Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

Again, for interest, where do you get the 1000 - 3000 deaths from. The commentary doesn't say that; it's ambiguous; it says 'thousands'. The 2nd study just covered four cancers.

Did you just make that up?

Christ. Why do you think they chose those four?

Your inability to read that article explains why you have problems understanding risk. Is there anything you can do?

I don't know why they chose those four.

Lung cancer wasn't one of them and that's the UK's biggest cancer killer; it kills 21% of all cancer victims.

You just made those numbers up, didn't you, you little tinker!

You are really incredibly dense. please stop. From the paper:

we estimated the impact of delays in diagnosis that are attributed to the lockdown measures put in place in the UK in March, 2020, for four major tumour types: breast, colorectal, lung, and oesophageal

I'm sure you must be able to get some reading lessons somewhere.

You are really incredibly dense. please stop. From the paper:

I'm sure you must be able to get some reading lessons somewhere.

Fair one; I was caught! Prostate cancer isn't there; that's UK's 2nd biggest killer.

But you still haven't said where you got the numbers from; the commentary says "some thousands" and it infers it doesn't know how many will die.

"Perhaps a precise figure is not needed—the loss of life is big, whatever the method used. "

It's you that has trouble reading.

Norsemaid

Clanker
FYI chaps I'mNOT taking sides as I think WHey - Aye you have a point that covid is all the Drs are capable of thinking and diagnosing . It's as though all other illnesses have disappeared off the planet.
My own experience on Friday In Plymouth was interesting . At the hosptial I was attending the staff Looking after me said that it has been very quiet there throughout the whole time and that itu wasn't full, or even near to full..and no one they knew or worked with had caught covid. . They think that the run of pneumonias last November to Jan was when it hit the hosptial and then it tailed off .

FYI chaps I'mNOT taking sides as I think WHey - Aye you have a point that covid is all the Drs are capable of thinking and diagnosing . It's as though all other illnesses have disappeared off the planet.
My own experience on Friday In Plymouth was interesting . At the hosptial I was attending the staff Looking after me said that it has been very quiet there throughout the whole time and that itu wasn't full, or even near to full..and no one they knew or worked with had caught covid. . They think that the run of pneumonias last November to Jan was when it hit the hosptial and then it tailed off .

On LBC radio, I think Sunday?, they had an NHS exec on discussing the current crisis - apparently hospitalised COVID patients are not going into ITU anymore or something along those lines. Cannot remember exactly what was said, only that they had learned so much about the disease that treatment had improved a lot now.

This is an interesting twitter thread on COVID admissions and ICU capacity. It's a bit of a chicken / egg situation, the ICUs are a bit under their normal occupancy, but that is because the lack of elective procedures requires less ICU, docs are getting better at treating it, and people are getting less sick.

It's a good thing ICUs are not at capacity (unlike other places in Europe) as the situation is likely to get worse over winter.

What are you in hospital for by the way? I appreciate it will be very frustrating if you are having even more delays than usual.

One of the studies they comment on predicts somewhere between 600-1700, which they say is likely an underestimate, and the other between 3200-3600, which they say is an overestimate. So, between 1000 and 3000, ish.

I heard a bloke on the radio a couple of months back. He had a young wife and three kids. He was frustrated and angry. His wife's cancer treatment had been delayed and delayed and she was probably well past the point of surviving it. It had spread all round her body.

I felt really sorry for the fella in a proper pearl-clutching kind of way.

He blamed the focus on covid.

One of the studies they comment on predicts somewhere between 600-1700, which they say is likely an underestimate, and the other between 3200-3600, which they say is an overestimate. So, between 1000 and 3000, ish.

Ah, right so it wasn't in the commentary you provided, but in a separate paper the commentary was commentating on.

Gotcha.

Easy when you're honest isn't it?

Those four cancers they studied didn't cover the 2nd biggest killer though; prostrate cancer.

So the 1 to 3k wasn't a true reflection of the cancer deaths that'll happen.

Both of those stats are in the article though?

Their headline figure of additional deaths directly attributable to a 3-month NHS lockdown was 181–542, across modelling scenarios, followed by 401–1231 additional lives lost due to the backlog of uninvestigated patients

Therefore, the resultant figures of additional deaths of 3291–3621 are likely to be an overestimation for these four cancers

Norsemaid

Clanker
On LBC radio, I think Sunday?, they had an NHS exec on discussing the current crisis - apparently hospitalised COVID patients are not going into ITU anymore or something along those lines. Cannot remember exactly what was said, only that they had learned so much about the disease that treatment had improved a lot now.
But not only that patients aren't being treated in ITU , but that the hospital wasn't admitting many covid patients at all.
I on,y went down to have some allergy testing done .
Yet in another hospital local to me they treat you for covid whether you have evidence of it or not . Crazy. It is polarising folk this covid malarky.

Both of those stats are in the article though?

I saw the word 'over-estimation' and assumed that the commentary discounted the second figure as being too high, so didn't think you'd be quoting them.

And when I read on the commentary never gave what it thought would be the actual guesstimate of death numbers, so was confused why you were so certain it was between 1k to 3k.

I admit, Prof Sikora is a crank; thanks for that, but I don't think I'm closer to knowing what the actual cancer deaths will look like.

Gov's meant to be doing an impact statement on 'rona strategies versus other deaths; that'll be interesting to read.

The Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine. Only £3 a pop. The world needs a vaccine in large numbers.

So next years UK Foreign Aid budget - might one suggest it isn't in cash, it's in vaccine doses. A bit rough on turd world rulers who are accustomed to skimming off "a little" UK cash into their Swiss bank accounts but better our aid actually gets put to use?

Latest Threads