Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I was interested in whether the Mert is tri service or just RAF? Because there seem to be a lot of different views. Can anyone provide the definitive answer? Or indeed, is there a definitive answer?
  2. It is predominently RAF but there are a significant number of Army and RN pers who rotate through it on Ops. Arguably then it is a tri-service capability (although the light blue will say otherwise).
  3. MERT is made up of four RAF Regiment FP personnel, two RAF paramedics, one RAF emergency nurse and a doctor (either anaesthetist or emergency dept), plus, of course, the aircrew. Of these personnel, only the doctor is taken from all three services.
  4. Absolute bollox of course, many Army ODPs have been involved with the MERT, photos of them out with the MERT have appeared in Soldier Magazine, RAMC Journal and the daily papers.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. You're a little out of date, Filbert. The current make-up of MERT is what I have stated.
  6. No he isn't out of date......................you are just chosing to look at one shift pattern. They are are an eclectic mix (and even more so come the summer).
  7. MERT or a MERT?

A Medical Emergency Response Team should be configured from the best mix of clinical providers available regardless of Service, but this will be conditioned by the ability of the providers to be able to operate safely and effectively within the recovery platform. The current Afghan MERT is SH based, but theoretically a MERT could practice within an armoured ambulance variant.
  8. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

And of course there is MERT or MERT(E).
  9. No, what I stated is correct for at least the past eighteen months.

What I have stated is correct. As to what will happen in the future, I don't know. PM sent.
  10. Again, out of date I'm afraid. The MERT is now always MERT (E).
  11. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Not according to the discussions I had last week with, amongst others, Air Comd.
  12. OK - clearly pointless arguing but three army colleagues have worked on the MERT in the last 8 months and there are several more due to rotate through in the next few weeks. The RAF do not (cannot) provide 100% capability.
  13. Agreed

Certainly Last Year there were no ODP on MERT Jan 2010 - May 2010 and the ODPs who replaced me for 6 months never did it and unless 16 have started doing it or changing things but i very much doubt it with only 8 ODP`s there are precious resource out there and cant really be spared from the department
  14. Just because it didnt happen on your tour doesnt mean that it doesnt happen. Ask people such as Matelot (see what I did there, an Army tech whos name just happens to.... it doesnt matter, god Im good!)
  15. Being someone who has lost a son on OH I find this discussion very interesting & also very sad. Who is the lead in deciding who is responsible for Med cover on Herrick & who makes the decision on who mans/controls the MERT? I hope to God it isn't a case of inter service rivalry!