Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

Truxx

LE
I have come to the conclusion that the only way to improve it may be to create a parallel system. NHS experts can be consulted but should not be given any responsibility. No point dropping them in to a new environment and bringing their baggage with them. By all means consult experts in France, Germany and South Africa and find out how they get their admin, IT and processes to work. Protect it from political interference, not just gov't but militant lefty unions.
I am minded to start a new thread...

Here's the COVID-19 summary for Monday.
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Monday

Indonesia reported a record increase in cases on Sunday, with 6,267.
Indonesia reported a record daily rise in coronavirus infections on Sunday with 6,267 cases, bringing the total to 534,266, data from the country's COVID-19 task force showed.

Cambodia are closing state schools until the 11th of January due to a local outbreak. Cambodia have reported only 323 cases since the start of the pandemic, and no deaths.
Cambodia's Education Ministry has ordered all state schools to close until the start of the next school year in January after a rare local outbreak of the coronavirus.

Education Minister Hang Chuon Naron issued a statement late Sunday saying that all schools will be shut to prevent students from being infected. Public schools will remain closed until Jan. 11, the start of the next school year, while private schools must close for two weeks, he said. Students in private schools will be permitted to study online.

Cambodia has reported only 323 cases of the virus since the pandemic began, most of them acquired abroad, with no confirmed deaths.

In the US, parts of California are increasing restrictions in anticipation of a surge in cases due to extensive travel and family gatherings during the recent Thanksgiving holiday. Los Angeles are imposing a lockdown starting Monday. California reported 7,415 current hospitalisations, with 1,700 of those in ICU. They have had more than 19,000 deaths since the start of the pandemic.
Counties across California, meanwhile, are imposing stricter COVID-19 restrictions on Monday as cases surge statewide and Thanksgiving travellers return home.

Health officials are preparing for a wave of cases in the next two or three weeks that could be tied to holiday gatherings.

Los Angeles County, for example, will impose a lockdown calling for its 10 million residents to stay home beginning Monday.

The state reported 7,415 coronavirus hospitalizations on Sunday, citing the most recently available data from the previous day. More than 1,700 of those patients were in intensive care units. California's previous record was 7,170 in July.

As of Sunday, California has had nearly 1.2 million confirmed coronavirus cases and more than 19,000 deaths since the pandemic began. The state reported around 15,600 new cases on Saturday.

In Croatia, the PM has tested positive, but is currently OK. The government have increased travel restrictions, and require a negative test to enter the country. They reported 74 deaths and 1,830 new cases in Monday, a record for them.
In Europe, Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic of Croatia has tested positive for the coronavirus, following his wife's positive test over the weekend. A government spokesperson said Plenkovic is feeling fine and will continue to perform his duties from his home.

The government on Monday tightened travel restrictions, requesting a negative test for most people seeking to enter the country. Croatia, which has faced weeks of soaring COVID-19 infections, on Monday reported a record single-day death toll of 74 fatalities and 1,830 new infections.

In Belgium, shops can reopen on Tuesday, but some restrictions remain in effect.
Belgium will let shops reopen from Tuesday but keep other curbs over the festive period,

Italy will start easing restrictions in 5 regions on Sunday.
while Italy will ease anti-COVID-19 restrictions in five regions from Sunday.

Ireland will allow shops, restaurants, gyms, and pubs to reopen next week, and travel between counties will be allowed starting the 18th of December.
Ireland will allow shops, restaurants, gyms and pubs serving food to reopen next week and permit travel between counties from Dec. 18.

The number of new infections is declining in Greece following 3 weeks of lockdown, which is schedule to end in another week.
Meanwhile, Greek officials say the number of new infections is waning in most parts of the country, which has been in lockdown for three weeks. The lockdown initially had been set to end Monday but has been extended for another week.

Greece on Monday recorded 1,044 new confirmed infections — down from a record high of more than 3,000 earlier in November — and 85 new deaths.

Moderna, the developer of one of the early vaccines will be asking for emergency approval of their vaccine from US and European regulators on Monday.
Moderna to ask U.S., European regulators to OK emergency use of COVID-19 vaccine
Moderna Inc. said it would ask U.S. and European regulators Monday to allow emergency use of its COVID-19 vaccine as new study results confirm the vaccine offers strong protection — ramping up the race to begin limited vaccinations as the coronavirus rampage worsens.

Preliminary results seem to indicate it is 94 per cent effective. Of the remaining 6 percent who became infected, none were severely ill.
Moderna created its vaccine with the U.S. National Institutes of Health and already had a hint it was working but said it got the final needed results over the weekend that suggest it is more than 94 per cent effective.

Both Canada and the UK are among the countries who have signed up for delivery of the Moderna vaccine.

The following is a story on the Russian Sputnik V vaccine from Gamaleya Research Institute.
Russia says its COVID vaccine is 95% effective. So why is there still Western resistance to it?

Gamaleya's vaccine is based on the same principles as the Oxford-AstraZenica vaccine, and uses a combination of modified common cold and COVID-19 virus genes to trigger the immune response. It also requires 2 shots.

More data has been releases from recent vaccine trials, and several vaccine experts at UK universities who think that the Sputnik V vaccine will be effective.

Somewhere around 50 countries have either signed up to buy the vaccine, or are negotiating for it. A vaccine company in India has negotiated a partnership to produce 100 million doses during 2021.

Gamaleya themselves say they expect to be able to produce 2 million doses by the end of this year, presumably with production ramping up rapidly in the new year.

Moscow city are setting up 300 vaccination centres this month, and the plan is to vaccinate as many people as possible.

I previously posted a story on how airlines may require vaccination before allowing people to board, and how countries are looking at restricting entry to people who can prove they have been vaccinated. The UK are now looking at restricting entry into restaurants, bars, cinemas, and sports venues to people who are vaccinated.
Don't want the COVID-19 vaccine? You could lose access to normal life, says U.K. minister

People who refuse a vaccine for COVID-19 could find normal life curtailed as restaurants, bars, cinemas and sports venues could block entry to those who don't have proof that they're inoculated, Britain's new vaccine minister said on Monday.

There aren't any details as to proposed regulations for implementing this, but I suspect the intention is to allow various pubs and other venues to operate at full capacity without masks provided all patrons and staff are vaccinated. This would address the issue of letting hospitality businesses try to return to profitability during the transition phase while nationwide vaccination is in progress instead of waiting another year or more until everyone is vaccinated.

None of the vaccines announced so far has been 100% effective, so having the vaccine does not give you any guarantees of personal immunity. However, if you are in an environment in which everyone else is also vaccinated, then the risks are mitigated to a considerable degree.

It is quite possible then that hospitality sports, and entertainment venues may be offered the choice of selecting which control measures they wish to use, either continuing with masks, limited capacity, and other measures, or checking that staff and patrons are all vaccinated. They can then choose whatever makes sense for their situation.

Other than the announcement by the UK government that they are looking into the issue, the above is speculation. However, it seems like a plausible transition measure which will address both public health and economic issues.

I believe that the ONS also look at and record any death certificates where covid is mentioned, whether there is a positive test to go with it or not.

My father in law knows someone whose mother died, and it the Dr put Covid down on the death certificate, despite her showing none of the symptoms or having a positive test.

There have also been similar stories in the papers where people's relatives have died of covid without having symptoms or being tested.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Doesn't do much for accuracy of record keeping, I should think.

I have come to the conclusion that the only way to improve it may be to create a parallel system. NHS experts can be consulted but should not be given any responsibility. No point dropping them in to a new environment and bringing their baggage with them. By all means consult experts in France, Germany and South Africa and find out how they get their admin, IT and processes to work. Protect it from political interference, not just gov't but militant lefty unions.
As an aside, when I started in the NHS my boss had had the funny idea of moving out patient admin so you basically worked for the Consultant or consultants if they worked less for some reason.

This meant that once your referral left your GP it went to one person who got it graded, created your new patient appointment and all your follow-ups. This brought accountability, you were the first point of contact for the patient and you had to keep the waiting list down. If someone called on the morning of a new patient appointment saying they couldn't come you got out the folder of new referrals and (using outdated things like local knowledge) saw who was closest and called them and moved onto the next one if they didn't answer/couldn't attend. This resulted in very few DNAs, clinics were full and the waiting lists all but disappeared.

As this was successful following a merger the new SMT realised that there was no waiting list at Hospital X but Hospital Y had a huge waiting list so the answer was clear. Obviously you don't look at X and see why they're working more effectively in a similar sized town. No you move the patients who were waiting for an appointment at Y to X. So a 100 mile round trip for the patient and now everyone has a big waiting list.

But it didn't stop there, as there was money floating around and they were chasing 'Four Stars' they decided to build a completely new 'Patient Contact Centre' at Hospital Z. So all referrals would go there then be sent back to the Consultant for grading who would return them and then they would book the new patient appointment and return the referrals.

So now if someone called the call centre to cancel that appointment on the morning of the clinic the slot went unfilled and if they forgot to rebook it as they were going to post out a new one it could be months before you were aware they'd been missed and no one knew who was to blame, but that didn't matter as long as the waiting list was under 13 weeks.
Waiting lists and DNAs went up across the board as a result of the new call centre which was shiny and new and therefore a success as you should be seen within 13 weeks unlike our old system which meant you had to wait as long as 4 weeks.

While they were constructing the new build my boss had taken on Hospital Zs outpatients and attempted to get them to work how we were. But this wasn't the way they worked and meant more responsibility and wasn't fair and many grievances were raised.

When I jumped up to management under the NPfIT gravy train I did take a fair bit of delight quashing many of the stupid ideas the SMT were coming out with using the mantra that the software doesn't work like that.
Or indeed at all as it turned out.

crow_bag

War Hero
Doesn't do much for accuracy of record keeping, I should think.
No, I suspect the government would rather over report deaths than under report them.

It took them months to change the criteria to anyone who died within 28 days of a positive test, rather than counting anyone who died and had a positive test at any point in the past.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Same place we got them last time around. Plus the military ones too.

1) How many of the 65,000 told them to do one?
2) How many of "the military" are already employed by the NHS?
oh and
3) How many of the above will be required to stand in for the NHS staff who are off self-isolating or have caught it?

The following is a story on the Russian Sputnik V vaccine from Gamaleya Research Institute.
Russia says its COVID vaccine is 95% effective. So why is there still Western resistance to it?

Gamaleya's vaccine is based on the same principles as the Oxford-AstraZenica vaccine, and uses a combination of modified common cold and COVID-19 virus genes to trigger the immune response. It also requires 2 shots.

More data has been releases from recent vaccine trials, and several vaccine experts at UK universities who think that the Sputnik V vaccine will be effective.

Somewhere around 50 countries have either signed up to buy the vaccine, or are negotiating for it. A vaccine company in India has negotiated a partnership to produce 100 million doses during 2021.

Gamaleya themselves say they expect to be able to produce 2 million doses by the end of this year, presumably with production ramping up rapidly in the new year.

Moscow city are setting up 300 vaccination centres this month, and the plan is to vaccinate as many people as possible.
Because Russia is a kleptocracy run by untrustworthy, murdering crooks only looking out for themselves?

1) How many of the 65,000 told them to do one?
2) How many of "the military" are already employed by the NHS?
oh and
3) How many of the above will be required to stand in for the NHS staff who are off self-isolating or have caught it?

I don't know, mucka, but we did it first time around with shorter notice.

I don't know, mucka, but we did it first time around with shorter notice.
And most of the Nightingale's weren't used or used only a little.

At our lasses hospital there are loads of staff off sick/isolating. Her unit is supposed to be supplying staff to the wards - but they've got so many off (including her) that they're struggling to cope with their own stuff, never mind the wards.

There really are still far too many morons on the loose. Case in point...

Mate of mine, one of their gaffers (in a non essential work sector & have never closed or given staff who can, the capability of WFH) has tested positive for covid on Friday. Staff have been told not to self isolate, get tested if they feel ill & then stay home if positive. Unbelievable attitude from the ******* & the workforce are all equally fearful of raising any concerns.....me i'd easy call the grass em up hotline. Back in the summer when Spain was on the quarantine list another of the gaffers came back straight into the office, chinned off quarantine & cracked on. Someone on the return flight tested positive via track & trace, he was laughing about it. Staff were on tenterhooks waiting for someone to go down with it. Been no checks, enquiries or individual risk assessments of staff & their dependents to see if anyone is in the at risk categories or in a bubble with same.

yes, same here, I simply refused to go back to the office after we had three managers in the background of a Skype call during the previous restrictions chittering about how they were booking cheap weekend breaks to EUrope and not bothering to self isolate when they came back from countries in the isolate list. Sure enough, one got it.

got up this morning to the street rammed with cars and people dressed in black....
yep, the old boy across the way has died of Covid, so the entire extended family, one of whome gave it to him, he had constant visitors and teen grandchildren assorted staying weekends with him up to late week, gather for a 200 person file in the house and mill outside group hug.

ches

LE
yes, same here, I simply refused to go back to the office after we had three managers in the background of a Skype call during the previous restrictions chittering about how they were booking cheap weekend breaks to EUrope and not bothering to self isolate when they came back from countries in the isolate list. Sure enough, one got it.

got up this morning to the street rammed with cars and people dressed in black....
yep, the old boy across the way has died of Covid, so the entire extended family, one of whome gave it to him, he had constant visitors and teen grandchildren assorted staying weekends with him up to late week, gather for a 200 person file in the house and mill outside group hug.

Idiots the lot of em. Another work colleague of my mates is now down with it. Everyone being told to get tester but not being told to bugger off home & isolate. This is a 2rd tier SME business, not essential, has no contracts with any essential services. Bosses just being disreputable *********.

A fourth vaccine company, Jansen Inc., has now submitted their candidate for approval in Canada.
Janssen seeks Health Canada approval for its COVID-19 vaccine

A fourth company has submitted its COVID-19 vaccine candidate for Health Canada approval, Health Minister Patty Hajdu said Monday.

Ottawa signed up to buy up to 38 million doses of Jansen's vaccine in August. Jansen's vaccine requires only one shot instead of two.

Jansen's vaccine is based on a "non-replicating viral vector".
Janssen's vaccine is a non-replicating viral vector vaccine — based on viral material that has been genetically engineered so it can't replicate and cause disease.

Because Russia is a kleptocracy run by untrustworthy, murdering crooks only looking out for themselves?
If you are commenting on the question in the news story headline about the Russian vaccine, I have previously posted on why the Russian vaccine isn't very trusted in the West, at least not so far. Their news media previously hyped the results of preliminary trials at a time which was too early to be saying much about it. The Russian government made a big deal about an "approval" which turned out to be just an approval to start trials rather than an actual final approval. And of course "we" don't like Russia for a variety of reasons. All of these combined to make people sceptical about the Russian vaccine until more solid evidence had arrived.

However, preliminary results from third stage trials look good so far, so they probably have a vaccine that will work and be effective. Since that is the only really new "news" in the story, I posted a summary of that rather than repeating what I've said previously about it.

A number of countries have signed up to buy it, because they can't get supplies from Western vaccine companies until the more influential and more deeply pocketed Western countries have had what they need first. There are several Chinese vaccines which will be ready soon, and which will be widely used outside of the Western world for the same reasons.

We won't hear much about the Russian or Chinese vaccines in most Western countries, but many millions of people outside of the West will when they get their shots next year.

What a massive success that was for the gov; we stayed under the curve so much that the extra capacity wasn't needed.
For which we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

Latest Threads