• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

MERT?

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I was interested in whether the Mert is tri service or just RAF? Because there seem to be a lot of different views. Can anyone provide the definitive answer? Or indeed, is there a definitive answer?

It is predominently RAF but there are a significant number of Army and RN pers who rotate through it on Ops. Arguably then it is a tri-service capability (although the light blue will say otherwise).

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I was interested in whether the Mert is tri service or just RAF? Because there seem to be a lot of different views. Can anyone provide the definitive answer? Or indeed, is there a definitive answer?
MERT is made up of four RAF Regiment FP personnel, two RAF paramedics, one RAF emergency nurse and a doctor (either anaesthetist or emergency dept), plus, of course, the aircrew. Of these personnel, only the doctor is taken from all three services.

MERT is made up of four RAF Regiment FP personnel, two RAF paramedics, one RAF emergency nurse and a doctor (either anaesthetist or emergency dept), plus, of course, the aircrew. Of these personnel, only the doctor is taken from all three services.
Absolute bollox of course, many Army ODPs have been involved with the MERT, photos of them out with the MERT have appeared in Soldier Magazine, RAMC Journal and the daily papers.

No he isn't out of date......................you are just chosing to look at one shift pattern. They are are an eclectic mix (and even more so come the summer).

You're a little out of date, Filbert. The current make-up of MERT is what I have stated.
MERT or a MERT?

A Medical Emergency Response Team should be configured from the best mix of clinical providers available regardless of Service, but this will be conditioned by the ability of the providers to be able to operate safely and effectively within the recovery platform. The current Afghan MERT is SH based, but theoretically a MERT could practice within an armoured ambulance variant.

No he isn't out of date......................you are just chosing to look at one shift pattern. They are are an eclectic mix (and even more so come the summer).
No, what I stated is correct for at least the past eighteen months.

Pasteup:
What I have stated is correct. As to what will happen in the future, I don't know. PM sent.

OK - clearly pointless arguing but three army colleagues have worked on the MERT in the last 8 months and there are several more due to rotate through in the next few weeks. The RAF do not (cannot) provide 100% capability.

Agreed

No, what I stated is correct for at least the past eighteen months.
Certainly Last Year there were no ODP on MERT Jan 2010 - May 2010 and the ODPs who replaced me for 6 months never did it and unless 16 have started doing it or changing things but i very much doubt it with only 8 ODP`s there are precious resource out there and cant really be spared from the department

Just because it didnt happen on your tour doesnt mean that it doesnt happen. Ask people such as Matelot (see what I did there, an Army tech whos name just happens to.... it doesnt matter, god Im good!)

E

EScotia

Being someone who has lost a son on OH I find this discussion very interesting & also very sad. Who is the lead in deciding who is responsible for Med cover on Herrick & who makes the decision on who mans/controls the MERT? I hope to God it isn't a case of inter service rivalry!

I would suggest who cares what type of badges they wear. I'm no longer serving but simply having the best medical professionals available would soothe my mind if I needed them.

Inter-service rivalry is great but I suspect these people don't even care what service they are attached to or who they treat.

In this case bitching about who serves in what arm is academic and a waste of energy.

If someone is going to go all out to save my life when injured I wouldn't even care if they were in the RAF Regiment ;-)

You hope to God what isn't a case of inter-service rivalry? Sorry, doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Quite why a random discussion about MERT on the internet should be construed as 'sad' is not something that again, makes any sense. The discussion is precisely that, a random bunch of medical types discussing some random aspects of MERT on an open forum, not a definitive and final opinion on an aspect of medical care or support. Take it for what it is, there will always be inter-service rivalry but there will never be a compromise on clinical care and the support to those at the sharp end will never be found wanting, no matter who makes the decision to provide the MERT capability.

OK - clearly pointless arguing but three army colleagues have worked on the MERT in the last 8 months and there are several more due to rotate through in the next few weeks. The RAF do not (cannot) provide 100% capability.
Just as the army do not (cannot) provide 100% field hospital capability, and haven't been able to for some time, and some army nurses are about to go to sea because the RN can't fill some berths because they are providing the majority of R3 staff on OH14. Indeed, every OH has included CONDO nurses because the DMS is incapable of filling every post.

The med capability on OH has always been a joint effort, particularly at R3, irrespective of which service has provided the lead. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'm not sure why having a pongo ODP on MERT occasionally should be a drama - assuming that they are appropriately trained in pre-hospital care, the aviation environment and MERT ops, and that removing them from their primary task is not detrimental.

MERT is, in any case, just one asset; the USAF and US Army also provide casevac in theatre.

What matters is that patients get the care they need, not what colour uniform providers wear.

Being someone who has lost a son on OH I find this discussion very interesting & also very sad. Who is the lead in deciding who is responsible for Med cover on Herrick & who makes the decision on who mans/controls the MERT? I hope to God it isn't a case of inter service rivalry!
Are you concerned that your son may have suffered as a result of inter service rivalry? If I give my perspective it may ease your mind.

I was H10/11, so Jul09 until Nov 09, the MERT was located on the same camp within Bastion, it did appear to consist of all three services at the time, they appeared extremely professional and there never appeared to be any inter-service rivalry in all the time I saw them there.

On the 15 Nov 09 I was very seriously injured by an IED whilst operating in the Gereshk area of Helmand, I was very fortunate as this was only 10mins flight time from Bastion. The last thing I remember is someone holding my head and saying we've got you. I never knew which service they were, nor did I care, I don't even think they cared, they were far too busy being medical professionals working together to save my life. I'd love to know who they were and where they even started on the mess that was me.

I'm sorry about your son, but I'm sure; NO, I know that everything will have been done to save him. The MERT is the single most important support element in Afghanistan. If the MERT can't fly patrols are minimized, i've had missions cancelled whilst I've been on a SH, because it's required for the MERT (I was a HT operator heading up a C-IED team, so they liked to get us out sharpish). Inter unit rivalry would not get in the way of those that needed help. One of the biggest problems is the distance it has to travel, a good 50mins in some cases, so you're looking at about 2 hours before they can be got back to Bastion.

I've been treated and looked after by people across all three services and civilians, with the exception of 3 (and maybe an ENT consultant) they've all been fantastic.

Latest Threads