MERT 2011 - Combat Camera Team footage

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Goatman, Jun 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

2. Thanks for sharing Goatman, good video.

Interesting use of MSA Sordin headsets, does anyone know if they are issued or nicked from the Pedros?

If issued, I'd like to copy the UOR that provided them.
  3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

You're headphones - whoosh ? Ask an Air Engineer ! Probably pinched or traded.....there is a lot of kit/technique/knowledge sharing goes on around them and Pedro/Dust-Off ....horses for courses....

There seems to be a feeling that MERT has been given more coverage than any other part of the Casevac chain.....not sure I agree.....but I understand how it can feel that way.

As I said, the MERT team I spoke to reserve their admiration for the people on the GROUND who bring them live patients to treat, whilst often under fire themselves......
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Issued, but I don't know the ins and outs of where they came from. Having said that, they are used on the MERT course at Lyneham aswell so I s'pose it must be official...
  5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Patients come into Camp Bastion Role 3 Hospital via three different helicopter EM teams:

Following the MoD Camera team's piece above on MERT , I came across the attached YouTube short on the work of the US Army Dust-Off teams.....although it is now a bit dated it says what it needs to...enjoy:

‪Dust Off Two Seven: the US helicopter medics‬‏ - YouTube

( unless you read Arrse via a DII link - in which case...hey, get back to work !)
  6. I know that from my own experience, the shout that "Pedro" callsign was inbound gave you the warmest fuzzy feeling. You got the impression that those guys would land on top of Terry if it meant they could pluck that casualty off the battlefield.
    Couldn't help but give them a big thumbs up as they back over the top of you!
  7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

No question, though, that MERT has the best clinical skillset, and brings the most sophisticated techniques to the patient. Pedro will go anywhere, but their clinical skills sometimes seem to have been traded for parachuting, diving and other ally aspects of the role. I gather that the cousins see the MERT concept as the way ahead, and are working on something similar.
    • Like Like x 1