MERS Coronavirus warning

Anyone read the book Medusa by Clive Cussler from about 10 years ago?
Eerily similar with a coronavirus starting in China and the Chinese government being open about it after being vilified for trying the hide the SARS outbreak.
Only this was started by the Triads to try and bring down the Chinese gov.
Happily, a NUMA guy (with the help of some beautiful Chinese doctor) finds a jellyfish that makes everyone immune so all ends well and we are saved, saved I tell ya.
Actually, even the spread of disease from China to neighbouring countries and the arguments about how global travel has increased far above that available when the Spanish flu wiped out more than were killed in WW1 so it will spread that much further and faster.

The description of the coronavirus in the book is very close to what is happening now (less the Triads and the jellyfish, of course).
Group discussion yesterday; blokes with police and military experience. The conclusion was that if it only has a 3% mortality rate the same as any flu then why the fuss? Closing cities, travel restrictions, medical staff dressed like they are dealing with Ebola, the rapid establishment of health controls at airports, the Chinese suddenly being very helpful after trying to hush it up in December, and the capper is the rapid action by the WHO.

We all reckoned that there is some serious worry in the corridors of power. Along with them not telling the public everything.

The movie with Matt Damon, Contagion, similar scenario. All started by a bat in Hong Kong.

If they want us to take it seriously, they're going to have to give the disease another name. Those of a certain age will remember when the Corona man used to come down your street once a week in one of those low-slung lorries stacked with crates of fizzy pop. There was money back on the empty bottles, too.

I rather hope that we'll now see the back of these traditional Chinese medicine shops that sprang up on every street. Quackery on stilts. How much can we learn about medicine from a nation that has practically wiped out entire animal species because they think that ingesting their powdered horn will help give them a stiffy? Or one that starts global epidemics because they can't say no to a snack of rancid bats.

If they want us to take it seriously, they're going to have to give the disease another name. Those of a certain age will remember when the Corona man used to come down your street once a week in one of those low-slung lorries stacked with crates of fizzy pop. There was money back on the empty bottles, too.

I rather hope that we'll now see the back of these traditional Chinese medicine shops that sprang up on every street. Quackery on stilts. How much can we learn about medicine from a nation that has practically wiped out entire animal species because they think that ingesting their powdered horn will help give them a stiffy? Or one that starts global epidemics because they can't say no to a snack of rancid bats.
This powdered horn...any idea how much it costs?

Asking for a friend...

Deserter

Old-Salt
The funny thing is the media are apparently buying the Chinese word of 17 dead,...now it seems a bit odd that they are shutting down a city for such low numbers it would not surprise me if there were 3000 dead.

and any nation that allows open air still live meat/bush meat markets where you can pick kill and cook something that is dug out of a hole or pulled off the side of a cave or simply taken cos someone fancies it to eat deserves the hell thats coming their way

Last edited:
Morning @beemer007,
Just got back from Nepal and I reckon it'll flare up there, as it seems to be the place for the Chinese to go especially as there's a 'Visit Nepal 2020' drive going on at the moment with a Chinese actress promoting it. I noticed they seemed to be the majority of foreigners.
Over the last 5+ years they've slowly been taking over businesses particularly in the Jyatha area of Kathmandu where the smell of chinese cooking can be quite strong.
I am always surprised to see so few foreigners wearing masks as the dust(people always brushing the street outside their shops)/pollution(narrow streets, tall buildings, shit loads of cars and motorbikes), is quite bad.
As an aside, every local I know and others I spoke to on the subject were not keen on this influx.
I'd advise anyone visiting to buy a mask before heading there and GTFOD to the hills asap.
1st pic's., is the Indian Gov't recommended KN95(which I use) but you see people wearing variations of the black one which is apparently not up to scratch. Paper ones are also available.

E2a: for mong/predictive spelling.
A climbing-guide who frequently travelled through Kathmandu, pointed out that the dust was largely made up of dried human faeces from either street-shitting or poor disposal of chamber-pot waste etc. Definitely a good idea to have a stock of effective masks, and to keep hands away from eyes as that is another entry point. What fun.

The funny thing is the media are apparently buying the Chinese word of 17 dead,...now it seems a bit odd that they are shutting down a city for such low numbers it would not surprise me if there were 3000 dead.

and any nation that allows open air still live meat/bush meat markets where you can pick kill and cook something that is dug out of a hole or pulled off the side of a cave or simply taken cos someone fancies it to eat deserves the hell thats coming their way

26 now according to the BBC

China does seem to be taking it very seriously.
As @Effendi says, more seriously than the reported scale of the reported problem suggests is necessary.

If he thinks it would help me, er, him...
I can do you your friend some powdered blue rhino horn, very rare, definitely guaranteed to work, 100 sovs.

..............(I've got another one John, grind up a couple more viagara)

Last edited:
26 now according to the BBC

China does seem to be taking it very seriously.
As @Effendi says, more seriously than the reported scale of the reported problem suggests is necessary.
Those numbers seem to be doubling daily.

Those numbers seem to be doubling daily.
Not a very encouraging geometric progression.

830 cases and 26 have died. Now 2 confirmed cases in France, one in Bordeaux and one in Paris.
Also 2 confirmed cases in the US.

They really missed out by not calling it Kung Flu.

Are you ready for the WuFlu?

Last edited:

lets werf some flammen!!!

1579909447621.png

Three cases of the coronavirus have been "confirmed" in France, the first in Europe, according to the French Health Ministry.

The first case involved a patient in hospital in the southwestern city of Bordeaux while the second was in Paris, the minister told reporters.

Both had recently travelled to China and had now been placed in isolation.
The third case, in Paris, was announced later in the evening by the French Health Ministry.

LTFA: France confirms first three cases of Wuhan coronavirus

Latest update, China reports over 1000 cases with 41 died.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Update from Reuters on coronavirus and China virus ie there is more than one virus.

Normally I wouldn't paste a whole article but maybe this is a special case.

WORLD NEWS
JANUARY 23, 2020 / 1:06 PM / A DAY AGO
Factbox: The virus that wears a crown - New China virus is part of coronavirus family

Kate Kelland
2 MIN READ

LONDON (Reuters) - Here are some key features of coronaviruses and what we know about the new virus that was identified in the central Chinese city of Wuhan.

** Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that get their name from what they look like under a microscope - they are spherical and their surfaces are covered with “crown”-like spikes.

** Coronavirus infections can lead to respiratory illnesses - some of which can be severe and deadly, such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), and some of which can be much milder, such as the common cold.

** Coronavirus infections have a wide range of symptoms, including fever, coughing, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. Severe cases can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and death.

** Coronaviruses are transmitted between animals and people and can evolve into strains not previously identified in humans.

** Preliminary research has suggested that the Wuhan coronavirus may have made the jump into humans from snakes. But Chinese government medical experts have also suggested badgers and rats as possible sources.

** Like other coronaviruses, the new China virus is being transmitted from person-to-person via droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It can also spread via contaminated surfaces such as door handles or railings.

** Like the viruses that cause MERS and SARS, the new China virus is an RNA virus, which means it has RNA rather than DNA as its genetic material. This means the virus blends with its host’s DNA, and also means it can mutate rapidly.

** Testing for the new China virus involves using a real time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), which identifies the viral RNA in a sample. These could be from a throat swab, a cough sample, or a blood sample if the patient is very ill.

(This story refiles to correct wording in first paragraph to say virus was identified in Wuhan)

Reporting by Kate Kelland; Editing by Alison Williams
Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Factbox: The virus that wears a crown - New China virus is part of coronavirus family

Last edited:

Latest Threads