Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

They can't both be right, so how has one of them apparently got it so wrong?

'The vast majority of individuals infected with mild-to-moderate COVID 19 mount a robust antibody response that is relatively stable for at least five months, according to research conducted at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and published October 28, in the journal Science. Additionally, the research team found that this antibody response correlates with the body's ability to neutralize (kill) SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

"While some reports have come out saying antibodies to this virus go away quickly, we have found just the opposite—that more than 90 percent of people who were mildly or moderately ill produce an antibody response strong enough to neutralize the virus, and the response is maintained for many months," said Florian Krammer, Ph.D., Professor of Vaccinology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and a senior author of the paper.'

I think the two studies are looking at different groups of people. One study was looking at the population as a whole, many of whom would have been asymptomatic to very mildly ill. The Mount Sinai study on the other hand was looking at people who were known to have been mild to moderately ill. The former group may on average have been much less ill than the latter.

The Mount Sinai study was looking specifically at people who were believed to have mounted a robust immune response because they wanted to harvest their antibodies for an experimental treatment. It's not representative of the population as a whole.

If this is the case, then it fits right in with the explanation that very mild and asymptomatic cases may not develop lasting immunity because their immune system is not stimulated enough, while those who get a worse case of it develop the full immune response and so have immunity that may last several years.

Again, what this tells us is that a vaccine which can provoke a robust immune response will probably be effective for a useful period of time. It doesn't however tell us how people with very mild infections were responding.

Lots of people in my area are just sticking two fingers up to the WAG and Drakeford.
Local lockdown, its easier for me to get to Aldi in Blackwood or B&Q in Merthyr... But this means crossing county borders.

Bollocks to Drakeford, the bloke is a complete halfwit.
And apparently he is now intending to lift the 'fire break' lockdown on 9 Nov (?) only to confine us to our counties again. In RCT there were over 200 new cases today (numbers are still rising) and we've been confined to the county since mid-Sep; yes, he's really all over this!!

There's also rumours that he intends to reimpose things in Jan 21. Which tells me that he'd have gone for a much longer one, but is scared of the backlash if he tries it on over Christmas / New Year.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Had a chat with our MR Team Doctor last night about some stuff and we turned to Covid.

He's based around Llandovery - families that had never lived together, decided that they'd move in with each other for the two weeks so the kids had someone to play with and they could share stuff... His surgery has been as busy as normal, his drive to work has been as busy as normal, everything is as it was the week before.

Same in my village as far as I can see - the through traffic stopped in March, if anything it's got busier now that Powys has joined the counties South of it in lockdown - it would appear that no one in Wales gives a ****.

Isolated lockdown's will never work. Needs to be the whole country, heavily controlled and close the borders, then once everyone is clear, test everyone that tries to get in, if they show signs, get rid or 14 day quarantine.

Or don't bother - I don't care which, but one or the other.
No change in the volume of traffic at all on the A470; unlike back in Mar / Apr, where it was like a Six Nations day!!

Last edited:
That's the road through our village.
A bit further south than you, where it's dual carriageway!

A bit further south than you, where it's dual carriageway!

Missus is far more interested in what's going on - she reckons England will hit 500 deaths day and BJ will have no option other than to go for a full nation lockdown.

She also reckons that Drakeford knows he's pissing in the wind as far as fully controlling things but is more interested in managing the NHS resources and is using temporary 'fire breaks' to slow things down so it can cope.

Be interesting to see what develops.

Missus is far more interested in what's going on - she reckons England will hit 500 deaths day and BJ will have no option other than to go for a full nation lockdown.

She also reckons that Drakeford knows he's pissing in the wind as far as fully controlling things but is more interested in managing the NHS resources and is using temporary 'fire breaks' to slow things down so it can cope.

Personally, I don't think Drakeford gives a toss about the NHS in Wales. His actions are more driven by a desire to be seen to be using his devolved powers, and to also be seen to be doing something different to Westminster.

ETA: Which led to the debacle over the weekend as to what constitutes 'essential shopping'. Gen dit: there are numerous examples of small shops in the Rhondda (eg. florists, etc.) which should currently now be closed, that are remaining open by suddenly deciding to sell dog food (an essential item)! However, the idiots in Cardiff Bay won't take any enforcement action on them, but would rather virtue signal instead by forcing Tesco's et al to block off complete aisles of what are deemed to be 'non-essential' items. Hmm, I wonder where Welsh Labour's voter base is . . . ?

Last edited:
More consprialoon stuff from that nutter who was suggesting Vit D was somehow useful back in the summer which we all know is nones..........

Oh!
It does?!
When did that happen?

His first graph is quite interesting as we are following the 'gold standard model' set by Belgium, Evil Prefect said so so we're bound to be fine.

And compare and contrast with:

I’m going to postulate that there won’t be another full lockdown in England. North of the border it seems that they are going with the extra tier whereby a near full lockdown could be used in targeted areas. Much as I detest Sturgeon and the SNP, that seems to make far more sense than needlessly screwing over an entire nation when some areas have far less cases and far more manageable numbers. I think that model would be preferred rather than a blanket national restriction. Not that restrictions appear to be doing much anyway other than junking the economy.
Covid in Scotland: Nicola Sturgeon to confirm restriction levels

JCC

War Hero
More consprialoon stuff from that nutter who was suggesting Vit D was somehow useful back in the summer which we all know is nones..........

Oh!
It does?!
When did that happen?

His first graph is quite interesting as we are following the 'gold standard model' set by Belgium, Evil Prefect said so so we're bound to be fine.

And compare and contrast with:

JCC

War Hero
1603963692470.png

JCC

War Hero
It can't be right otherwise Trump was right.

Swiss Treatment protocol​

Prophylaxis
  1. Zinc (50mg to 100mg per day)
  2. Quercetin (500mg to 1000mg per day)
  3. Bromhexine (25mg to 50mg per day)
  4. Vitamins C (1000mg) and D (2000 u/d)

Early treatment
  1. Zinc (75mg to 150mg per day)
  2. Quercetin (500mg to 1500mg per day)
  3. Bromhexine (50mg to 75mg per day)
  4. Vitamins C (1000mg) and D (5000 u/d)
  5. Aspirin (162mg to 325mg per day)

Prescription only
  1. Hydroxychloroquine (400mg per day)
  2. High-dose vitamin D (up to 100,000 IU)
  3. Azithromycin (up to 500mg per day)
  4. Prednisone (60mg to 80mg per day)
  5. Heparin LMW (usual dosage)

It can't be right otherwise Trump was right.
And clearly hes a fat old man so sadly died as a result of getting it.
Bit like my stepson, caught it work last week (though it took 2 tests to tell him he was doomed) got a bit sick and died.
Major Sunray claims he's alive and going back to work in a day or so but I've told her she's in denial as it lethal to all who get it.

Not sure if this one was posted already?
In the BBC: Covid-19: Nearly 100,000 catching virus every day - study

In summary - study by Imperial College London says almost 100k people a day are getting coronavirus.
Again, reporting fails to distinguish “what” coronavirus (cold, flu, COVID etc). And if 100k a day then it won’t be long before we’ve all got/ had it.

Let’s just get on with it. Last man standing wins etc. The human race cannot fight and win against this one. There appears to be no global resolution or cohesion (just different countries trying different things independently).
We (governments) need to pick ourselves up and crack on. It is what it is. Now move forward.

IMO of course...

Latest Threads