MERS Coronavirus warning

Yet another awful conspiracy theorist spreading doom and gloom...

China only picking up about 5% of cases and the UK only about a third.... Early stages of a global pandemic..
He’s from Imperial College.

I’m slightly biased (I did my PhD there) but they do tend to have the better class of academic.

I’d be interested to hear what the LSHTM have to say on the matter.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Although we have been very critical of the Chinese eating every critter they can catch they are trying to clean up their act, at least at governmental level.

The head of the Chinese State Food And Drug Commission, which is trying to stamp out the wet markets, was executed a few years ago. I think for corruption but they don’t mess about in that part of the world.

I imagine a few Chinese officials might be feeling a muzzle at the back of their head once this outbreak is over.

Last edited:
Wasn't a high number in itself but looked like an outlier to me as the population density there is 9 per sq km compared to over 300 in Hubei province, and well over a thousand in Wuhan itself. It is also thousands of km away from Wuhan.
The average population density is a bit misleading as it's a bit like Alaska - population concentrations surrounded by vast amounts of SFA.

Most of the transport routes to and from stage through the same few major hubs and given the degree of movement back and it's counterintuitively very likely that Xinjiang would see cases early on.

Although we have been very critical of the Chinese eating every critter they can catch they are trying to lean up their act, at least at governmental level.

The head of the Chinese State Food And Drug Commission, which is trying to stamp out the wet markets, was executed a few years ago. I think for corruption but they don’t mess about in that part of the world.

I imagine a few Chinese officials might be feeling a muzzle at the back of their head once this outbreak is over.
They do take the line of "heads will roll " almost literally. They will find someone responsible enough to make a public example of.

Amongst the doom and gloom, there is always a silver lining! :smile:

I've just received a few seconds of amateur mobile phone footage from China which is filmed over a balcony and shows Chinese police in full surgical PPE making gats ready, then it cuts to a street with bodies on the ground, people wailing, gunfire in the background and Chinese police cars and ambulances parked in the street. Probably a hoax but at the same time nothing would surprise me!
Upthread somewhere by the sound of it. I think I commented on it.

I think she has only just arrived in the UK.

The press are saying that she was in contact with the NHS by phone and they advised her to either call an ambulance or if she had access to her own car to drive to the hospital and when she arrived go straight to the ambulance entrance where staff in the necessary protective clothing would be waiting for her.

So she rocked up in an Uber and presented herself to the receptionist staff at the general public entrance.

What a selfish c**t!

God knows how many others are now exposed by her entirely reckless actions?

It does make you wonder whether she could have gone to hospital in China but decided to hang it out until she got to the UK.
Can't blame her entirely. If she fits the criteria and has felt the need to call why can they not task an ambulance? Are we just sending whichever John Q Paramedic who is at the front of the rank to them? Are they suitably equipped as routine?

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
This strikes a bit close to home. Around the corner from my daughter's house and my mother's care home. I live just a few miles down the road.

This may have been an unnecessary precaution but having the Ambulance Service Hazardous Area Response Team respond is sobering.

Edit: corrected the name of HART

Last edited:

miner69er

Old-Salt
Cut Lunch - nah its not that easy. She has most prob dialled 111 and they have advised her to go to the hospital not using public transport - dozy cow most prob does not realise that Uber is alos public transport. If you send an Ambulance you then have to get kitted up (think CBRN) and then have to decontam aforementioned taxi after it has had dozy cow ferried in. When she arrived most probably took out half an A&E as everyone she has been in contact with is now ....... yep Coronafied. So it then works its way around A&E which most prob have people in - who have low resistance or comorbidities (Fat jakey smokers) . Your then on a 3 nurse to one patient ratio - whereas it should be the other way round. Now your talking overstretch and all the pre planned surgery and other stuff has to get cancelled. On top of that we have more croaking - have you seen the waiting time for a crematorium. So where do you store the bodies?

Cut Lunch - nah its not that easy. She has most prob dialled 111 and they have advised her to go to the hospital not using public transport - dozy cow most prob does not realise that Uber is alos public transport. If you send an Ambulance you then have to get kitted up (think CBRN) and then have to decontam aforementioned taxi after it has had dozy cow ferried in. When she arrived most probably took out half an A&E as everyone she has been in contact with is now ....... yep Coronafied. So it then works its way around A&E which most prob have people in - who have low resistance or comorbidities (Fat jakey smokers) . Your then on a 3 nurse to one patient ratio - whereas it should be the other way round. Now your talking overstretch and all the pre planned surgery and other stuff has to get cancelled. On top of that we have more croaking - have you seen the waiting time for a crematorium. So where do you store the bodies?
So would 111 having a protocol to task a properly equipped and briefed vehicle and crew to the location not have avoided all that you suggest? If she doen't have a car how else is she going to travel to the hospital?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
He said back in the day you would have canaries, pit ponies and rats all in close proximity in confined spaces underground with little air flow and lots of dudes coughing a lot so all sorts of weird flu like things would spread. Those who ate Laverbread and smoked pipes were the healthiest.

Now it is probably an old wives tale but.... Question is would the Chinese believe it?! Could be worth a fortune if they do.
Being Welsh I was exposed to Laverbread as a child. I also smoked from the age of 14 till around 2009. Happily free of both afflictions.

Much as I'd love to hear of a colossal jump in laverbread sales to the Orient, I suspect its cobblers.

Interestingly, people think deep mines are cold and dark.....dark maybe but usually hot and humid. Guys like your old miner worked in their vests and wore jackets to walk home on the surface.

And there is a difference between PTHISIS, Pneumoconiosis - aka 'Miner's lung' - and PSITTACOSIS which is a horrible bastard thing carried by birds.....such as ...fackin PIGEONS!

( Feathery diseased winged vermin leprous BASTARDS!!!) :-x:pissedoff:

Last edited:

miner69er

Old-Salt
Cut Lunch - she has a bad cold FFS - its not a death eating zombie bug. That bad cold though can be bad if u have a depleted resistance (HIV / Hep B). Forgive us for not getting a crew into CBRN kit and having to decontam it afterwards - so she could have walked got on a bike - or roller skated! 111 have vehicles - for serioulsy ill people - inluding those who have Corona and other morbidities - think of a kid with asthma made worse by Corona. So having an Ambulance out of sevice for 3 hours for a decontam - cos some dozy wench coukd not be arsed to use her brains.

And anyway everyone knows Ambulances are for transporting drunks - not for seruioulsy ill people

Cut Lunch - she has a bad cold FFS - its not a death eating zombie bug. That bad cold though can be bad if u have a depleted resistance (HIV / Hep B). Forgive us for not getting a crew into CBRN kit and having to decontam it afterwards - so she could have walked got on a bike - or roller skated! 111 have vehicles - for serioulsy ill people - inluding those who have Corona and other morbidities - think of a kid with asthma made worse by Corona. So having an Ambulance out of sevice for 3 hours for a decontam - cos some dozy wench coukd not be arsed to use her brains.

And anyway everyone knows Ambulances are for transporting drunks - not for seruioulsy ill people
Her not getting an ambulance led to too many bodies to store in your previous post. Its not about the degree of suffering of the subject. Its entirely about delaying the spread.

I feel for the Uber driver. He's a contractor so no sick leave. Uber have suspended his account.

ETA Doesn't even need an ambulance actually. How much work would be needed to make the rear of a Black Taxi completely sealed from the Drivers space? Also, those yank-type Limousines already have a seperating screen, it would make it a bit of an event for the bod to boot.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Was talking to an old gipper who used to be a miner and happened to mention psittacosis as per @Goatman's pm...
Slight correction to my lengthy PM (NOTAL)....the nurse who played the Easter Bunny and gave us all a 90p Cadbury's Egg while I was flat on my back in ICU was Japanese IIRC rather than Thai.

Most of the others were either Filipina or Portuguese apart from Agency Magda who was Polish and brisk.

My female visitors were much taken with a male nurse called Santiago who was apparently 'Ooooh, isn't he GORGEOUS'

They were all very kind to some old bozo who gen thought he was knocking on heaven's door

Last edited:

Latest Threads