MERT

I'll be honest every time I've stuck my mighty love Python in a nurse with a commission it's been more bother than it was worth
Deffo.

Although TA Psych Nurses can be excluded.

I'm pretty sure that the Lynx C/S in South Armagh were carrying "giving sets", and that was in 1997 and they were AAC. Well it's what we were always told when we were there.
They were.

I got trained on A100 sets in 99. Hartmanns/compound sodium lactate. Sodium Chloride and Heamocell.

A 2RGJ chap dripped himself on the course. Even more impressive, he was hung over.

@Himmler74

Why the show again braincell?

When I say I'm shocked that the Army Medical Service wasn't prepared

And that a commander is responsible for their units training

@Himmler74

Why the show again braincell?

When I say I'm shocked that the Army Medical Service wasn't prepared

And that a commander is responsible for their units training
She's a nurse. Commissioned yes. Not necessarily the commander of the unit... believe it or not.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
She was also featured in a documentary episode I remember watching

Frontline Medicine: Survival

Seems the can't get enough of the lime light these days
The documentary was made in 2011. The piece in the Paper Which May Not Be Named came out 4years later.

I was involved with the BBC team who made it.

Like others who have posted , I met Charlie in theatre.

To me ,she seemed one of the more self effacing members of the team.

MERT saved literally hundreds of British,Afghan and American lives on Op Herrick.

If you were alive when you were put on the ac, you had a better than 90% chance of getting to the Role 3 alive.

I take my hat off to everyone who served on MERT, from the pilots to the protection teams as well as the Defence Medical Service folk.
Difficult, dirty and dangerous work.

Last edited:
Sorry to be so late to this thread.
I also served several MERT tours with Charlie.

I can confirm she's top quality, and allowing for Daily Mail exaggeration, the general nature of the stories are true.

Re: Blood on board: like the use of tourniquets, there was a process of observation, discussion, policy agreement, development of SOPs etc. All this takes time, and some old lessons were learned (much faster by the DMS than civilian organisations tbh). It's far more complicated than this thread would suggest.
The use of blood in early resuscitation (civilian and military) has changed hugely since 2003, driven mainly by the military experience, and this experience has altered the whole way civilian systems worldwide approach trauma.

Re: Numbers- UK troops made up the minority of our flights, and we could pick up a lot of cases in a single lift (IIRC, my personal max was 14 casualties, mixed ANA/US). Dismissing the stories as untrue on the basis of numbers is just wrong.

Re: burnout on tour. We had the field mental health teams visiting us as part of their job, and I know of a number of people who didn't finish their MERT tours due to fatigue (generally moved to other duties). During busy times (summer), it wasn't uncommon to be on duty for days on end, with catnaps only as and when. My busiest time was after a US Pedro was shot down and we had to take up their slack as well as our workload.

Re: Injury numbers/severity: as above, none of us really expected to see living patients with such severe injuries from early 2008 onwards. In almost all other theatres of war, these casualties die long before evacuation. In a future war without air supremacy, this will be the case again.

In fact, the injury severity scoring system has subsequently had to be revised (since we were saving people with near zero survival chance- ISS 75). This graph (called the rainbow graph in RAMC circles) shows survival increasing from 35% in 2003 to 92% in 2012 for a particular injury (approx bilateral lower limb loss), and 5% survival increasing to 15% survival for the most severely injured. Across all injury severities, we saved significantly more by the end of the decade than at the start.
Rainbow graph.gif

Last edited:
Hurrah for the rainbow graph!

Latest Threads