Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

I made a mistake this morning; we had to do some shopping, so I suggested Monmouth, thinking it was in England, so we could get some coffee and cake when were out.

I also checked the rules to ensure that we could use Wales as a temporary travel corridor, from one part of England to another part of England. We could as long as we kept stops to a minimum and didn't interact with the locals. Fine by me.

So we drove along the Welsh Wye Valley (it's beautiful right now with hills full of Autumn colours) only to find out that Monmouth was all closed, just about.

I asked a random "Are we in Wales?". We were, just.

It's a pain in the arse living on the border.

Here's the COVID-19 summaries for Wednesday and Thursday.
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Oct. 28
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Thursday

The mayor of Mexico City has tested positive for COVID-19 but appears OK so far.
Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said on Tuesday she had tested positive for COVID-19 but was feeling well and had not developed symptoms of the disease.

Slovenia, Croatia, and Bosnia are all reporting record numbers of new infections.
Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia all reported daily records of coronavirus cases on Wednesday as concern mounted in much of Europe.

Germany announced plans for increased pandemic restrictions across Germany through nearly all of November. This affects bars, restaurants, movie theatres, sporting events, trade fairs, and possibly others as well.
On Wednesday, Germany announced plans to shut down large swaths of public life for a month, while France prepared to tighten controls further as COVID-19 surged across the region and financial markets tumbled at the likely cost of a second lockdown.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel met state premiers in a video conference and agreed to a partial lockdown that will see bars, restaurants, cinemas, sports facilities and trade fairs closing from Nov. 2 to Nov. 30.

"November will be a month of truth. The increasing numbers of infections are forcing us to take tough countermeasures in order to break the second wave," Finance Minister Olaf Scholz said on Twitter after the meeting.

The president of Algeria is in Germany for medical checks after aids tested positive for COVID-19.
Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune is also in Germany for medical checks on Wednesday, days after senior aides tested positive for COVID-19.

The 75-year-old said on Saturday that he was self-isolating after senior government aides had fallen sick. On Tuesday, state media said he had been admitted to a specialized treatment unit in an army hospital, without saying if he had contracted the coronavirus.

France announced a lockdown that will last until at least the beginning of December. People will be required to stay at home except to buy essentials, to seek medical care, or for one hour of exercise. However, schools will remain open and people can still go to work if their employer says they cannot work from home.
In France, which has seen more than 50,000 new cases a day, President Emmanuel Macron said the new nationwide lockdown starting on Friday will initially remain in place until Dec. 1 to stop the exponential spread of the coronavirus.

The new measures will mean people will have to stay in their homes except to buy essential goods, seek medical attention or use their daily one-hour allocation of exercise.

"The virus is circulating at a speed that not even the most pessimistic forecasts had anticipated," Macron said. "Like all
our neighbours, we are submerged by the sudden acceleration of the virus."

He said schools will remain open, and people will still be allowed to go to work if their employer deems it is impossible for them to do their job from home.

The president of South Africa is in self isolation after having contact with someone who latest tested positive for COVID-19. This apparently took place at a political fundraising event in Johannesburg on the weekend.
In Africa, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced he's in quarantine after contact with a dinner guest who has tested positive for the coronavirus. The president's spokesperson said the contact occurred at a fundraising dinner of 35 people in Johannesburg last weekend.

New Delhi reported a one day record of new cases on Wednesday.
The total reported Wednesday includes the highest single-day number of cases for New Delhi, the Indian capital — 4,853. The Health Ministry also reported 508 fatalities from COVID-19 across India in the past 24 hours, raising the total to 120,010.

In the Philippines, cemeteries are closed to prevent large numbers of Filipinos from gathering there on All Saints' Day.
The Philippines closed cemeteries and memorial parks late Wednesday to enforce a ban aimed at preventing the annual influx of millions of Filipinos on All Saints' Day, which could spark coronavirus outbreaks.

Sri Lanka have closed a number of museums.
Authorities in Sri Lanka have closed several museums as a new wave of coronavirus cases is detected in different parts of the country.

In France, COVID-19 patients occupy 60 per cent of ICU beds.
COVID patients now fill 60 per cent of French intensive care units, and France is reporting tens of thousands of new cases daily.

The Spanish parliament have extended the state of emergency by another six months. This is the legal means which authorises measures to control the pandemic.
Spain's parliament on Thursday voted in favour of extending a nationwide state of emergency by six months, giving regional authorities extra powers to control a second wave of coronavirus.

Argentina has topped 30,000 deaths, and are currently experiencing one of the largest daily death rates in the world.
In the Americas, Argentina's COVID-19 fatalities rose above 30,000, another grim milestone for a country now battling one of the world's highest daily death tolls.

The western half of the US is experiencing serious problems with the spread of COVID-19. Also cases are increasing in 47 of US states and hospitals are being overwhelmed across the country.
The White House coronavirus task force warned of a persistent and broad spread of COVID-19 in the western half of the United States and urged aggressive mitigation measures.

"We are on a very difficult trajectory. We're going in the wrong direction," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, a member of the task force and director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Fauci noted that coronavirus cases are rising in 47 states, and patients are overwhelming hospitals across the country.

Taiwan meanwhile has passed 200 days without a domestically transmitted case. Their last reported domestic case was the 12th of April.
In the Asia-Pacific region, Taiwan has hit 200 days without any domestically transmitted cases of COVID-19, highlighting the island's continued success at keeping the virus under control even as cases surge in other parts of the world.

Taiwan's Center for Disease Control last reported a domestic case on April 12. CDC officials noted Thursday's milestone and thanked the public, urging them to continue to wear masks and to wash their hands often.

Pakistan have ordered all businesses, including restaurants, wedding halls, and markets to close after 10 pm. On Thursday they reported 900 new cases and 16 new deaths, which is double the rate of last month. These numbers are almost certainly a significant under-count due to limited health resources.
Pakistani authorities have ordered all businesses, including restaurants, wedding halls and markets, to close after 10 p.m. to contain a coronavirus resurgence that began this month. The government on Thursday reported some of its highest single-day totals, more than 900 new cases and 16 deaths. The numbers are almost double those reported some days last month.

Iran reported that one person is dying every 3 minutes from COVID-19 in Iran. They reported a record of 415 deaths on Thursday.
In the Middle East, state television in Iran said on Wednesday that one person is dying from COVID-19 every three minutes, as the Health Ministry reported a record daily toll of 415 fatalities.

The WHO reported that the situation in the eastern Mediterranean was "alarming", with 3 million confirmed cases and more than 75,000 deaths.
The World Health Organization (WHO) also said Thursday that the pandemic has reached an "alarming juncture" in the eastern Mediterranean, which for the WHO comprises 21 states and the Palestinian territories, with a total population of more than 580 million.

Rana Hajjeh, the WHO's director of program management, said at a virtual news conference in Cairo on Thursday that there are three million confirmed cases in the region and the number of deaths has surpassed 75,000.

She said the region has recently seen the highest weekly number of cases since the beginning of the pandemic.

The public health director in Quebec has said that vaccination for COVID-19 could start in Quebec in the early months of 2021, possibly in January. They would start with high risk populations.
COVID-19 vaccinations could begin in Quebec in early 2021, Arruda says
I think in the spring. It always depends on the last authorization of the vaccine to make sure they're safe. But I think by the beginning of 2021 — even in the first month — probably we'll be able to have some doses and begin vaccinations for high-risk populations.

Most of the rest of the story is about local pandemic controls in Montreal and is probably not worth reading.

Silksheen

Swinger
Where I live, I would guess lots on the border are just heading over to England, spreading the plague and their Welshness around.

We need to #buildawall.

Surely there is no one down there to infect ??

Here in north east Scotland we are pretty convinced that there are no caravans or motorhomes left in England as they are all here. The place is full of bemused English people wandering about in shorts and a state of mild hypothermia looking hacked off when we inform them they have overshot Edinburgh castle by about two hundred miles. And yes, this is as hot as it gets.

I went to Cullen in Moray last weekend to drop off some work stuff to a colleague. Went and parked at the beach and as I sat in the car in the golf course car park enjoying my hot tea and bacon roll there were was a family sat outside their motorhome attempting a picnic as confused locals walked past dressed in two layers of North Face.

You're all mad.

I made a mistake this morning; we had to do some shopping, so I suggested Monmouth, thinking it was in England, so we could get some coffee and cake when were out.

I also checked the rules to ensure that we could use Wales as a temporary travel corridor, from one part of England to another part of England. We could as long as we kept stops to a minimum and didn't interact with the locals. Fine by me.

So we drove along the Welsh Wye Valley (it's beautiful right now with hills full of Autumn colours) only to find out that Monmouth was all closed, just about.

I asked a random "Are we in Wales?". We were, just.

It's a pain in the arse living on the border.
But Redbrook is in Gloucestershire. So to get to Monmouth you've had to go through England to get there. From where you live mate, you're better off going into Lydney.

JCC

War Hero
1604070996231.png

I'll ignore your basic dishonesty in comparing absolute figures rather than per 100k or per million population figures, and instead focus on the fact that they are behind the UK on the wave.

View attachment 516326
View attachment 516327

No. JCC previous post was mentioning deaths. Yours mentions cases.

Worldometer (which you seem to be using) shows JCC to be quoting correct according to his info.

Swedens death rate is low even though cases are rising. And to be fair, so is the UK at present.

No. JCC previous post was mentioning deaths. Yours mentions cases.

Worldometer (which you seem to be using) shows JCC to be quoting correct according to his info.

Swedens death rate is low even though cases are rising. And to be fair, so is the UK at present.
The question is whether Sweden is doing something 'right' compared to the UK or if Sweden has got their inevitable deaths out of the way early.

The UK population is a bit less than 7 times bigger than Sweden's so total deaths per capita are broadly comparable. The UK has 680 deaths per million people compared to the Swedes with 587 deaths per million.

anglo

LE
View attachment 516333

You focus on what you want. Start bandying about words like "liar" and "dishonest" then enjoy.
I don't think a straight comparison can be made between the two countries
Considering,
Land mass
Population
Main city population density

Sweden is about 1.9 times bigger than the United Kingdom.
United Kingdom is approximately 243,610 sq km, while Sweden is approximately 450,295 sq km, making Sweden 85% larger than the United Kingdom.
Sweden 2020 population is estimated at 10,099,265 people

Population of the UK- 65 million

Stockholm – 364.9 people per square kilometre

London 5,701 people per square kilometre

JCC

War Hero
I take death stats with a large pinch of salt since I suspect that some heart attack/cancer/whatever who test positive with C19 are chalked down to the lurgi.

PCR "Cases" don't, I think, really mean a lot until infection is confirmed with lab cultures.

I like excess deaths 'coz they're hard to manipulate.

To @Ortholith 's point WRT Sweden I'd add the $64,000 question is will the Swedish figures blowup in the next few weeks. If they do then the Swedish approach that many, including me, are rooting for would be discredited, and we're going to take the hit no matter what we do.

JCC

War Hero
I don't think a straight comparison can be made between the two countries
Considering,
Land mass
Population
Main city population density

Sweden is about 1.9 times bigger than the United Kingdom.
United Kingdom is approximately 243,610 sq km, while Sweden is approximately 450,295 sq km, making Sweden 85% larger than the United Kingdom.
Sweden 2020 population is estimated at 10,099,265 people

Population of the UK- 65 million

Stockholm – 364.9 people per square kilometre

London 5,701 people per square kilometre
Sweden is an experiment that we, hopefully, may be able to learn something from.

Latest Threads