Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

AfricaExpat

Old-Salt
Our local hospital, quite worrying:

Eight cases on my stepdaughter's ward alone.

ETA: Thank the lord its only just a touch of flu!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Tragic but as likely as not infections that have mainly arisen from inside the hospital. Similar to Weston General Hospital.

GDog

Old-Salt
What I have noticed is the sheer number of jumped up minor Politicians appearing on our screens at the moment, the majority slagging off Boris and the Government. ‘Ministers’ from devolved Administrations, Mayors of Northern cities, ‘Executives’ or ‘Cabinet Members’ from Local Authorities, you name it. It’s very clear this Country suffers from too many layers of bureaucracy and there are far too many jumped up Political pygmies on our screens at the moment, who appear to be enjoying this crisis far too much! What a gravy train!

If you were a local administrator then what would you do in the face of an appalling Government?

GDog

Old-Salt
In light of all the controversy about testing I was recently reminded of this YouTube comedy video from years ago. At the time it seemed ultra-niche but given the current situation it might have a wider audience that can understand and appreciate it today:

GDog

Old-Salt
What? Neil Fergusson predicted half-a-million deaths if we did nothing.

Gov jumped into action and saved around 450,000 lives.

Why do you find that appalling? Don't you like them saving 450,000 lives?

I suppose my response to that as a local administrator would be to say that Fergusson is not reliable and that the Government's actions have or are going to kill a lot of people too.

Part of the Boris Statement...

"We’ve also had a tragic increase in the number of daily deaths – with 71 yesterday and again today.

And these figures show why our plan is so essential "
Don't forget:
“The answer is, I’m afraid, entirely dependent on how effective we are now in collectively driving down the virus. We know we can do it because we did it before, in March and April."

So job jobbed back then.......Oh! Well how did that happen??

In other news, last week I informed you that I had successfully driven the sea back by shouting at it. I have since learnt that this success needs to be repeated with the sea not only returning where I am but around the country and at different times.
My advisors have told me if we put in the work together now then we give ourselves the best possible chance of holding back the tide and avoiding walking further out to from land to shout at the sea from there. So to defeat the sea we must all go to our nearest shoreline and shout at the sea to go away.

I know some people will think we should give up and let the sea take its course despite the land getting damp. I have to say I profoundly disagree. I don’t think that is what the British people want. I don’t think they want to throw in the sponge, it will only get wet as well.
They want to fight and defeat the sea and that is what we are going to do.

What?.....

Sorry??......

No of course the fact I got cut off by the tide and nearly drowned has not affected my thought process at all.
Remember.
Shore
Shout
Paddle

If you were a local administrator then what would you do in the face of an appalling Government?
Offer solutions rather than constant criticism would be a start. But, it’s much easier to stand on the sidelines and Politicise the pandemic. I’m not saying the Government’s approach has been anywhere near ideal, but the constant whining of the usual suspects is not helping the situation.

I suppose my response to that as a local administrator would be to say that Fergusson is not reliable and that the Government's actions have or are going to kill a lot of people too.

Yes, we're a nation who doesn't like experts. But it was on his advice that we locked down, pretty much the day after his report was published (if memory serves).

What would you like to see the government do?

the Government's actions have or are going to kill a lot of people too.
Delete Government, insert People. The Government can’t be blamed for the ignorance and stupidity of a portion of the population.

Niamac

GCM
Seventy one out of a population of seventy million.

Covid-19 daily deaths in the UK are now 0.0001 as a population percentage.
One MILLION deaths from Covid19 world wide. The world population of 7.5 billion loses a million people every 10 days approximately. That's about 23 million since Covid19 started. Statistically Covid19 at its novel worst is just another cause of death and humanity will, over a period, roll with the punch.

Mike Barton

On ROPS
On ROPs
It's funny how this COVID-19 is dividing traditional loyalties, I have a buddy from Brooklyn NYC, as woke as you could find, in a nice way, he just wants the world to live together in peace and harmony and for polar bears to fructify and feels we could achieve that if we were all just friendly and stopped using plastic straws, that kind of thing, not some sort of Marxist revolutionary.

Anyway as you can imagine as a bloke who worries about melting polar ice caps he is also very concerned about CV-19, plus he has two elderly parents who live in Brooklyn. So we were discussing the issue the other day and he mentioned that the biggest clusters in his home town are among ultra-orthodox Jewish communities, you know the usual anti-vaxxers.

He expressed great frustration at these people (he's part Jewish himself, the liberal type) and felt that if that is how they feel they should all be isolated in their communities, warming to his subject he insisted that these communities should be kept separate from the rest of society with big walls, heck they should only be allowed in and out at particular times, with special passes, getting into full flow now, he demanded that we should be able to identify these people with a distinctive symbol on their outer clothes, preferably bright and yellow, and unmissable so we know what sort of people the rest of the world is dealing with.

It was at this point that I realised he was taking the piss, but given the ferocity and the gleam in his eye, I am not entirely certain.

One MILLION deaths from Covid19 world wide. The world population of 7.5 billion loses a million people every 10 days approximately. That's about 23 million since Covid19 started. Statistically Covid19 at its novel worst is just another cause of death and humanity will, over a period, roll with the punch.

TB kills 1.5 mill, on average, every year.

People just see a big number and get frightened. They don't understand the context.

TB kills 1.5 mill, on average, every year.

People just see a big number and get frightened. They don't understand the context.
I think what concerns governments et al the most, is not so much the death rate but the infection rate, and the potential damage that that can wreak on infrastructures and institutions if allowed to rampage unchecked.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think what concerns governments et al the most, is not so much the death rate but the infection rate, and the potential damage that that can wreak on infrastructures and institutions if allowed to rampage unchecked.

The bit in bold; no-one I know is saying we ought to allow the virus to 'rampage unchecked' or 'rip through the population'.

Handwashing, social distancing, limiting gatherings, asking people to be sensible - like Sweden or Japan - may check the virus enough to prevent institutional over-reach.

We went from 'flattening the curve' to 'staying in till no-one dies' to 'whatever the current rules are' (because I don't know).

The bit in bold; no-one I know is saying we ought to allow the virus to 'rampage unchecked' or 'rip through the population'.

Handwashing, social distancing, limiting gatherings, asking people to be sensible - like Sweden or Japan - may check the virus enough to prevent institutional over-reach.

We went from 'flattening the curve' to 'staying in till no-one dies' to 'whatever the current rules are' (because I don't know).

Keep asking “what is the endstate?” The truth is, we are currently in a situation akin to 3 PARA in Helmand in 2006.

Keep asking “what is the endstate?” The truth is, we are currently in a situation akin to 3 PARA in Helmand in 2006.

I think it's a vaccine, but can cite another expert who says it's not going to be a 'panacea'.

At some stage we're just going to have to live with this.

I'm in AA and I'm on the list of someone who helps out local alkies if they phone for help on the AA hotline.

Anyway, I've got a local lad - a n00b - currently on probation (for something?), is in shit state, and wants help to stop drinking. Surprisingly he seems keen as mustard to come to AA (a fairly rare occurrence), but all the AA meetings in Wales are currently closed and the majority of the ones in Bristol are now on-line.

I think I've found one that's open in Keynsham and I'll take him there (but we might arrive and find it's closed), and it narks me that pubs are open but AA meetings are closed.

People suffer with stuff other than Covid too.

How exactly could they have kept it open whilst the pandemic was in full swing ? BTW , Ferguson reckons you are shite at your job.

Maybe, but it's not in full swing anymore.

Here's an open letter - the twitter account is an oncologist who reckons ten-of-thousands of cancer patients are at risk because 'coronavirus is stealing the headlines' (his words).