Mess Bill

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by defender, Jun 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While away on a course my mess had a function, they are know telling me that i have to pay for it. I was booked out of the mess and my unit for the duration but have been told i have no choice but to pay.

Where do i stand?
  2. In front of the RSM or the PMC and explain the facts. It's a mistake. If you were booked out..... you don't pay
  3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Have an adult conversation with the RSM, i'm sure this will get sorted. You shouldn't pay.

As a backup, ask to see the minutes of previous meetings - the do will have to have been voted on by the Mess in order to happen, and the minutes should say that the cost (less the amount (if any) voted across from Ents/GPF) will be borne by those attending.
  4. have had chat with the PMC and my CSM both have told me to pay
  5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

How long was you away for?

If you were in station at the time the function was publicised, and nil returns were required but you didn't submit one for non-attendance, it's cough up time.

Be honest, now. :D
  6. the returns were done by the CSM and he did not ask us he just put a blanket one in saying we were going

as for how long i was away for i had spent about 3 weeks in work in a year
  7. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Sounds to me like your CSM is a bit of a cunt on the quiet, then. I'm afraid it's letter writing time, first port of call the RSM. Explain the situation in a formal letter, explain you were not consulted about attendance for a function you were not available for, etc etc. If you still have no joy, bite the bullet and write to the CO (although it's the RSM's Mess, the CO is still the Presiding Officer). If he then fucks you off, get your wallet out and look forward to the next 18 months as PEC :D
  8. Did you pay a Mess bill whilst on course? If so take that to the treasurer and you normal Mess bill will be abated by that amount. At least it's a start.
  9. No i did not pay a mess bill while away as i was not staying in a mess, as for getting money back my mess has gave me my entertainment and all the other things you don't pay when booked out, they just will not give on the function.

But thank you all that have answered what i thought in the first place, i just wanted some out side advice.

Thank you

10. There's no need to vote on functions happening. The only voting needed to happen is the offset from GPF (if there is one). The actual cost of the function does not have to be minuted either, and in my experience most costings are not complete until way after the function has happened.
  11. Defender, don't know what to say now except that if it is just the cost of a function you have to pay it may be worth just biting the bullet and paying. I know there is a principle involved but it may not be worth dying in a ditch over it. Looking on the bright side, if you have to go away again you will be able to confirm with the RSM what you are likely to pay charges for. Unless you are in a Cavalry mess I shouldn't imagine that the bill will be that high...

One last thing; next time your mess has a levy night - take no prisoners! :wink:
  12. Depends how far you want to go. You have been charged for services you neither recieved nor asked for. This is not lawful. You should not have to pay and personally I think you should hold your ground. Log EVERYTHING in case it becomes a matter of intimidation. This sort of thing might have been acceptable in the "old days" but not in the 21st Century. Any pressure put on you to pay is bullying pure and simple. Stand your ground.

Edit to add the following extract

Unsolicited Items

Under the Unsolicited Goods and Services Act 1971, (as amended) it is an offence to demand payment for goods known to be unsolicited, in other words, they were sent to a person without any prior request made by them or on their behalf
  13. Strikes me, from what you have said, that the CSM fcuked up. He sent back a return saying you were attending when you were booked out. As the money has been divvied up, with you classed as a no show, then basically the mess is out of pocket by your bill.

You were signed out of the mess, and did not send in a return saying you would attend. You shouldn´t have to send a nil return as you are booked out.

Er go, you shouldn´t have to pay.

I´d take it to the RSM. The PMC and your CSM are trying to cover up a bodge on their behalf so they don´t have to pay themselves or vote in payment from the mess members to cover the bill. If you just pay it amounts to nothing more than theft (on their behalf) to cover their own mistake.

What is the point in having a mess warning out book if no one is going to use the fecker?

Or pay for the function, and as stated above, rip the piss royally out of all future dos.

And if you really want to up the ante, not only warn out next time, but also send a letter (formal of course) to your CSM and the PMC warning them of your impending absence.
  14. 2 points here:

1. If nil returns were required, the mess manager/acc't should have checked the Warn out book to discount those personnel absent from station.

2. As above the CSM/PMC have fooked up by indicating that you would attend. Approach the RSM, he can authorise you to be re-imbursed, it will show as an expenditure in the mess I&E and will be written off from GPF. No further costs would be incurred to anyone else