have hit the nail on the head! Seniors should support their mess, if not the route to the NAAFI bar is only through the main entrance of the mess.

stedian

Swinger
zipit said:
stedian said:
WitchfinderGeneral said:

Yes i would rather go down town as loads of my mates are there.

And no i have no trouble integrating with mess members i just cant stand the mess, and i have loads of mates who are cpl's.

As i have previuosly stated its just the tradition and everything else i cannot stand i do like a drink. Therefore in my opinion yet again i would bat an eye if they done away with the mess.GOODBYE TO RUBBISH.

nil_oc

Old-Salt
[quote="stedian Therefore in my opinion yet again i would bat an eye if they done away with the mess.GOODBYE TO RUBBISH.[/quote]

I agree with your sentiments stedian -

Are you still here?

Latest Threads