Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

Still, the young and healthy should be locked away for reasons we can't quite explain.

Could the reported, but still not fully investigated, still not fully understood, heart, lung and brain damage be part of the reason ?

Some people who become ill with the coronavirus develop neurological symptoms. Scientists are struggling to understand why.

From ‘brain fog’ to heart damage, COVID-19’s lingering problems alarm scientists

I think most medical experts would agree that '' Prevention is better than cure ''

This is not a dig @Ortholith. I just think that there is a lot to this virus that is still not known, and some of what is known is not being widely circulated.

But they are very small numbers (comparatively) and from early on before treatments caught up so it could have well been the 'cure'. Vit D is suddenly being touted as a very effective treatment.

I'm not doubting 'long covid,' our front desk clerk was an early adopter, but is the threat great enough to warrant the current cure for the majority who don't have and haven't been infected?

York last night at 2200, they'll soon start kicking off when they get fines..

I was at the gym last night and it was full of uni freshers, there's sanitiser and wipes everywhere with signs up saying wipe down all kit after you've used it, which none of them were.

York last night at 2200, they'll soon start kicking off when they get fines..

I was at the gym last night and it was full of uni freshers, there's sanitiser and wipes everywhere with signs up saying wipe down all kit after you've used it, which none of them were.
Almost like the fvckwits I the halls of residence in I think Leeds.
bit on radio at oh my god this morning. Young bint in halls saying the should be putting security in the halls because since they have been locked down it’s been one big party with everybody mixing infected and not. Ffs.
No doubt it’s their “ right” to party.
like I said fvckwits. , along with the older town Center pub drinking classes.

Could the reported, but still not fully investigated, still not fully understood, heart, lung and brain damage be part of the reason ?

I think most medical experts would agree that '' Prevention is better than cure ''

This is not a dig @Ortholith. I just think that there is a lot to this virus that is still not known, and some of what is known is not being widely circulated.

Professor Gupta pointed out on Question Time that we don't lock down for the flu, or other viruses, which also have long term consequences for the young.

It's like it's a massive over-reaction, far disproportionate to the risks, and will have far-reaching consequences for the majority of the kids.

Almost like the fvckwits I the halls of residence in I think Leeds.
bit on radio at oh my god this morning. Young bint in halls saying the should be putting security in the halls because since they have been locked down it’s been one big party with everybody mixing infected and not. Ffs.
No doubt it’s their “ right” to party.
like I said fvckwits. , along with the older town Center pub drinking classes.

Anyone who think uni students will give a fvck is deluded.

It's the sense of self-entitlement they have.

It's not their fault, it's their age, forgive them for they know not what they do.

With the majority of students in the severe lockdown imposed up here in Northern Britain, a lot have decided to go against Fuhrer Sturgeon and said sod it and headed off home

With the majority of students in the severe lockdown imposed up here in Northern Britain, a lot have decided to go against Fuhrer Sturgeon and said sod it and headed off home
It's ok, the wee SNP head the ball protesting at the border will stop them leaving.

Where are you seeing this? I recall a lot of discussion of it (particularly with regard to the BAME issue) but it didn't seem to amount to anything definitive.
I seen it yesterday being spoken about in the news after a scientific study. I think it's common sense really. We get sicker in Winter when we retreat indoors due to the colder weather and a lack of sunlight, leading to lower levels of Vit D.

Where are you seeing this? I recall a lot of discussion of it (particularly with regard to the BAME issue) but it didn't seem to amount to anything definitive.
Spain and Israel have both done small studies as well, the Spanish one giving a result of 2% chance of ending up in ICU with a massive dose and 50% chance without. Obviously on patients admitted and it does tick the race box as well.

This headline made me smile.
Coz if the MPs don't grow a pair its where we're heading.

I read in the British press that poor old Boris can't seem to do anything right. Slated at the beginning for not heeding the warnings from Italy and Spain and taking measures earlier. Now taking lessons from Spain and France and getting slated for doing too much too early.

Happening here in Spain as well. The state of alarm was controlled by the central government. The autonomous regions bitched and moaned about autonomy being taken away from them (health is devolved to each individual region). At the end of June, the central government handed over the management to the regional health authorities.

Now, the Madrid Region is showing a huge rise in cases, deaths, hospital admissions and ICU cases. The Madrid mayor put some areas into lockdown (6 parts of Madrid and 31 other areas in the region).
Huge demos (well, a few thousand at each one) about lack of human rights, closure of establishments, loss of jobs and restricted movement.

Cases still going up and the central gov threatened to take over control of Madrid again unless they mayor (or mayoress) did something about it. She put another eight areas into virtual lockdown and is now getting demos about not doing enough and locking down the whole of Madrid as suggested by central government.

It was said last night that the central government would expect the Madrid gov to stand down from its management of the pandemic and they would take over unless the Mayoress closed down the whole of Madrid.

So she has one part of the city with demos bleating about loss of freedom and the other part of the city telling her she has to take heed of the central government and introduce more restrictions especially on movement out and about.

She had appointed a new epidemiologist to take charge of the pandemic (a respected doctor from the university) who took up the post and then resigned within 48 hours because she didn't take his advice on lockdown.

A third of all cases and deaths in Spain have been in the Madrid region. It is the only one with beds and ICU reaching critical capacity.

There has been a death rate of 127 per 100,000 in Madrid. My region, Valencia, has had 29 per 100,000. Others, like the Canary Islands, with 7 per 100,000.

In all, Madrid has had 2,334 cases per 100,000 - about 750 in the last 3 weeks. Again, my region has a case rate of 598 per 100,000 in total with the rate (leaving aside Valencia City) of around 30 per 100,000. That last bit goes up to 43 when Valencia City is included.

AfricaExpat

Old-Salt
@exbleep I am not so sure on the huge rise in cases. There is a lot of data provided by Carl Heneghan today that suggests cases are falling or at worst very flatlined.
Spain 1.jpg
Spain 2.jpg

More details are on his
page twitter.com/carlheneghan

Well, if they think Covid isn't serious they have the opportunity to put their money where their mouth is soon

Covid-19: UK volunteers could be given virus to test vaccine

Doing challenge trials on young - healthy - volunteers is great if it speeds things up, but that sounds like a long way away from finding a vaccine that both works and is safe for the 70+ year olds.

Makes me think we're still many months away from a vaccine.

@exbleep I am not so sure on the huge rise in cases. There is a lot of data provided by Carl Heneghan today that suggests cases are falling or at worst very flatlined. View attachment 507754View attachment 507755

More details are on his
page twitter.com/carlheneghan

I agree in Spain as a whole. Now look at the graph for Madrid and see it shoot up with only a slight fall since the lockdown restrictions in certain areas.

I agree in Spain as a whole. Now look at the graph for Madrid and see it shoot up with only a slight fall since the lockdown restrictions in certain areas.
And as soon as the restrictions are lifted it'll slowly rise again before exploding. It's not like the virus is just going to fcuk off. This is the balance that governments are faced with..how far do you go with restrictions to contain the virus and protect lives and health services versus peoples freedom and the economies.

I certainly wouldn't fancy being a decision maker at the minute. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

AfricaExpat

Old-Salt
Seperate to my suggestion that hospitalisations in Spain are falling there is big news on the PCR testing front. Apparently the Ministry off Health has lowered the level of being positive to 30 cycles of the PCR test which has massively reduced the number of "cases" over the last few days.

They still need to see sense over false positives but it is a major step in getting rid of the casedemic.
Spain 5.jpg
Spain testing.JPG

Latest Threads