Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

Can you imagine the collective shitstorm/meltdown?!
Be fun to watch though wouldn't it? Over here, drippy Drakeford's head would explode!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
There are different types of tests. The PCR tests are very accurate, but are more time consuming to do and take special equipment.

There are other types of tests which produce rapid results, but the results are less accurate. The rapid tests are seen as supplements for PCR tests, not as replacements for them.

If they are les accurate why are they allowed? Perhaps it is a case, yet again, of 'money rules'.

JCC

War Hero
If they are les accurate why are they allowed? Perhaps it is a case, yet again, of 'money rules'.
The PCR tests are accurate, excluding FPs and FNs, in that they detect virus in: those who have had it and are now better; those who have the virus and are going to get better without symptoms; those who are going to go on to develop C19 symptoms and may need intervention.

They indicate a subset of people for further investigation but a Positive PCR test is not a positive diagnosis of C19.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
The PCR tests are accurate, excluding FPs and FNs, in that they detect virus in: those who have had it and are now better; those who have the virus and are going to get better without symptoms; those who are going to go on to develop C19 symptoms and may need intervention.

They indicate a subset of people for further investigation but a Positive PCR test is not a positive diagnosis of C19.

That is all very well but the info I obtained was wrt airlines mainly which seems to leave considerable doubt as to whether commercial aircraft are soft where the Covid 19 is concerned.

JCC

War Hero
That is all very well but the info I obtained was wrt airlines mainly which seems to leave considerable doubt as to whether commercial aircraft are soft where the Covid 19 is concerned.

I take you meant to type "safe"?

You're in a confined box with people who may or may not have a viral load. You're wearing a mask that the jury is out on. The airlines say they are filtering and scrubbing the cabin atomsphere - whether that is effective or sufficient?

I suppose it depends on your tolerance for risk.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I take you meant to type "safe"?

You're in a confined box with people who may or may not have a viral load. You're wearing a mask that the jury is out on. The airlines say they are filtering and scrubbing the cabin atomsphere - whether that is effective or sufficient?

I suppose it depends on your tolerance for risk.

Oops!! Bloomin' auto rubbish. Yes, I did mean safe. Part of the problem where I don't bother to read what I have written being overconfident which doesn't seem to make me any brighter.

In fact, I may be corrected on this but I understood that airlines would not necessarily bother to carry full packs (in order to increase profit) for passenger breathing and hence recycled, contaminated air in the cabin. Whether or not they are merely sensation seeking I don't know but there have been reports of aircrew complaining of symptoms of one sort or another because they work in the small metal tubes day in and day out.

JCC

War Hero
There was a allegation a few years ago that oil leaking into the air that was being heated in the engines on some types of aircraft before being passed into the cabin was making people ill. True, fixed, what you're refering to I don't know.

WRT C19 I think you'd have to find figures broken down by occupation/employer. Maybe in a few years time but I doubt they exist now.

JCC

War Hero
From last night's UK Government press conference:-

1603268637729.png

On the right, in brown, you have the changes in C19 PCR "cases" for week #40 and, in green, those areas where the rate is falling.

crow_bag

War Hero
According to Facebook this is proof that the Tories hate the North West.

It's all just a giant class war, and the Tories are punishing Manchester for some reason apparently.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I think those who can work from home, mostly middle class types, are more pro-lockdown than those who can't work from home, particularly those in hospitality, whose jobs are under immediate threat,, and these are more working class types.

Odd really when one of the main exceptions from the lockdowns is if you have to travel to work you can, but if you can work from home you can/must depending on which lockdown and where

JCC

War Hero
I think those who can work from home, mostly middle class types, are more pro-lockdown than those who can't work from home, particularly those in hospitality, whose jobs are under immediate threat,, and these are more working class types.
The SAGE assessment has been released on the various options for closing.
  • Closure of bars, pubs, cafés and restaurants shows a potential reduction in Rt of 0.1-0.2, though precise estimation very difficult.
  • Closure of indoor gyms, leisure centres, fitness etc. shows a potential reduction in Rt of up to 0.1, though precise estimation very difficult.
  • Closure of close-contact personal services (hairdressing, beauty therapy etc.) states that each event is likely to be high risk as it involves prolonged, close, face-to-face contact. However, use of these services is relatively infrequent, so the overall impact on R is more limited. Potential reduction in Rt of up to 0.05, though precise estimation very difficult.
Interestingly the idea of shielding high-risk individuals which they rate a low impact is also poo pooed due to significant equity issue re. age, BAME, disability; this includes extended kin networks and intergenerational households.

Attachments

• exec-paper-240920.pdf
    533.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Closure of indoor gyms, leisure centres, fitness etc. shows a potential reduction in Rt of up to 0.1, though precise estimation very difficult.

Our local running club (in Wales) is now on pause, after Thursday. At present everyone met outside, in pre-arranged groups of smaller than six. We have a 'covid officer' (he's an ex army WO who has put all the policies in place, military style), and it was very well ran.

Each week we'd be e-mailed a spreadsheet where we chose our speed group, which limited numbers and we're reminded that we're in the local public's eye.

Anyway, all cancelled after Thursday which affects Wor Lass more than me. She's a regular, it's where she meets her friends, it's good for her mental health and well-being; it's her tribe.

Luckily enough our gym is in England, so open, but just a mile down the road into Wales, that gym is closed.

It's weird living on the border, but luckily enough we're on the right side of it.

JCC

War Hero
Our local running club (in Wales) is now on pause, after Thursday. At present everyone met outside, in pre-arranged groups of smaller than six. We have a 'covid officer' (he's an ex army WO who has put all the policies in place, military style), and it was very well ran.

Each week we'd be e-mailed a spreadsheet where we chose our speed group, which limited numbers and we're reminded that we're in the local public's eye.

Anyway, all cancelled after Thursday which affects Wor Lass more than me. She's a regular, it's where she meets her friends, it's good for her mental health and well-being; it's her tribe.

Luckily enough our gym is in England, so open, but just a mile down the road into Wales, that gym is closed.

It's weird living on the border, but luckily enough we're on the right side of it.
It's very slender evidence to destroy lives, businesses, cancel cancer operations etc. We need to bite the bullet and allow it to go through somewhere and test if a) shielding can be done, and b) if it's self-limiting as the Great Barrington lot claim.

The strategy of repeated lockdowns will destroy everyone and everything.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I notice all the posts indicate lockdowns involving hospitality, gyms, pubs, restaurants, etc. but there are actually a considerable number who do have to go to work. People involved in production, manufacturing, maintenance and responders who tend not to be bleating. These are to my mind the ones ignored by younger people and local politicians because everyone assumes it all gets done by some form of magic somewhere.

Dredd

LE
Going back the side effects that survivors have which can range from anything from loss of memory, mental health affects, to iffy bowels. To delusions (not of grandeur !!!) , strokes Anyhow there’s this ’Long Covid‚ Syndrome Remember this guy who recovered from COVID, wheeled through Blackpool hospital clapping and cheering has sadly passed away recently.

However delving into the article (partially not trusting the titles of said tabloid)..it appears ‚was cardiac arrest with the secondary cause given as post-Covid pulmonary fibrosis‘

Article also states there is no autopsy lest HM Coroner investigsting...

poorr chap.

60 days in ICU was a fairly good indicator that his long term prospects were not good anyway. They don't keep you in there for shiggles.

The talk of longer term effects of the Kung Flu are only ever going to be determined once there is a significant number of representative cases, and we probably still don't have that yet so any talk of that at the present it mainly speculation. Also, the longer you leave it between when you had it and when you keel over the less valid it will be to claim it was to do with SARS-cov-2. And we need to know what the overall percentage of proven past sufferers have been unable to fully recover before we can start wetting our knickers over it. Again.

And before the usual knockers come along to rip this post apart - no, I don't really fancy getting it, yes, I am taking reasonable precautions, and no, I don't really care if others get it or what happened to them. I'll be much happier getting the vaccine to seek immunity than suffer a dose of the real thing but you can say that about quite a few diseases. Usually I don't bother with the flu vaccine but this year I will as 1] it is free (to me) and 2] if it helps the community then I will. For the same reasons I insure the house and the car - probably won't need it but just in case.

I notice all the posts indicate lockdowns involving hospitality, gyms, pubs, restaurants, etc. but there are actually a considerable number who do have to go to work. People involved in production, manufacturing, maintenance and responders who tend not to be bleating. These are to my mind the ones ignored by younger people and local politicians because everyone assumes it all gets done by some form of magic somewhere.
The pro lockdown Branch Covidians do tend to forget that particular aspect.

Allowing essential workers only to continue working while the 'worthless workers' all sit at home ends up as a very complex job if, in the unlikely event, they could wrap their tiny brains around the complex series of interconnected dots that mean most peoples jobs are often essential.

Pick any logistics thread apart and you find all kinds of obscure jobs which are suddenly essential.

Latest Threads