Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

tell the people below 50 to keep away from the old codgers
and vunerable, if they kill their Granny to bad

There's a few studies done that amplify your post, here's one I've found:

AfricaExpat

Old-Salt
I've presently got my daughter at home in tears partly because her uni town is now locked down but more because her student life for the last year (between lecturer strikes and covid) and the next 6 months has been completely ruined. Apart from telling her to go to Trafalgar Square tomorrow there's not much I can say. I only hope again that in perhaps three weeks people finally wake up and see how they are now being played by politicians. Whereas in March they had an excuse that it was all new the data is now blindingly obvious. The chart below says a lot to me.

Cases vs deaths.png

I see where you and others are coming from with much of this. The problem is that if the virus were to run through the under 50's group, it would spread amongst the vulnerable anyway. This is because a significant proportion of the under 50's are themselves vulnerable* and because pathogens find a way around human restrictions.

To effectively contain a virus and stop its spread, you need trained and highly motivated individuals. Human nature , eg forgetfulness and laziness goes against this. To give an example, if you airlocked a care home and applied positive pressure, you would always get someone who dropped entry protocols due to sheer accident.

*I always quote the category C vulnerable type 2 diabetics. with a HbA1c haemoglobin bound sugar at or above 76. This would reasonably be expected of a diabetic who liked pies and still liked a drink every other night. So, half of arrse really.

At the moment, we must try to achieve a balance between the needs of people and the needs of the economy. The two are not seperate as per @lastwalt comments.

The thing that both amuses and annoys me is the scientists having their 15 minutes of fame and squabbling about how to deal with these issues when no one has the complete answer. This is because, whilst the mathematics of epidemiology is not too hard, the actions of individuals make chaos of the results, eg the lad chatting up a girl pretending he was an Inspector of Covid. It's funny.

the incidence of diabetes increases very significantly in the over 25’s

Which would have been a great answer if the graph from the ONS was showing infections, unfortunately it is showing deaths.

The UK population is very roughly split between 85% urban living and 15% rural living.

With the best will in the world, and whilst it may appear that some UK Cities have high BAME populations, I refuse to believe that any city in the UK has a BAME population that is 4 - 5 higher than a white population.

View attachment 507067

I'm afraid that your likely reason does not hold much water for me and there must be other reasons / factors for the numbers in the above ONS graph.
And further to your post on COVID-19 being a "racist virus", here's a CBC article on how black people may be more susceptible to infection than the population average. They manage to cover the subject without citing "racism".
Black Canadians get sick more from COVID-19. Scientists aim to find out why
The background is that black people in Toronto are more than twice as likely to have been COVID-19 patients than their proportion of the population would suggest. Researchers suspect the following reasons:
  • The work that people in the communities do, including how many are front-line workers and how many work several different jobs at different locations to make ends meet.
  • Living conditions, such as crowded, multigenerational homes.
  • Pre-existing medical conditions that can increase risk, such as obesity and diabetes, which are often associated with poverty.
They also mention that many black people come from countries where doctors are mistrusted, with that mistrust being based on bad experiences there. They therefore are not inclined to listen to medical advice very closely.

Here's the COVID-19 summary for Friday.
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Friday

In Hong Kong, Disneyland has reopened after Hong Kong has brought the infection rate to near zero.
Hong Kong Disneyland has reopened for the second time as the semi-autonomous Chinese city again appears to have brought new coronavirus cases down to near zero.

The resort shut down during the initial stage of China's outbreak when Hong Kong closed schools and offices. Disneyland reopened after cases dropped off but then was shut again once infections began to climb again over the summer.

The resort reopened Friday with physical distancing measures for lines, restaurant seating, rides and other facilities, along with more frequent cleaning and disinfecting in the areas with the most visitors.

In Russia Moscow have recommended that the elderly stay home and that employers should allow as many people to work from home as possible. This is in response to a rapid rise in infections.
Moscow authorities have issued a recommendation for the elderly to stay at home and for employers to allow as many people as possible to work remotely, following a rapid growth of coronavirus cases in the Russian capital.

On Friday, health officials reported 7,212 new cases, the highest daily surge since June. In Moscow, the number of new daily infections started to grow last week and was up to over 1,500 on Friday from under 700 two weeks ago.

In the US the state of Massachusetts have charged two persons involved in managing a care home with criminal neglect over the deaths of nearly 80 residents earlier this year.
In the United States, the Massachusetts attorney general has charged two ex-leaders of a veterans' care home with criminal neglect in connection with the COVID-19-related deaths of close to 80 residents.

They were both indicted by a grand jury on charges stemming from a decision to merge two dementia units with known cases of COVID-19 together with those who weren't yet infected.

Also in the US, the governor of Florida has removed health rellated restrictions on businesses and announced that cities and counties may not longer collect fines on those who refuse to wear masks. Florida has seen 14,000 deaths so far, and an average of 100 are continuing to die per day and new cases have reached around 2,700 per day.
In Florida, Gov. Ron DeSantis, a known ally of U.S. President Donald Trump, told businesses on Friday they are free to open. The state was a COVID-19 hotspot over the summer and currently has a death toll of more than 14,000 people.

On average around 100 people are dying per day of COVID-19 in Florida and confirmed cases are reaching around 2,700 infections daily.

"The state of Florida is probably the most open big state in the country," DeSantis said at a press conference Friday.

The governor has questioned whether shutting down businesses is an effective tactic against the virus and also announced that cities and counties can no longer collect fines from those who refuse to wear masks, despite regulations.

And further to your post on COVID-19 being a "racist virus"

Are you aware that I was being facetious and poking fun at the current state of the UK when I referred to Covid being a '' racist virus '' ?

here's a CBC article on how black people may be more susceptible to infection than the population average. They manage to cover the subject without citing "racism".

Do you think that the issue listed also also apply to

823.jpg

UK Bangladeshi / Pakistani
UK Other ethnic groups
UK Indians
UK Chinese

The UK is around 85% white and 15% other.

How many of that 85% are also subject to
  • The work that people in the communities do, including how many are front-line workers and how many work several different jobs at different locations to make ends meet.
  • Pre-existing medical conditions that can increase risk, such as obesity and diabetes, which are often associated with poverty.
I'll bet it is more than the estimated 2500000 ( 3.5% ) of the UK population who identify as black.

I had no idea there was a Disneyland in HK.
Apart from Cartels Florida is somewhat famous for the age of its population so is this acceptance of nature doing what it does and allowing people to be free to decide how they live their lives?
Or an evil Trump plot to kill black people?

Meanwhile on that well known anti government Marxist website:

Last edited:
I’ve not been in a British city since January, and the last time I was in a town was in the US in March - I live In rural Hertfordshire in a location with not a soul apart from 12 people in 6 houses. I went into Nottingham city centre yesterday with the mrs to take her lad his stuff - he’s at uni and we decided he couldn’t come home as we have a funeral to attend on Monday and if he’d come back, we‘d have to isolate for two weeks as he’s high risk.

City was rammed. Shops were pretty full. Restaurant we ate in at lunch was about 30% capacity. According to the NHS COVID app, it’s a medium risk post code, as is ours in Herts.

social distancing in Notts was none existent. I don’t think they have a hope of contain COVID without a complete lockdown.

An observation.
When The Evil Prefect announced his 'super simple' rule of 6 across the land Coppers banged their heads on hard objects dreading the snitching calls from the NIMBYs we deal with on a daily basis and stopped their normal moans about parking and other pointless whines to embrace the Covid 84 rules.

So far this is what happened in my corner of the Empire::
Day one the usual suspect (who you wouldn't have gotten get odds from a Bookie for him to be first) made his 'I've seen 7 children together call'.

Since then nowt, which is just as well as in the 4 'E's 'Explain' follows 'Engage' and you simply cant with idiotic rules where you need to put a covering on to take 2 steps to a table in a cafe, but then can take it off when you sit down.

It seems the British publics underlaying 2 fingered salute to authority and stupid rules has been reached and the resurgence of the DDR may have stalled.

Winnet

Old-Salt
I had no idea there was a Disneyland in HK.
Apart from Cartels Florida is somewhat famous for the age of its population so is this acceptance of nature doing what it does and allowing people to be free to decide how they live their lives?
Or an evil Trump plot to kill black people?

Meanwhile on that well known anti government Marxist website:

The Esteemed Rowina ;)

Rowina Seidler is a computer science and AI graduate with an MA in religious education. She is a former teacher and current homeschooling mum. You can follow her on Facebook here.

anglo

LE
Are you aware that I was being facetious and poking fun at the current state of the UK when I referred to Covid being a '' racist virus '' ?

Do you think that the issue listed also also apply to

View attachment 507341

UK Bangladeshi / Pakistani
UK Other ethnic groups
UK Indians
UK Chinese

The UK is around 85% white and 15% other.

How many of that 85% are also subject to
I'll bet it is more than the estimated 2500000 ( 3.5% ) of the UK population who identify as black.
Then you would expect a heavy toll in Africa, but that's not so,

The outbreak of the new coronavirus has reached every nation in Africa, a continent of 1.2 billion people.
As of September 20, the confirmed coronavirus death toll on the continent stood at 33,818, with deaths including the former president of the Republic of the Congo, Jacques Joachim Yhombi-Opango, and Somalia’s former Prime Minister Nur Hassan Hussein.

It's possible the reporting system in place is not as robust as that of developed countries, providing a misleading view of the extent of infections. We have neighbouring countries with a shared and very porous border showing vastly different rates of infection and fatalities.

Then you would expect a heavy toll in Africa, but that's not so,

I hear what you say

Let me just say that when India is reporting 6 million cases and Pakistan next door are reporting 300,000 cases, I will take some Countries figures with a huge pinch of salt.

An even bigger pinch of salt is required from the figures coming out of Africa.

I got one of these (a different brand) for Wor Lass, for long ultra marathons; the last thing you want is arse hole chaffing at a 100 mile+ non stop endurance event.

You just stick them into the top of a regular water bottle and use it as a bidet. I've tried it; it's pretty good.

Bring on the bog roll shortage.

View attachment 507273
Is it battery powered?
Asking for a friend...;-)

Wahaaay Students in Manchester locked down for two weeks in their houses of residence.

Bitch, that means they might have to actually do some fecking studying for a change.

June 2021 could be an interesting month :safe::safe:

Latest Threads