Mess Culture

nil_oc

Old-Salt
That explains the smell of car park stair wells.

nil_oc said:
Have you been sniffing my bed again?

Bed?

I thought you hung upside down from the rafters dale!

dingerr said:
Bed?

I may be a bat, methinks you are too scared to find out.

Ow me foot....

nil_oc

Old-Salt
Dale the snail said:
nil_oc said:
Have you been sniffing my bed again?
I'm never going near your bed again after the last time. I still have the stain in my sock, and the sole of my shoe has dropped off.

Dale the snail said:
dingerr said:
Bed?

I may be a bat, methinks you are too scared to find out.

Ow me foot....
Never (depending on the amount of alcohol consumed :D )

nil_oc

Old-Salt
The amount of alcohol I consume is dales problem and dales alone, unless I am in a grid square other than SPTA.
By the way Joe says you're a CNUT.

(if It's Daytime already)

When I started this thread it was a genuine attempt to understand ‘current’ thinking. I am heartened by the support the mess has received as an institution but saddened by some of the comments from the disaffected few.

I too was young when promoted into the Mess (24 year old non-techi) and whilst there were comments about my young age I was supported by the vast majority of the other members who encouraged me to ‘join in’. In my experience the more you put into the mess the more you got out of it. Opportunities became available to me that would not have been available outside of the mess. I felt I could always go to the mess and ask advice and if I had a problem then I could share it with others who, 9 times out of 10 could help to solve it. The mess is not just about social interaction but it is an important line of communication and support network that is outside the normal chain of command.

Young sergeants should always be encouraged to join in, in the hope that they will develop the habit early and get value for their membership. Those that fail to contribute to the mess but feel they are ‘good at their job and hence should be a SNCO are missing the point. Being a mess member is part of doing their job; in my day it was easy QRs used to say (and may still say) WOs and SNCOs will be [/b]members of the WOs and Sgts Mess. So knowing that being a SNCO will entail being a member of the mess, when a Cpl is offered and accepts promotion they are also accepting that they are required to become a mess member. What they get out of their membership is up to them but I would suggest those that don’t get much don’t give much either.

nite_of_the_realm said:
When I started this thread it was a genuine attempt to understand ‘current’ thinking. I am heartened by the support the mess has received as an institution but saddened by some of the comments from the disaffected few.

I too was young when promoted into the Mess (24 year old non-techi) and whilst there were comments about my young age I was supported by the vast majority of the other members who encouraged me to ‘join in’. In my experience the more you put into the mess the more you got out of it. Opportunities became available to me that would not have been available outside of the mess. I felt I could always go to the mess and ask advice and if I had a problem then I could share it with others who, 9 times out of 10 could help to solve it. The mess is not just about social interaction but it is an important line of communication and support network that is outside the normal chain of command.

Young sergeants should always be encouraged to join in, in the hope that they will develop the habit early and get value for their membership. Those that fail to contribute to the mess but feel they are ‘good at their job and hence should be a SNCO are missing the point. Being a mess member is part of doing their job; in my day it was easy QRs used to say (and may still say) WOs and SNCOs will be [/b]members of the WOs and Sgts Mess. So knowing that being a SNCO will entail being a member of the mess, when a Cpl is offered and accepts promotion they are also accepting that they are required to become a mess member. What they get out of their membership is up to them but I would suggest those that don’t get much don’t give much either.
Exactly now get the fcuking beers in. Only joking :D

Latest Threads